U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
That must be an extremely nice location otherwise I really don't see how that property is worth even half that price.
to each his own I guess.
That's kind of the point. Location is everything. Southtown is very desirable now - proximity to downtown (walk in 10-20 minutes depending on where exactly you are), proximity to dining/nightlife, proximity to city events, proximity to the arts, theatre, etc. You're paying first for location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 PM

330 posts, read 500,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Me, for starters. My spouse. Many many of our friends. And by "IT" professional I'm referring to the huge influx of management types from Rackspace who call Lavaca home.

But you probably won't meet us....
Yes indeed. Many Rackspace folks in Southtown and near north, including some founders.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,319,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
first that house wont sell for 255k you can bank on that

second you make our point every time you post and address

go check out 133 on the block or 95% of the houses and tell me those arent slums
Oh. You are right. It won't sell for 255, probably closer to the lower 200s.

"Slums" do not sell for 200 grand last time I checked. They are older homes in a historical district. I'd love to have an older home with charm, however, you have to have money to fix it up, which is the trend now in Lavaca. I have a friend who is currently redoing a house in Lavaca.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM

77 posts, read 106,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
id love to meet a dr or lawyer, scientist or 'it professional' that lives in the area i pointed out at :15

Moderator cut: offensive
Haha, you are conflating an entire large area of town with three old houses Moderator cut: orphaned, ignoring the beautiful environment presented in the rest of the video. And you appear to be doing this merely to annoy people on the internet. Moderator cut: not permitted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-07-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 02:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,319,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Me, for starters. My spouse. Many many of our friends, some of whom are in the video. And by "IT" professional I'm referring to the huge influx of management types from Rackspace who call Lavaca home.

But you probably won't meet us....

Our friends who made the video will be excited to see it's getting so much viewing
Nor my friends who are lawyers and can only afford the smallest house in King William.

There are plenty of lawyers in Southtown. The Courthouse is downtown. Truly slums indeed.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:16 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,902,753 times
Some have obviously never stepped foot or passed through an actual slum. The Camargo St. residences are in Lavaca, a historical district, that will have guidelines in place to protect the area's aesthetics.

Which house exactly is 133 Lavaca? Did you mean the corner one, 132 Lavaca, or the green one next to that, 135? According to BCAD 132 is valued at 109k and 135 at only 40k but it has such a little yard. 109k would be very expensive for a house in any ghetto.

Also the yards might not have immaculate landscaping but they are well maintained. The one or two yards that were not, they will not drive prices down in that block at all. That in itself speaks volumes of the whole value presented in these areas. The residents their do not have the stress faced by their suburbanite counterparts of whom many are watching their homes plummet in value.

Also according to BCAD these houses have only went up in value these last few years even through the housing bubble crisis.

The other mentioned house, 15 seconds into the OP's video, is quaint but far from being a home in the ghetto. It is not even dilapidated and it is telling the owner cares. They fixed the porch, have a birdhouse, and again the yard is maintained.

My house looks better than those, maybe not on the inside though, and we have a detached garage that replaced the original, so we are not exactly worried about property crimes especially since we have immediate neighbors that look out for each other, and it is really safe to walk in the day.

I would rather live somewhere where it was safe to walk at night, I mean when it is just dark, not even 3 AM. We are only one zip code away from Lavaca, I did grow up in 78210 though, but we do have crime. Someone was murdered just a few days ago only three houses down. Down the block two people were murdered a few days before that. Of course if you do not mess with others, don't have an attitude, don't honk at others, then you won't be messed with yourself. So if you must you could call my neighborhood a ghetto, I would probably run to my room and cry for the night, but if you want to call Southtown a ghetto, I am just going to laugh, very hard. I am pretty weak and if I am not afraid of Southtown, not even at night, then it is pretty safe. I have seen actual ghettos, places where I would be afraid to go through at night and most likely to linger anywhere in the day.

Maybe the issue is one of semantics in that some are using ghetto in the pop sense of the word, as in 'that is so ghetto', which is OK, but honestly if speaking about actual ghettos, some are off the mark in their perceptions.

Last edited by Merovee; 04-07-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,308,551 times
Take a little road trip on Google Earth. Zoom on down to Guadalupe street west of I-35 and take a look around.....then take a cruise around the Southtown area. See the difference?

I have a friend that own a glass blowing shop in the Southtown area. I've walked around the area late at night during one of his open houses and never once felt in danger. I'm more wary of getting shot over here on the NW side where I live....used to be so nice and peaceful here.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 PM

77 posts, read 106,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post

go check out 133 on the block or 95% of the houses and tell me those arent slums
133 Camargo?
133 Camargo Street, San Antonio, TX - Google Maps

133 Camargo appears to be a late-nineteenth century cottage built in the vernacular style. It needs a little work, but it is an original structure in a historic district, not a slum (see how subjective perceptions can be?). Sadly, this unique old structure is probably in danger of being demolished within the next few years so someone can build a tacky new McMansion, like the one DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET.

And right next to that is a beautifully restored old mansion.

This neighborhood is clearly experiencing a rapid transition.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
133 Camargo?

133 Camargo appears to be a late-nineteenth century cottage built in the vernacular style. It needs a little work, but it is an original structure in a historic district, not a slum (see how subjective perceptions can be?). Sadly, this unique old structure is probably in danger of being demolished within the next few years so someone can build a tacky new McMansion, like the one DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET
Hopefully not, since it can't be torn down due to historic status (not that some people don't find a way around that, but it's more difficult to do that now)

Oh, Camargo does indeed have some shack looking places, as do most of the streets in the area. At least 1 or 2 places. That's the nature of a revitalizing area, not everything looks the same or is in great condition. 8 years ago, much more of it looked like shacks, including our house (which is better now but still not finished). Now, there are more restored houses than not. Yeah, there's one house in the 'hood with 5 pit bulls. Their poor neighbors have been trying to sell and for obvious reasons no one wants to buy it. That exists. So do the $1mil restored and renovated caliche houses.

You have to be willing to deal with that to live here. If you like every-house-yard-looks-the-same/uniformity, then Southtown is not for you.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM

330 posts, read 500,995 times
Virtually everyone lives in a transitional neighborhood, in one direction or another. That's just the way it works. Very, very few areas will escape some period(s) of decline. If the main virtue of a place is its newness and uniformity, what happens when things inevitably age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio