U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,347,691 times

Advertisements

This argument reminds me of the old toilet seat up or down argument. The only difference is there are no laws regulating toilet seat positions. I'll just use the freeways legally and take my chances on getting a ticket for doing so. Over 40 years of driving. So far so good.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM

291 posts, read 328,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
You're both wrong. Here is the law specifically:

545.051 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles

It says if you are moving more slowly than others. If I'm going 75 and you're going 70, you're going more slowly than I am and therefore are required to move to the right. And the signs say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". Again, if I'm going 75 and you're going 70, you're going slower than I am.

It's not your duty nor your right to enforce the law. You don't know -- the other person may have a bona fide reason to exceed the speed limit and it's not up to you to decide that they do or not. That's an example of passive-aggressive behavior that helps to incite road rage and could get you killed.

Forcing someone to pass you on the right is dangerous and actually contributes to traffic turbulance and congestion. When someone has to pass you on the right, they'll need at least 3 times the space than you would use if you just moved over and let them by. The Germans rigorously enforce the drive right-pass left rule and that's a big reason why the Autobahn has a lower crash rate and functions better than our freeways do.

one billion rep points for TexHwyMan

Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 PM

409 posts, read 460,857 times
How I miss the Autobahns of Germany...or the highways of Korea...

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM

3,319 posts, read 3,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, that's speed enforcement; not a speed "trap." The latter doesn't exist, people are caught because they are exceeding the posted speed limit. It's not a "trap," they're the ones putting themselves in the position of being caught by breaking the law...
But they could be driving competently and safely for the design and conditions of the road at a velocity that they could competently handle. Does that mean they deserve to incur financial penalties?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
This is what people see when they come to Texas

This is what actually happens.....

Seriously...I used to question why the state and cities spent money on speed limit signs since it appeared that almost no one was following the LIMIT. I was told (and I'm not making this up)... "go ahead and speed. They can't catch ALL OF US". That's sad.
I believe that you should be able to drive at any speed comfortable to you so long as you do not endanger others. Want to go 5 or 10 under because you have nothing to do? Go ahead....in the right lane. Want to go the speed limit because you have an extremely warped sense of what's right & wrong? Go ahead.....so long as you do not impede anyone. Want to go 15 over the limit because you enjoy speed, have things to do & can do it safely? Go ahead.....so long as you do not endanger others and are prepared to face consequences in the form of financial penalty if you get unlucky. Everyone has to be mature about driving, folks.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned

We should all drive as safely as we can at the most appropriate velocities for our needs. The local municipality should rely on only safety as the primary reason for the speed limit on different types of roads, without any other "funny business" motivating it. And all speed limits should be appropriate for the design & condition of the toad. Not too much to ask for, is it?

OP, you should post your spot on this site: San Antonio Texas Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

It could very well help someone someday. That website has certainly helped me. Not so much that I'm a raging speed maniac with no regard for my own nor others' safety, but more so that it has informed me about municipalities where speed "enforcement" is not as much about actual safety as it is in other cities & towns. Knowledge is power! Keep your money in your pocket!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-12-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM

8,367 posts, read 13,305,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I believe that you should be able to drive at any speed comfortable to you so long as you do not endanger others. Want to go 5 or 10 under because you have nothing to do? Go ahead....in the right lane. Want to go the speed limit because you have an extremely warped sense of what's right & wrong? Go ahead.....so long as you do not impede anyone. Want to go 15 over the limit because you enjoy speed, have things to do & can do it safely? Go ahead.....so long as you do not endanger others and are prepared to face consequences in the form of financial penalty if you get unlucky. Everyone has to be mature about driving, folks.
Right, because this city, state and country are all full of mature drivers! You can see that on our roads every day!

Give me a break, Soviet, you really think everyone should be able to drive at whatever speed they think is safe? Right, I'm sure that will work out nice and dandy!

The only reason the autobahns have unrestricted speed areas is because 1) it is a helluva lot tougher to get a license in Germany than the US, 2) Germans are much more disciplined when they drive, and actually obey all traffic laws including speed limits for the most part, and 3) Germany has strict inspection laws that would keep most of the pieces of junk you commonly see on our roads off theirs.

Heck, even with speed limits we are constantly endangered by the poor driving, non-road-worthy vehicles and the horrible decisions by other drivers on a regular basis.

You're actually proposing that they are given even more latitude in this attempts to kill others on our roadways?

Sure thing!

By the way, I would say 90% of people in this country cannot drive as well as they think they can. Go try and get a drivers license in another country, I've done so on numerous occasions and can assure you that 75% of the drivers in this country would fail most tests to qualify for a license outside of the US.

This thread along proves that a majority of those with TX DLs don't even know our own Transportation Code...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM

778 posts, read 466,628 times
Quote:
This is fine, in theory.
However, in my experience this turns out rather poorly. When I drive, I try and set my cruise control at the limit or slightly below or over. I try and stay in the right lane as much as possible to stay out of the way of people speeding "and can do it safely". When I come across someone slower than me, I look to move over and pass. I'm not going to speed up to do it though and as far as I'm concerned I shouldn't have to. When I'm past the person/people I'm passing by a few car lengths I will move back over.
This is where the people speeding safely like to come flying up, ride my tail then the very first opening (usually a little more than a car length) cut off the person in the right lane and go by me on the right.
I see it every day and it annoys me to no end. I'm sure I'm annoying them too, but who is breaking the law?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

391 posts, read 320,451 times
Quote:
And all speed limits should be appropriate for the design & condition of the toad.
Conditions of the road will vary.

The speed limit is not designed to take that into account; however, driver
education and common sense should and often does not.

There are times when it is desirable to driver slower than the speed limit to
avoid an incident.

Lets keep in mind that many, if not most, accidents are preventable.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM

726 posts, read 376,170 times
Please. The speed limits are artificially low and are not about safety. Numerous studies have shown speed alone is not a major factor in crashes, it is proximity and diversity of speed that are the major contributors. These speed traps encourage a pack mentality where cars drive in close proximity to eac other. This leaves less room for error in the event of an accident, road obstruction, etc.

I know I won't change the monds of those defender of the faith types here when it comes to traffic law. But why not just be thoughtful and get out of the way? Get off your high horse, let them pass and go on with your day. A little courtesy goes a long way, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio