U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 48,844 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to purchase a used car and am looking for some
feedback on any good experiences with used car dealerships out there.
Any referrals would be greatly accepted. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 02:26 PM

37,700 posts, read 55,375,930 times
Find a car in your price range. Take it to the shop for a independent check. Dealerships sell cars, its your responsibility to make an informed decision.
Are you paying cash or looking for financing it? What car type/make would you like to own?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM

391 posts, read 586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace67 View Post
I am getting ready to purchase a used car and am looking for some
feedback on any good experiences with used car dealerships out there.
Any referrals would be greatly accepted. Thanks all.
The first step is to figure out what will be a good reliable
used car that stays within your budget. For that you can
check the most recent edition of Consumer Report's annual
automotive issue where they give a chart on which used
vehicles are good bets.

Then go online and start your search of that type of vehicle.
I believe Yahoo has a search function for vehicles that can be
very helpful.

Once you have found a vehicle and given it a pre-inspection
yourself you can call in a professional... perhaps these folks
below:

Auto P. I. Used Car Inspections - Pre Purchase Inspections - Auto Inspections - Mobile Inspections

I believe they will go to where the vehicle is actually located
and do the inspection there. Most dealerships should not have
a problem with that... if they do then walk away.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

166 posts, read 525,036 times
I needed a gas sipper. After many recommendations, I ended up buying a used car from Fernandez Honda. My salesman name is Gilbert. Great experience.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM

37,700 posts, read 55,375,930 times
I really don't give much thoughts about "reliable" or "honest" dealerships. It's a hit-or-miss business. I rely on my own knowledge and strategies.
If you want to buy a reliable car that is worth money you paid - you need to do some homework. Like JosephV55 said: have an idea what you want to buy, before you hit the used car lots.
Check consumer reports for reliability. Check the Bluebook/NADA for reasonable price range. Evaluate your finances. Compare loans if you need any. You might want to check your credit report to know how good it is, before you let the dealer run it for you.
Visit few used car lots after they close. That way you will have peace without some pushy salesman driving you nuts. Find cars you could consider to buy. CALL the dealership about the price ( if you don't see the sticker price posted on the car). Seasoned salesmen tend to "appraise" customers and customize the car price accordingly. Find out the car price and don't let the dealership "fit it" to your monthly payments ( famous Q&A: Q:how much this car cost? A: how much would you like to pay/what's the monthly payments you want to pay?... ). Ask to run the car VIN history.
Make sure to check the car in a car shop. And bargain!
Remember that there are many dealerships with hundreds of cars everywhere. You don't need to buy the first car you see. Make a reasonable offer regardless of the sticker price. Don't let them intimidate you with numbers they just shift around. Be prepared to walk out if you don't get a deal you want. Chances are that they will say: "let me ask my boss again", and you will get the car for money you want to spend on it.
The times when the cars were selling like a hot cakes are over. Even if you make a low offer they still will make profit on the car.

Good luck!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
My parents like Fernandez Honda too.

I used the car buying service on USAA's website (you have to be a member, but mentioning it in case you are.) I was able to look at lots of cars on their website and narrow it down by make, model, mpg, all that good stuff. Then when I figured out what I wanted to go look at, there was a page to print out with the no-haggle price for USAA members. I printed it, went to the dealership, and looked at the car, then took it to another shop and had it checked out.

If you don't know what you want and you want to get into lots of different cars to see how they feel, CarMax is a good place to go, they have tons of cars.

I ended up buying from Ancira at 410 and Bandera, but that was just because they had the vehicle that I wanted at the price I wanted.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM

93 posts, read 169,744 times
Stay away from Damm Auto. I didn't actually buy a vehicle from them, but I drove one that pulled horribly to the right, when I took it to my mechanic to check it out, he said the AC compressor was going out, and to top it off, there was a bulb out on one of the brake lights....and that's how they had it ON THE LOT! And they had a "mechanic" on site. Awful.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreet/PattisonAve View Post
I needed a gas sipper. After many recommendations, I ended up buying a used car from Fernandez Honda. My salesman name is Gilbert. Great experience.
not sure why you would waste money on a honda when you could have gotten a more stylish volvo for under 5k that looks a hell of a lot nicer than a honda, handles better, comes with more options, etc etc.

/hell my 850 makes modern hondas look like poo

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Harmann View Post
Stay away from Damm Auto. I didn't actually buy a vehicle from them, but I drove one that pulled horribly to the right, when I took it to my mechanic to check it out, he said the AC compressor was going out, and to top it off, there was a bulb out on one of the brake lights....and that's how they had it ON THE LOT! And they had a "mechanic" on site. Awful.
there are used car lots on culebra/410 that i would avoid like the plague as well.

IMO its easier (and cheaper) to buy from a private party with cash (not hard to save up 5k for a decent car) and bring a mechanic with you.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM

391 posts, read 586,145 times
Hard to go wrong with a Honda unless you get one the previous owner
was hard on. Mine rolls along without a hiccup with just oil changes every
5k or so and once/month fueling for about 30 bucks depending on prices.

However, I did like the Volvo highway tractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio