U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
 
41 posts, read 80,104 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

YES, report it to SA Animal Care Services. My 21 lb. dog was killed by 2 large dogs (easily 100 lb. each) as I walked him last December. He was leashed and trailing behind me. The first dog attacked without a sound. I pulled it off, but the other dog continued the attack. The owners came running out of their house hearing my yelling and stopped their dogs. My dog died 2 days later after emergency vet care.

It needs to be on record with SA Animal Care Services. We were told by police (husband called them first) to call 311 to report it. Whoever answers will take the info and contact SA Animal Care Services. An animal control officer interviewed us, and then went to the owners' home. Take pictures of the wounds. Inform your HOA. Previous posters are right. A child walking a dog could be next. There needs to be a record of what happened on file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
 
Location: NW near Sea World...and in a house
546 posts, read 1,173,745 times
Reputation: 331
Sorry about your dog.

I would avoid carrying a stick or golf club that can cause a dog to come after you.

I would recommend what other posters mentioned the muzzle in a can or dog mace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
409 posts, read 701,499 times
Reputation: 303
Here's a similar situation but only with the roles reversed. I once walked my dog on a leash (Doberman) when a yapping middle sized dog came charging at him. My dog is basic obedience trained and I had to make a split decision on whether I let him be attacked or let him defend himself so I dropped the leash and let him defend himself. When the other dog was partially mangled I called my dog off when here come the owners of the other dog. They tried to tell me I would be responsible for the vet bill of their dog but in so many words I told them where to go. Who was right in this situation? Nothing ever came of it and they made sure their dog was restrained or in a fenced yard after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
334 posts, read 702,750 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
That's because when a pit attacks your animal, you have to punt their head like a football. I know it sounds cruel, and I'm against animal cruelty, but that's the way it has to be handled. Sometimes that's the only way with a very aggressive pit... or other type of dog.

If I was walking my old girl down the street and she were to come under attack, that's the plan. Hope not to offend anyone, after all it's just an opinion.
I stopped a fight between two pit bulls at a dog park once with a bottle of water. It was all I had, but I poured it on the nose of the dog that had the grip o'death on the other's neck, and he promptly let go (and started trying to snort it all out).

I wouldn't really want to repeat the experiment if I could help it, but if luck finds you with nothing but a water bottle when your dog is getting bit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM
 
181 posts, read 497,164 times
Reputation: 102
Where would you find the tear gas foam or similar things for protection? I love to run and have two small children. I've been attacked before and haven't run regularly in SA because of the dogs. I'd love to find something just in case - this is a fear for myself (running) but also if my kids happen to be out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
9,700 posts, read 14,700,503 times
Reputation: 20766
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTexas View Post
Where would you find the tear gas foam or similar things for protection? I love to run and have two small children. I've been attacked before and haven't run regularly in SA because of the dogs. I'd love to find something just in case - this is a fear for myself (running) but also if my kids happen to be out as well.
Academy sells various kinds of mace, they might have what you're looking for. They keep that stuff on the front wall in front of the cash registers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 AM
 
4,701 posts, read 4,836,265 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
I stopped a fight between two pit bulls at a dog park once with a bottle of water. It was all I had, but I poured it on the nose of the dog that had the grip o'death on the other's neck, and he promptly let go (and started trying to snort it all out).

I wouldn't really want to repeat the experiment if I could help it, but if luck finds you with nothing but a water bottle when your dog is getting bit...
I can't stand pit bulls but more so I really can't stand irresponsible pit bull owners.

My sister had a pit bull and I refused to go in the house unless it was put outside. I didn't care even if she told me how sweet and harmless it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
 
70 posts, read 139,181 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Here's a similar situation but only with the roles reversed. I once walked my dog on a leash (Doberman) when a yapping middle sized dog came charging at him. My dog is basic obedience trained and I had to make a split decision on whether I let him be attacked or let him defend himself so I dropped the leash and let him defend himself. When the other dog was partially mangled I called my dog off when here come the owners of the other dog. They tried to tell me I would be responsible for the vet bill of their dog but in so many words I told them where to go. Who was right in this situation? Nothing ever came of it and they made sure their dog was restrained or in a fenced yard after that.

I would say the person responsible is the one who does not have control of their dog. So the other party in this case.

In reply to the original question, I think the right thing to do would be to report it. But at least he seems like a responsible person. However, he clearly has a problem with this dog and he needs to make 100% certain it never gets out.

I got attacked by a neighbor's dog. It was not a serious attack, and it was a small dog, but it did puncture the skin in my ankle. There were actually two dogs, one even smaller. I knocked at the owner's door but he didn't answer. So I called the police. They knocked at his door and he did answer for them. They quarantined the dog and I haven't seen it since. The tiny dog still runs around the neighborhood though. I just don't understand these people.

I was cornered by two other dogs once. The owner finally came out. I was mad, of course, but he just blew me off and acted like it was my fault. Looking back I should have called the police.

Now I carry a walking stick on my walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM
 
1,076 posts, read 921,914 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I can't stand pit bulls but more so I really can't stand irresponsible pit bull owners.

My sister had a pit bull and I refused to go in the house unless it was put outside. I didn't care even if she told me how sweet and harmless it was.
I'm not challenging your feelings at all. You're perfectly welcome to them. I'm guessing something happened to you or someone you know?

I know over a dozen different pit bulls and never heard of them attacking anyone or even another dog.

I'm sensitive to this kind of thing because I have an Akita and everyone always tells me how aggressive and dangerous they are too.
I've known dozens of Akita's and never heard of one harming anyone.
Sure, they bark and growl at strangers but that's what they're supposed to do. They're protecting their pack.

Anyway, take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,469 posts, read 12,599,461 times
Reputation: 18175
Know others will disagree and not going to debate it, but this is THE reason I took a concealed handgun course and carry. I never take with me out and about, only when walking to ensure that I can protect myself and my dog from hogs, other dogs and whatever I come across.

I honestly would not hesitate to use it, but am totally grateful I have not had to.

If I am left alone, I will leave alone...but I will be able to defend myself and my dog should it be necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top