U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,481,487 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

I understand some are social drinkers, that is they can drink on many occasions with moderation, so they drink less at each occasion and do not get smashed. Studies have shown affluent people drink more overall but also socially as described.

Unsure how much social drinking is going on in SA but alcoholics and binge drinkers far outnumber the social drinkers here. That might satisfy the low brow locals and that is fine since we usually skip that scene and do our own thing outside of social groups.

One day we hope to meet others or even a social group whose experiences and social situation mirrors ours because I cannot imagine drinking beer for fun or even wine for dinner. Born local and I am enjoying the way things are progressing here overall especially within my own neighborhood. If you wish for a simple life it can be found in the city and that does not mean just staying home but going out and about.

Of course we would desire a different culture here but sometimes you have to make your own and it can be quite sweet doing so. I imagine most places are exactly like this with a few being all the one would desire.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM

724 posts, read 367,180 times
I'm a mid 30's professional with a doctorate, and while I have enjoyed my time here thus far, I believe it is a challenge for educated young singles. It is very difficult to find unattached people who are well educated, ambitious, and don't have children yet. My colleagues agree there is a noticeable anti-intellectual culture here in SA. Meeting people in places other than bars seems to be a challenge here.

And I have to agree with the Mexican-culture bias here in San Antonio. It isn't a very multi cultural city, though there is a fair amount of diversity if you really look...or play soccer.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,623,782 times
I have been following this thread all day and can't help but add my 2 bits to the "discussion".

Me: 35, white male, divorced with two little girls. I have a master's degree in information assurance from a very well-respected university, have been working in information technology/security for 15 years, own my own home, a very nice car, and I keep my fingernails nice and trimmed. (Oh, and I got engaged to a beautiful woman on Wednesday!)

I've been living in SA for almost four years (moved from Northern VA/DC). My take on this area? Overall, I don't have a problem with this town. Yes, it can be slow (in terms of traffic, mentality, progress, and even wit). Yes, it lacks in some of the basic things that a major metro area should have (broad cultural diversity, for example). Yes, the downtown area is shameful and in need of major overhaul. Etc., etc.

BUT, SA has a lot going for it. There are real, actual initiatives in place to bring SA out of the 20th and into the 21st century. The mentality of the city government is slowly (there's that word again) changing...we are making strides to improve the higher ed rates for high school grads (while trying to keep them here after they graduate). SA has begun to get noticed for the right reasons (friendly to corporations with some tax incentives, expanded airport facilities, the oft-lamented empty space downtown, etc.). There are a lot of opportunities for our fair city to grow in the right ways at the right pace.

--Dim

Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 AM

77 posts, read 62,192 times
At least the challenges facing San Antonio are being acknowledged honestly these days. That is the first step toward changing things for the better. I can remember when people used to crow from the rafters about how "diverse" SA is, when the reality was that SA wasn't diverse at all, it was just that the dominant culture wasn't Anglo.

But I'm not here to comment on the main topic of this thread, just the digression about local cuisine. I guess it's natural to groan about another tex-mex restaurant opening at the expense of variety, but try to remember that San Antonio is the epicenter of tex-mex cuisine. Something we take utterly for granted is considered an intriguing, exotic delicacy elsewhere. The last time I visited Europe I was surprised to find tex-mex restaurants in Paris and Barcelona. The majority of this country has no idea what a tortilla is really supposed to taste like. So try harder to appreciate those things that make San Antonio unique, while at the same time striving to make this a better place to live.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:46 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,481,487 times
If I may interject with a slightly nuanced view. Tex-Mex is a dying form. Taquerias estilo Jalisco are what is dominating due to changing demographics. Estilo Jalisco is not Tex-Mex. The food uses different ingredients, is prepared and tastes differently.

Fluffy flour tortillas and not heavy ones in shortening, sharp cheddar cheese from Wisconsin only, and enchiladas the color of the main library and not brown gravy are a few differences.

Not all Hispanics are the same either. The newer wave of Mexican immigrants are not old style Tejanos but have their own culture. Some claim our city is Tejano-centric when other than a brief period between the 80s and 90s Tejano culture was never even recognized and even then it had more to do with marketing music which is only one aspect of Tejano culture. There is much more to us than that (:

Sorry for those who are already familar with my eternal lament but really the culture here is not Tejano other than the small pockets who maintain it but we never have or will dominate the city. What we have is another mix of cultures which is often labeled as Tejano but really is not, not exclusively at least.

When a new "Tex-Mex" restaurant opens, especially if in a trendy area, it probably is not Tex-Mex but Mexican fusion, street, or some other regional Mexican cusine imported here. Tex-Mex is an American regional cuisine which was developed here in America using American products. Thanks and whatever it is do enjoy.

Last edited by Merovee; 04-21-2012 at 03:14 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM

5,567 posts, read 9,540,060 times
I'm 31 and moving to metro DC for a job. I'll be back, though (but living in the hill country). The job was too good to pass up.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 AM

5,219 posts, read 3,356,723 times
Strange, Austin and Houston seem to be the opposite, ranking high for attracting young professionals. Maybe the types of jobs....

Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 AM

705 posts, read 742,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
There is a Catch-22 here. Educated people leave San Antonio because of the lack of entry-level, professional jobs. Because educated people are leaving, there is a lack of qualified professionals here. The lack of qualified professionals makes companies that would hire entry-level employees hesitant to move here.
Bingo. The article made some good points. Glad someone is speaking up.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM

705 posts, read 742,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
Much of the attitude is "but, that's how we've always done it, we're not going to change things even if they aren't working". It seems to me that it is more of a closed-minded mentality that keeps SA from growing than that of a particular culture. It is really a closed group of people that are possibly afraid of letting "new" people with "new" ideas change the status quo.
Bingo.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM

867 posts, read 1,871,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Yes it does. I have friends who have visited and thought about moving but decided against it because there is no way for them to buy their food staples. From Asian to Middle Eastern to Italian, our supermarkets are horribly lacking. That alone is enough to prevent people from moving here.
This is one thing I have encountered as well. My nearest HEB (I don't love HEB, but it's the closest grocery store, so I end up there more often than I would like) is constantly adding more and more Hispanic items throughout the store, which pushes other items out. For example, orzo and dry tortellini are standard items in my pantry. Anywhere else I have lived in the U.S., I have had no problem finding these at a typical grocery store. When we first moved back to S.A. five years ago, I could still find these at my HEB. As more and more conchitas, fideo, etc. started being added to the pasta section, these items stopped being carried. Now I am forced to go to Super Wal-Mart (which I detest even more than HEB), Super Target (which I enjoy, but which is not close to me), or Central Market (which I enjoy, but again which is not close to me) to get these basics. I have experienced the same in other areas of the store, not just the pasta aisle. I'm all for having a variety of products, but often here I encounter not a variety of products (an acknowledgement of all different cuisines/ethnic foods), but an increasing emphasis on one type which means a reduction in (or complete lack of) others.

I was also on a trip last month - was in a Target picking up items my husband forgot to pack and something about the aisle signs kept seeming odd to me, but I couldn't put my finger on it at first. Then I realized that the signs were only in English - no Spanish translations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio