U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,115,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
SA has some fine restaurants, and Central Market is awesome, but overall the food is better in California. The people are definitely healthier and overall more attractive. Walk around Santa Monica... the sheer concentration of lookers has no equivalent in SA. The weather is possibly the best in the world. But the politics are insane, the cost of living ridiculous, yes there is still smog and it's horrible, and the taxes really kill it. True, TX has high property taxes, but values are lower and anyway you can control that somewhat by living in a cheaper house. The only way to keep your income taxes down is to not make money.

So, I do miss it there, sometimes, but at least I can cry all the way to the bank. And anyway SA does have a lot going for it too. I'm still here. I think economists would call that "revealed preference."
"More attractive?" Maybe at some point years ago, but for all the places I was I didn't see any abundance of beauty while I was there (and trust me, I was looking! ).

And while I wil admit that this city has a bad weight issue, I did see a fair share of overweight individuals in SoCal as well! Not nearly as bad as here, but still bad. I think that's a trend across the nation, but we do suffer more than most places.

I do admit the weather was very appealing, I wish we had a longer transitional period here from winter to summer; but it seems like we don't even get a week of nice temps before the bound to triple-digits. I prefer the heat over extreme cold, but sometimes the former gets too much to bear.

But the politics/government is a deal-killer, and that's never gonna change. Shame, really...

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:06 AM

231 posts, read 729,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but I didn't notice any considering increase in education or job opportunities in SoCal when I was there.

And you speak of the conservative nature of the city as it was a negative. Sorry, but many of us prefer it to the so-called liberal attitudes of California.

I will give you the nod on weather, it was nicer in SoCal but what about all that haze? Is it still smog? It didn't smell bad, but you couldn't see very far.

As for a "healthier diet," that's probably correct; but some of the stuff people were eating there just didn't seem like it was actually food in my book! Honestly, tofu, seaweed and soybeans? About as appealing as soylent green!

And for the most part I did find folks friendly there. Not Texas-friendly, but friendly enough; and much more so than many of the Californian transplants I have met here in Texas. Maybe we're just getting a large influx of their jerks, but for some reason I cannot fathom a bunch of people who love California decided to move here to tell everyone how wonderful it is, which obviously when combined with their criticisms of Texas goes over as well as a fart in church!

Overall, I enjoyed my week in California. I still wouldn't move there, due to some draconian laws; but it went much better than I expected. That negative expectation was probably the result of some Californians I have encountered in recent history...

Cheers! M2
SoCal does have a more educated population and does have more job opportunities than San Antonio, its just right now the economy stinks in CA, go check out the thread on why people move out of SA

conservative or liberal, it doesn't matter, I was referring to the culture shock

Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
SoCal does have a more educated population and does have more job opportunities than San Antonio, its just right now the economy stinks in CA, go check out the thread on why people move out of SA

conservative or liberal, it doesn't matter, I was referring to the culture shock
Right, which is why people are leaving California for droves and the population increase is booming in SA.

As for that educated population, I sure as hell didn't see it in my travels. Of course, maybe that guy panhandling at 7-11 has a MBA, I should have asked!

Sorry, but things in California are not as rosy as people like to paint. Nor are they as bad in SA as a few might try to get folks to believe. The entire nation is going through tough economic times, but compare SoCal with SA and I can assure you that this part of the States is on a lot firmer ground and I am not just talking about the risk of one major earthquake sending the entire lower portion of that state into the Pacific!

As for "culture shock," it's like the weather here. Anyone who doesn't do their homework before moving to this part of Texas and then is surprised to find things they way they are. Moderator cut: rude. It's like moving to France and then being shocked to learn that everyone speaks French! Really?

As the Geico cavemen recommend, do a little research next time...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-12-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Just read this morning that California's budget deficit has increased to $16 billion!

That means more cuts in state services (schools, public safety) and even higher taxes. No wonder people are fleeing that state in droves.

Sure, Texas and SA has felt the economic downturn; but nowhere near as bad as California!

I guess the greater education isn't helping them out too much, is it?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM

77 posts, read 125,136 times
We grew up in Texas then moved away for the military - we lived in California on the "left coast" a long time ago, but most recently on the expensive "right coast" before we moved back three years ago.

