U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 AM

137 posts, read 368,459 times

Advertisements

On Wed. (4/12) morning (still dark), I was walking my dogs (on leashes) in my sub-division. I saw an owner with their dog at the end of the street, and made sure I stayed on the opposite side of the street. I have a 20 lb cocker spaniel and a 18 pound miniature Schnauzer. The other collie-type dog started barking and yanking on the leash. The dog escaped its leash and came running across the street with owner following, and attacked my two little dogs. It especially went after the Schnauzer as it squealed during the encounter. The owner did manage to get the dog away and ran the dog into her house across the street.

My dogs each had puncture wounds. The Schnauzer has two staples in her wound to keep it close and they both are on anti-biotics for a week. Luckily I did not get hurt being in the middle of it and the dogs only got minor injuries. The owner has already written a check for the vet bill. The dog was current on shots and had a rabie shot.

Does this attack need to be reported? I read on the San Antonio Animal Control Services page that aggressive dogs must be reported if they attack a person. What about other dogs? This owner lives on a corner, and the dog is always trying to dig under the fence when I walk by with my dogs if this dog is out.

My little dogs must be magnets for other dogs as I have had several encounters with other dogs. This is the first time there were injuries. Do I need to carry a bat or golf club to keep other dogs away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 AM

40 posts, read 87,720 times
I would report it and to your HOA. God forbid next time it's a small child. Aggressive dogs like that should be watched carefully.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,845,729 times
You call ACS. Ask for an officer in the "Bite Department". Be sure you get some current pics of the wounds

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Animal Care Services - Animal Control Investigations

(210) 207-4PET

Unless human was bit and there was blood, they cant take away the dogs.

But they will investigate, make sure the owner has their rabies & city tag. Its a $250 ticket per dog/per missing tag. They also verify the fence is sufficent.
They will start a record on the owners and basically tell them...they are on record and this what is going to happen to you if you dont control your dogs.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM

9,772 posts, read 15,029,452 times
They make mace for dogs...I think it's called muzzle in a can or something like that. That might be a good idea.

My dogs have been attacked before, there's not much you can do except pick up your dog and hope the aggressive dog doesn't go after you instead.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM

8,400 posts, read 18,031,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They make mace for dogs...I think it's called muzzle in a can or something like that. That might be a good idea.

My dogs have been attacked before, there's not much you can do except pick up your dog and hope the aggressive dog doesn't go after you instead.
I wouldn't trust mace to stop an aggressive dog, especially a large one. There's another solution but it is extreme; however, it can be a matter of self-defense against lethal force (32 people were killed by dogs in 2010, and 30 the year before that. Source: List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Cheers! M2

Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM

210 posts, read 389,360 times
I would definitely report it. Sounds like the dog lacks the right discipline and it the owner cannot stop it from attacking other dogs they certainly cannot stop it from attacking humans. The next time that happens someone could be out walking their dog with a small child toddling along with them too..

Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,139,166 times
Sorry to hear about what happened to you and your pets. At least the other individual took responsibility for this incident. Not a bad idea to carry a baseball bat or heavy club while walking alone or with your dogs.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM

9,772 posts, read 15,029,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I wouldn't trust mace to stop an aggressive dog, especially a large one. There's another solution but it is extreme; however, it can be a matter of self-defense against lethal force (32 people were killed by dogs in 2010, and 30 the year before that. Source: List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Cheers! M2
I know, when my dogs were attacked it was by two pits and hitting and kicking them didn't do anything, so I doubt mace would work either. Besides, it would have gotten my dogs. But the solution I'm using now isn't legal and I didn't want to suggest to anyone that they break the law. It's the same asp baton that I carry when I ride my bike...I've had a dog chase me and bite into my shoe before.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM

7,470 posts, read 12,711,978 times
There is a TEAR GAS FOAM that allows you to have a more direct route without fear of the direction of wind and possible exposure yourself....just something to consider. I wish your fur baby is well as she/he recovers.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM

2,791 posts, read 4,591,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I know, when my dogs were attacked it was by two pits and hitting and kicking them didn't do anything
That's because when a pit attacks your animal, you have to punt their head like a football. I know it sounds cruel, and I'm against animal cruelty, but that's the way it has to be handled. Sometimes that's the only way with a very aggressive pit... or other type of dog.

If I was walking my old girl down the street and she were to come under attack, that's the plan. Hope not to offend anyone, after all it's just an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio