Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,001 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone here has experienced a situation like this after moving into an apartment and how they resolved the problem.

I've been in SA since May of 2011. I love it here and it is great. Recently, I moved from the temporary place and into an apartment complex. I went here because I thought it would be a nice place to live because of the reviews and the fact that it was close to work. I knew it would not be perfect but it would do, as long has I had a clean, safe, affordable place to live.

Please note. There are a few things that I am allergic too such as cedar, cats, and on occasional seasonal allergies.

Prior to moving in I was fine and feeling GOOD!

Immediately after moving in, I began to have allergies (I started sneezing, eyes itching, and throat hurting). I thought it was the unit just needed a filter change and that would be it. Maintenance came up and brought me a filter came right up with a smile and said I had a new filter. I was like okay.... I asked him, I wonder what is causing me to react and he said outdoor allergies.... which is not possible. I just came from outside moving my stuff walking for over 2 1/2 hours and I get in the apartment and start acting up? Prior to moving in. I was walking like everyday at Rittman park trail which is lush landscape this year (thanks to the rain) and full of allergens and I was FINE.

I couldn't stand the feeling and rushed to my storage unit to get an air purifier (Honeywell for large room/ apt is a studio 409square feet) and it helped a little and I went to sleep.

The next day I vacuumed the floor and I got a lot of dirt and white stuff- I think is was fragrance for the carpet. My vacuum is 12 Amp bag-less and you can see what it picks up and you have to clean the filter. I had to clean it because of all the junk that came up. I know even with steaming you will get dirt up from the carpet but I’m wondering why that much.

After a few days, I started to feel better but every time. I would lie down on my air mattress. I would feel irritation in my noise and I would wake up with my ear itching, nose itching, throat and hurting, and just not feeling good.

Prior to moving in they said that steamed the floors, which they were because when I moved in the carpet was wet, oddly enough. Lately, once I get up during the day I feel better but every time, I go to sleep on the air mattress ,I feel this way again. I thought the steam person probably didn’t do their job, so I hired Sears to come out and steam it. They came yesterday, and I feel better walking around but I did feel something in the air irritating my nose. I laid down and when I woke up this is the worst my allergies have been so far. (I also washed my sheets and comforter after they steamed the floor and vacuumed the mattress so I don’t think they would be apart the problem now. I even developed a rash for a short time on my shoulder and foot.

I’m thinking it is the carpet but I don’t know. Could it be the air ducts blowing on me at night and if this were the case why would I feel better once the up and leave the apartment (except today =( ). Why aren’t the steam cleanings helping but possible making it worse?

I don’t have indoor allergies. I’m allergic to cats and cedar (my cedar reaction is not like this/ I get more flu-like/ill). Every time, I leave the apartment, I feel better. So, this is not an outdoor thing. Also prior to moving I went to Rittman park almost every day that had lush flowers, plants, the works and nothing… no problems. I lived in an extended stay Value Place for almost a year… no problems. This all of sudden I move here and it’s Pandora’s box???

I'm not sure what the apartment complex is going to do and they are well informed as what is happening to me but what could it be if not the carpet and has anyone had anything similar to them happen to them???? and how did you resolve the problem?

Any advice?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-26-2012 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The steam cleanings could be adding to the problem. It's hard to get carpet dry and you could be getting mold in the carpet pad. Carpet also collects stuff and it doesn't come out with cleaning, when you pull up old carpet you find hair and stuff in the carpet pad.

Also, maybe the previous tenant had a cat and there's dander in the air ducts.

If the air mattress is new, it might be giving off fumes that are bothering you.

If the apartment has had a water leak in the past, there can be mold in the cupboards under the sink, or under the air conditioner.

Sometimes air can pass between apartments and you end up with your neighbor's smoke or pet dander in your apartment.

I don't think apartment complexes will do much for you...hopefully I'm wrong but usually you just have to start popping allergy pills and live with it, or move.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
There is something airborne in the apartment that is triggering the reaction. Masking the problem with pills will not make it go away. It could be a new allergy or a cat in the building or even outside.
If you have allergies and they are replacing a cheap filter with another filter it won't do the job. They need the 3M Filtrete type to trap pet dander and allergens. At $20-30 a filter they won't do and they won't change it regularly. If you like the apartment, your only defense is a room size HEPA unit with a filter. It is not cheap but it is almost like having a furnace filter.

If you are on an air mattress you are on the floor??? If so that too is part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio