U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM

3,218 posts, read 7,982,336 times

Advertisements

ISD are building more Taj Mahals schools while claiming less money in the budget for teachers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,407,654 times
Who is ISD? Where are you getting this from?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,089,358 times
First, they are not "Taj Mahals," go inside one of them and you will see they are very basic inside. Cinder block walls, tile floors, very basic.

As for the exteriors, maybe you'll also notice that they all pretty much look the same. That's also an effort to serve money.

Take a look at the cost of the schools NISD has built from the last bond (http://bond.nisd.net/schools/2010 - broken link), tell me how anyone could build such large facilities any cheaper!

Lastly, but most importantly, the money used to build schools is completely separate from that which pays teachers' salaries.

So before launching such a tirade, maybe you should be a little better informed!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,223,233 times
I saw a Taj Mahal-type school built in California on the news. I haven't seen one in San Antonio yet, so if someone could point one out to me..... The newest school buildings I've been in are MacArthur and Reagan. MacArthur looks like a prison and Reagan looks like a small college campus. It's big because it needs to be big. I don't remember anything super fancy about it.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,980,483 times
Same could be said for Plano Sr High in Plano TX and that was built in the 70's, it looks like a jr college.

Brennan is huge. But that's just it...it's large. Not fancy.

Major is right ...the funding for building a school is different than teacher funding. That is nothing new.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,811 posts, read 33,097,272 times
I went to an NEISD school board candidates forum a few weeks ago where someone from the audience brought this up. The candidates basically hung this one on the voters. They said that when voters approve bond issues with fancy schools in them, boards are compelled to build fancy schools. If voters want simpler schools, they should not vote for bond issues with fancy schools in them and that ultimately, voters should get more involved in the discussions to make their preferences known when the bond packages are being designed.

As someone said above, bond money can't be used to pay teachers. Voters keep approving the pie-in-the-sky version of bond issues and not telling boards to dial back their feature lists, so the schools they're getting are dream schools.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,890,403 times
Quote:
tell me how anyone could build such large facilities any cheaper!
Stevens High School has about 1.3 million in architectural detail that does nothing but make it look better on the outside. Yeah, they can build these schools a lot cheaper but then it wouldn't be a testament to the current administrators tenure.

Build them cheaper, a moron can figure this one out if he's never built anything but a doghouse. Go modular. Why do we have to spend millions of dollars for designs for each school when we can design modular buildings that any cheap computer can generate for completed plans in seconds. Design a fairly generic cafeteria, gym, etc and all you have to do is put the pieces together like a puzzle. Got side topo issues? No problem with the right modulars. As far as elevational issues, none of the districts have it as they bench the properties anyway so that they have zero drainage issues. Yeah, they can cut millions from the bonds but as long as they cry "It's for the kids", morons will vote for these overpriced outdated concepts we call schools. It's kinda like the millions spent on technology every year....but that's another subject, along with millions spent on travel.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 23,299 times
The thing is for school districts which have to build new schools in new areas, it would be angering to the average person paying the bond to have to pay for new schools that have nothing to do with their kids' schools. Therefore they get the bond to build more schools and then split the money around the district. That is why NEISD rebuilt Churchill, Mac, and remodeled Madison.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,089,358 times
How many of you have actually participated in the school bond process? I did for NISD in 2007, and can assure you that it is a very in-depth scrutiny of each proposal.

As for 'build them cheaper' mentality, sure there are ways to cut corners but in the end you get what you pay for. When was the last time that a public school in San Antonio was closed? It may have happened, but I sure don't remember it. My point is that these facilities will need to last for a very long time, and such minor savings could end up costing the taxpayers more in the long run.

Plus, how many of you have actually stepped foot inside one of the newer local public schools? Again, I can assure you that there is no extravagance. They are built for one purpose and honestly, many resemble prisons minus the cells and bars. Acting as if the students are basking in modern comfort and amenities is ridiculous, I guarantee you that the vast majority of us would not want to spend our days in such conditions.

Lastly, as for the passing of school bonds, it is a tough endeavor as the people that regularly vote during those elections are the ones usually against it (seniors, etc). There was much concern over the proposed $692M+ bond we came up with, as there is no line-item approval; it's an 'all or nothing' affair.

Education is one of the few areas that our tax dollars are a true investment. If someone can't see the importance of preparing today's youth to become productive members of society, then they are seriously myopic. Moderator cut: off-topic I guess they don't realize the fact that we either pay now or we pay latter, as those uneducated individuals we save a few bucks on now only end up being greater drains on the state and of our tax monies when they can't find a job in the future!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-09-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM

486 posts, read 868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
ISD are building more Taj Mahals schools while claiming less money in the budget for teachers
Which ISD are you referring to? Which buildings are you talking about?

This is the kind of inflamatory comments one would expect from political campaigns, not CD forums...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or