U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 AM

425 posts, read 1,028,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/23998206-post16.html

It's also in post 16 of this thread.
Cool, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM

500 posts, read 796,784 times
When I moved from D/FW to SA (30 years ago), I worked for a company based in Minneapolis/St Paul. Equivalent positions with local D/FW employers were on par with my salary. When I transferred, equivalent positions with local SA employers paid about 15% less.

In my personal experience, my cost of living in SA was about 20% less. My home value here was 30% less than my home in D/FW (in a similar neighborhood). I have always considered my transfer as having a "built in" raise. I also negotiated a salary increase for the move as well.

All that said, I found that my quality of life here in SA exceeded that of D/FW (and I lived in D/FW my entire life until then). Knowing that, I would have gladly taken a 15% pay cut to live in SA.

Of course it's 30 years later, and quite possible the economics have shifted one way or another, but given the same choice now, I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,547,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
San Antonio is not as expecnsive as Austin or Dallas or Houston, but try and make it on $50,000 a year and SA won't seem like such a cheap place to live. It takes two to make it in SA if you want to do anything besides work and pay rent and pay utilities.
I am no SA fan, really. I ended up here due to parental decisions when I was a teen. I am still here due to a serious of bad choices, to be honest, and I am working on making my way out of here... but I have to disagree that it's some big challenge to get by on 50k a year here. Of course it always comes down to priorities and personal preferences and so forth, but we're a family of 5 and we've been doing ok in this city for much less than 50k a year. We'd be very comfy on that much. No European vacations, obviously, but comfy enough.

I guess once you've struggled with a family of five on 24k a year it is all relative (what we managed on a few years back).

Old 03-01-2015, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 574 times
This city lacks innovation. There is no growth and no advancement opportunities. I recently saw an ad for a part time position at a pay rate of $9 hourly. The employer required a bachelor's degree! I reported the posting, ridiculous. San Antonio will not attract competitive, innovative, young-talented professionals with that kind of cheap wages. It's a nice quiet town, but the conformist attitude does nothing to help the city compete in the global economy

Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss233 View Post
This city lacks innovation. There is no growth and no advancement opportunities. I recently saw an ad for a part time position at a pay rate of $9 hourly. The employer required a bachelor's degree! I reported the posting, ridiculous.
Who would you report such a thing to?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,237,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Who would you report such a thing to?
It might have been a Craigslist ad. Even though it wasn't violating the rules, people often report what they think to be ridiculous ads in order to have them removed. I don't think I've seen any $9 an hour jobs requiring a bachelor's degree, but I've seen many ads for biology and social service jobs that pay $12 an hour and state a requirement or preference for a 4-year degree. However, this is typical in these fields nationwide with some minor wage adjustments for cost of living.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,535 times
Quote:
*San Antonio will not attract competitive, innovative, young-talented professionals with that kind of cheap wages.
Nice first post!

The people you are describing usually have some sort of degree in a high demand field and can make good money in about any city, including San Antonio. If you have a bachelor's degree in history, political science, sociology, psychology, communications, etc you will need to hustle and get some real job experience to make any decent money, and this goes for any city.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM

818 posts, read 981,677 times
Quote:
This city lacks innovation. There is no growth and no advancement opportunities. I recently saw an ad for a part time position at a pay rate of $9 hourly. The employer required a bachelor's degree! I reported the posting, ridiculous. San Antonio will not attract competitive, innovative, young-talented professionals with that kind of cheap wages. It's a nice quiet town, but the conformist attitude does nothing to help the city compete in the global economy
I am typically pretty vocal about the things I dislike about San Antonio but even I have to call BS on this. Sure the pay is a little lower in San Antonio compared to compatibly sized metros but housing prices make up for that in many ways.

Just because a company requests a certain requirement for a job does not mean they are going to find a candidate that meets those requirements that is willing to work at that rate. If that is the market rate, they will probably find the candidate they need. If not, they will either have to reduce the level of requirement or increase the rate of pay. It really is that simple.

As far as attracting competitive, innovative, young, talented professionals goes, again, I am not a huge fan of San Antonio but they are fairly innovative in quite a few areas and attract a lot of young, talented people with the skill sets you just described. San Antonio is one of the leaders, world wide, in cyber security, they have a CDC facility south of town, they have the UT Health Science Center as well as a large contingent of high quality hospitals. Add that to what Rack Space has done and what they're doing with their entrepreneurial center and you have an innovative spirit that many cities would be envious of.

Now, can San Antonio hang on to those young, talented professionals? That is an entirely different question, but to say San Antonio can't attract them is just ludicrous.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 PM

424 posts, read 508,556 times
Quote:
Good thing you saw that one listing (I don't even believe you) and decided to revise this thread with your nonsense. Yay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or