Texas isn't for everyone. Politics are run by the conservative side of the Republican Party, so some things you may be accustomed to just aren't available. For instance, the big high-tension latticed electrical towers are everywhere in San Antonio - even high-priced neighborhoods can't avoid them. For another, the statewide women's health program may shut down because the legislature would rather do that than to allow any tax money to go to Planned Parenthood. You can find plenty of companies to buy things here, but maybe there won't be as many small specialty stores for hiking equipment, kayaking, and other muscle-powered recreation. As far as I can determine, there aren't any "walkable neighborhoods" in which you can live near stores and walk to them. So, if these things are important to you it's best to look elsewhere.

Still, many people like it and live here on purpose. Houses are pretty cheap, but be careful of comparing them by square footage; as best I can understand they're measured from the outside, not the inside, so a a 2,000 square foot house might be considered an 1,800 square foot house in other states. Building codes might be looser, too - our houses electrical box has all the wiring run through one main hole, rather than other available, separated holes. There's no state income tax, but there's no free lunch, and real estate tax is definitely higher - maybe three times as high as Northern Virginia.

People are friendlier here than in Northern Virginia, but I can't compere that to California - it's been too long. It's a tough call for a newbie - keep asking tough questions.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 AM

381 posts, read 663,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Just read this morning that California's budget deficit has increased to $16 billion!

That means more cuts in state services (schools, public safety) and even higher taxes. No wonder people are fleeing that state in droves.

Sure, Texas and SA has felt the economic downturn; but nowhere near as bad as California!

I guess the greater education isn't helping them out too much, is it?
OMG! I'm so glad I moved out of that crazy place! I don't know why my mom is still there. They are driving away all the people that create jobs from Cali with their crazy taxes and policies, and only people on wellfare are left behind. What a shame.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 AM

204 posts, read 288,207 times
Why do posters here always say people are leaving CA in droves?

CA's population has increased by about 4 million every census since the 1940s. All of the major cities in CA except for Oakland have had a significant increase in population in the 2010 census.

I suspect people just like to carelessly throw that in there to attempt to strengthen their argument.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,966 times
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
Hi,

I've been living in San Antonio now for about 5 years after relocating here from the Los Angeles area in 2007. It's a bit different but overall I love it. Just do your research and you should be able to avoid the trouble spots. San Antonio is like any major city, you have your areas of problems, just stay north of 410 and you should not have too big of issues. Also, to help avoid CA traffic try to find a spot inside 1604 but outside 410, that will make sense if you look at a map of the city. There are tons of websites that will give you crime statistics based on zip codes and you can also research for good school areas. One of the really cool things of San Antonio is you have places like Austin that is only an 70 miles away if you start craving some CA feel. But the biggest thing that I love about this city is how much nicer everyone is, you can drive around and random people will just wave hi, to just say hi, they don't want anything, it's bizarre when you are coming from CA where the only hand gesture you get from strangers is the single digit hand gesture.

Its seems to me you know facts.Please tell me if its easy to find a job.I worked as a Retail Assistant Manager.I am reading what everybody is saying and I find what I am looking for:safe,hot,large cities to apply.Please help me and my husband to take a proper decision.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM

501 posts, read 837,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Why do posters here always say people are leaving CA in droves?

CA's population has increased by about 4 million every census since the 1940s. All of the major cities in CA except for Oakland have had a significant increase in population in the 2010 census.

I suspect people just like to carelessly throw that in there to attempt to strengthen their argument.
Because of a lot of people do leave California, in droves, but a lot people also move to California.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM

734 posts, read 2,733,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Because of a lot of people do leave California, in droves, but a lot people also move to California.
California population growth slows

California's population has increased by nearly 5 million people over the past decade, but that growth has slowed in recent years and the number of people in the state grew by less than 1 percent between 2009 and 2010, according to the California Department of Finance.

Also, over the past few years, more people have left California for other states than have come here, though foreign immigration and natural increases due to births have kept the Golden State's population on an upward trend to 38.8 million, according to the department's annual population estimate released Thursday.

Demographers say the trend of fewer migrants to California from other states is the new normal and past mass waves of people coming here from throughout the United States, which has been an integral part of the state's history, is now just that - history.

Read more: California population growth slows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or