Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,810,079 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to ask for awhile.

There are 2 really old buildings that have been left in place where the new Sonic and shopping center have been built on Braun/1604. What are those buildings? Anyone know why they didn't tear them down? I'm guessing (but could be wrong) historical reasons, but am curious to know what they are....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,881,135 times
I believe it is just an old homestead, I have yet to see a sign similar to the one at the Huebner-Onion house not too far away on Bandera Road. Matter of fact, if you take Braun towards Bandera, there is another homestead across from Nichols Elementary that seems to be protected as well. You may want to check with the Leon Valley Historical Society, which is the organization that is renovating the Huebner-Onion house to be a museum...

And if you find out anything, please post it here. Especially if the place is haunted!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-16-2007, 12:46 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,757,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I believe it is just an old homestead, I have yet to see a sign similar to the one at the Huebner-Onion house not too far away on Bandera Road. Matter of fact, if you take Braun towards Bandera, there is another homestead across from Nichols Elementary that seems to be protected as well. You may want to check with the Leon Valley Historical Society, which is the organization that is renovating the Huebner-Onion house to be a museum...

And if you find out anything, please post it here. Especially if the place is haunted!

Cheers! M2

Oh my goodness I travel this stretch of road almost daily.... I haven't noticed the building (across from Nichols Elementary).... I'm going to have to check it out.....
Now as for the buildings near the Sonic, I'm going to have to take a closer look there also... I haven't noticed anything that looks particularly old or historical..... will have a look next time.....
(btw, I HATE Sonic and there are two on every corner!! Let's get an In-n-Out burger stand instead of another SONIC!!!!)

Old 09-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Actually, it is encouraging to see these old homesteads being saved from destruction simply to build another strip mall or Sonic (and I agree, there are too many of those damn things). I was sadden to see the old ice house torn down at Culebra and 1604 to build a Jim's, I used to pass it all the time when I lived here last. Development is rampant in the NW side of town, and as noted in the GBNF thread, S.A. is losing a lot of its old landmarks. Saving some of them is very noble, and I applaud whoever is behind it.

I will see if I can find any signs or anything at these two locations stating what they are, or at least who is saving them.

Cheers! M2

Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM

The homestead across from Nichols Elementary is the Grenwelge/Braun Farm Complex. It is listed on the San Antonio Historical Preservation web site (http://epay.sanantonio.gov/historic/listscreen.aspx - broken link). The address is 9599 Braun Road if you want to map it on the computer.

As for the complex at Braun & 1604, I got up close to it in my Jeep this evening and it too has signs on the fence around it stating no tresspassing, and that the property belonged to the San Antonio Historical Preservation Society, but I could find no mention of it on the above-listed web site. If you want to track it down, you can try contacting the staff.

Also, it appears that GoogleEarth has been recently updated, as the new construction of that strip mall behind the Sonic is now visible.

Cheers! M2

Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,170,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, it is encouraging to see these old homesteads being saved from destruction simply to build another strip mall or Sonic (and I agree, there are too many of those damn things). I was sadden to see the old ice house torn down at Culebra and 1604 to build a Jim's, I used to pass it all the time when I lived here last. Development is rampant in the NW side of town, and as noted in the GBNF thread, S.A. is losing a lot of its old landmarks. Saving some of them is very noble, and I applaud whoever is behind it.

I will see if I can find any signs or anything at these two locations stating what they are, or at least who is saving them.

Cheers! M2
The old place at Culebra and 1604 was Dan Persyn's, simply called "Dans". That was a neat old place. I have a friend who I always tease since they tore it down because he used to stop in there and drink a beer everyday after work. I bet they got a pretty penny for that corner.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Yep, I had forgotten the name of the place but I used to pass it all the time. Now I am kicking myself for not stopping by, but maybe that would have only made me more mad that they tore the place down to build another Jim's. There is one not too far up the road at Bandera and 1604, why in the hell do we need another?

And does anyone know what is being built on 1604 and Shaenfield, next to the Dollar General?

Cheers! M2

Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,160 times
The farm on Braun/1604 belonged to a Jospeh Steumple (sp?) from the best info I can find. He was one of he original builders of Zion Lutheran Church that is located across 1604 (south of farm). Google Zion Lutheran Church in S.A. and check out the history page for the church. It is unbelievably detailed, going back to the founders of the Helotes area and the church itself. All the Brauchles, Brauns, Guilbeaus, Steubings, etc. are listed. Birth dates, dates of death and their contribution to the area.
Hope you dig!
Peace ya'll

Old 10-12-2007, 09:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,991 times
I know of a couple that went looking for those kinds of old stone cottages on those little back roads. They were able to spot one, abandoned, and bought it nearly free and were able to get a house mover to move it to their beautiful spot out in the hill country.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Cool info! We know Zion Lutheran quite well, my oldest went to Kids of the Kingdom there when we last lived here. Also, they sponsored the Cub Scout pack I used to be Cubmaster for.

Actually, I drive past it nearly daily on my way to work, I shortcut down Leslie Road between the old churches and the new one. The two spots where Helotes Creek crosses the road--on the opposite sides of the animal rescue--are still flooding over the pavement. Just a couple of inches of water, but still fun in the open Jeep.

I may call the San Antonio Historical Preservation Society next week to see if there is any info on the small homestead behind the Sonic at 1604 and Braun. Also, there is another small homestead across from it on the northwest side of the intersection (behind the Walgreens and strip mall next to it). I wonder if that place is being saved, or just waiting for demolition?

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio