Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 AM

187 posts, read 945,205 times

Advertisements

Im amazed at the lack of shoe reapir. I need soles and heels replaced on some nice leather shoes. The one place I found is overpriced. Can you recommend a good cobbler? Northside? or anywhere.

Thanks.
Mal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
There is a shop on Hildebrand, just east of Blanco. It's a little hole in the wall. I can't remember the man's name. I think it's called Bob's. I've had shoes redone there and it was less than a new pair of shoes. I also take the shoes and boots there that I cannot part with, new shoes would not do. What constitutes expensive may be different for different people. When it comes to my shoes I love, can't beat the man on Hildebrand.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM

187 posts, read 945,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
There is a shop on Hildebrand, just east of Blanco. It's a little hole in the wall. I can't remember the man's name. I think it's called Bob's. I've had shoes redone there and it was less than a new pair of shoes. I also take the shoes and boots there that I cannot part with, new shoes would not do. What constitutes expensive may be different for different people. When it comes to my shoes I love, can't beat the man on Hildebrand.
excellent thats fairly close. The prices I got were the same as a new pair of low end but bettr than payless shoes.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Im amazed at the lack of shoe reapir. I need soles and heels replaced on some nice leather shoes. The one place I found is overpriced. Can you recommend a good cobbler? Northside? or anywhere.

Thanks.
Mal
I use Galindos (sp?) in Leon Valley. He has been there for years. Located off Bandera rd near the liquor store behind Jack n the Box.

I'm super hard on my heels and he recaps my shoes and they always look new.

The cost is very low, can't give $ specifics because I ususally take several pairs at once.

HTH.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,521 times
San Antonio Shoe Repair off of Bitters on the east side of 281 near the Sonic has been good to me for many years. Reasonable prices and great service.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:40 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
I use Galindos (sp?) in Leon Valley. He has been there for years. Located off Bandera rd near the liquor store behind Jack n the Box.

The cost is very low, can't give $ specifics because I ususally take several pairs at once.

HTH.
Yes, I second this suggestion. One minor - VERY minor - caveat. I had taken a shoe in to have the heel recapped. Somehow the enTIRE heel plate had come off a nearly brand new -not-inexpensive pair of shoes!!!

The woman at the counter - she said she was the owner - told me I needed to bring the other shoe because they needed to re-heel them both at the same time, so the shoes were level. I said, no, I didn't bring it with me, and home is too far away to go back and make an entire extra round trip. She actually, at one point, said that she wouldn't do the shoe I brought without having the other. When I made the comment that I had traveled this far, I can, without a problem, travel a little further to a different store, she acquiesed and agreed to fix the one shoe.

As far as I recall, the price was very reasonable.

I can see her point, shoes do need to be level; but it is easily accomplished without having the second shoe. At any rate, they did the work WITHOUT the second shoe and I've been happy with them......

HFH...... interesting close to YOUR intials, HTH... hope they don't ever mix our shoes up!!!!! LOL

Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
San Antonio Shoe Repair off of Bitters on the east side of 281 near the Sonic has been good to me for many years. Reasonable prices and great service.
I second the recommendation. I've used that service 3x and always been satisfied with their work.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Yes, I second this suggestion. One minor - VERY minor - caveat. I had taken a shoe in to have the heel recapped. Somehow the enTIRE heel plate had come off a nearly brand new -not-inexpensive pair of shoes!!!

The woman at the counter - she said she was the owner - told me I needed to bring the other shoe because they needed to re-heel them both at the same time, so the shoes were level. I said, no, I didn't bring it with me, and home is too far away to go back and make an entire extra round trip. She actually, at one point, said that she wouldn't do the shoe I brought without having the other. When I made the comment that I had traveled this far, I can, without a problem, travel a little further to a different store, she acquiesed and agreed to fix the one shoe.

As far as I recall, the price was very reasonable.

I can see her point, shoes do need to be level; but it is easily accomplished without having the second shoe. At any rate, they did the work WITHOUT the second shoe and I've been happy with them......

HFH...... interesting close to YOUR intials, HTH... hope they don't ever mix our shoes up!!!!! LOL

Well that explains why my pant legs are always are uneven! hehe j/k Glad it worked out, I've never heard such a story.

Oh, HTH was posted for "hope that helps" not my initials. Cyber jabber....

Old 05-18-2008, 10:17 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post

HTH.
I have always used Colonies North Shoe repair on Oakgate (Vance Jackson and Wurzbach) and the price has always been fair and the quality extremely high. Curiously, the owner of this place is also named Galindo, Carlos Galindo. They have to be related.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
i am too late with this info but i have learned to buy the plastic heel taps and put them on myself and use shoe glue when the shoe begins to separate from the sole & heel. . by using gel superglue in addition to nails, i ensure the plastic taps stay on longer. seems to work. i use plastic throw away gloves when i do all this to prevent getting this sticky stuff on me. little repair and preventative maintenance stuff but it helps.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-18-2008 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio