Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM

568 posts, read 962,223 times

Advertisements

How about Ideal supermarket located on Rigsby and Tillie Drive. They had the old timey meat market where all the meat was laid out and helpers behind the counter would take out your choices and wrap them for you to put directly in the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I do remember seeing a U-Tote-Em on Highway 87 east. It was located near the entrace of the the Lakeside Subdivision. This was back in the late 70's/ early 80's. Not sure what happened to the Lone Star Ice houses.
We still have a Lone Star Ice House over here by my casa. It's on Eckert rd., just past Marshall High School. Been here forever, but it is now owned by people that treat you like you are there to steal from them....walk in, they stop talking to each other and follow you around the store. Stopped going in there years ago.

I believe that U-Tote-Em on 87 is still there.....was a couple of years ago anyway.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Taco Hut,

Had the best tacos and chalupas, I still remember their taste. Floyd's Hamburgers , located directly across the street, had burgers priced at 5 for a dollar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Does anyone remember the Taco Hut located, if I remember correctly, on the corner of Goliad and Clark?? It was a little white building similar to a dairy queen, but they had the original puffy tacos that were so good!! They cost 25 cents each back in the 50's and that was alot of money.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Kelly A.F.B. Lockheed SR71 1990,

Retirement of the Lockheed SR71 aircraft I believe around 1990. This craft had just set a Los Angeles to D.C. speed record of 62 minutes. Notice the for sale
sign.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - PHOTOS-copy-3-negatives-052.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
We still have a Lone Star Ice House over here by my casa. It's on Eckert rd., just past Marshall High School. Been here forever, but it is now owned by people that treat you like you are there to steal from them....walk in, they stop talking to each other and follow you around the store. Stopped going in there years ago.

I believe that U-Tote-Em on 87 is still there.....was a couple of years ago anyway.
I don't blame you for not going there. Seems to me small business owners would try to increase business, not drive customers away.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Retirement of the Lockheed SR71 aircraft I believe around 1990. This craft had just set a Los Angeles to D.C. speed record of 62 minutes. Notice the for sale
sign.
I saw it fly at some air shows and I saw it fly into Kelly. It is a really cool aircraft . It would make a nice hood ornament on a really big OLDSMOBILE.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM

171 posts, read 311,432 times
Hello. First time posting. Found this site and seems to have plenty of activity. So I decided to register after seeing this thread. Lot of posts reminded me of SA during the early 80's and mid 90's. See here some that come to mind.

Small Amusement park on the corner of Roosevelt and Southcross. Plenty of memories.
Joske's Downtown. Espcially during Christmas....
Diversions game room on Military dr. I used to work there. Know it was recent, but good times.
Corner of Military dr and Pleasanton. When Sears was there and HEB was on the other corner.
Piggly wigglys before it was Handy Andy on Pleasanton dr. I was young, Vague memories.
Joes Volcano. Went there alot during the mid ninties.
Park Place. When Central park mall was there.
Now if anyone remembers. Ave B. Near the witte behind Broadway was a Coffee shop amed Zoey's. A large Gray cat named Church lived outside of it. Closed during the nineties not long after the Coffee shop trend started in those years. Wonder if anyone remembers that place.

Just thought I'd give a few mentions of places I have memories of.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Default Don't know anything about any large cat,

But I remember all the other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
Hello. First time posting. Found this site and seems to have plenty of activity. So I decided to register after seeing this thread. Lot of posts reminded me of SA during the early 80's and mid 90's. See here some that come to mind.

Small Amusement park on the corner of Roosevelt and Southcross. Plenty of memories.
Joske's Downtown. Espcially during Christmas....
Diversions game room on Military dr. I used to work there. Know it was recent, but good times.
Corner of Military dr and Pleasanton. When Sears was there and HEB was on the other corner.
Piggly wigglys before it was Handy Andy on Pleasanton dr. I was young, Vague memories.
Joes Volcano. Went there alot during the mid ninties.
Park Place. When Central park mall was there.
Now if anyone remembers. Ave B. Near the witte behind Broadway was a Coffee shop amed Zoey's. A large Gray cat named Church lived outside of it. Closed during the nineties not long after the Coffee shop trend started in those years. Wonder if anyone remembers that place.

Just thought I'd give a few mentions of places I have memories of.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM

171 posts, read 311,432 times
@huckster.
you remember Zoey's coffee house. Wow. Wife and I went there a few times. Liked the name so much. Named my daughter Zoey.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
What was nice was you knew the general area of town these prefixes represented.

CApitol was downtown

PErshing was north of downtown

DIamond was northside

TAylor was Alamo Heights general area

WAlnut was southside

LEhigh was south of downtown

GEneral was west side

EDison was east of downtown

OXford was medical center area and north

ORchard was Valley Hi, Lackland Terrace area

There were others as time went on, but these were the most prevalent.

The prefixes started phasing out in 1968.
Some of those I am not familiar with I recognize mainly the northside PE, DI, TA and downtown CA, thanks for the info. I grew up in Oldfield the northeast side IH 35 and Loop 410 area also know as the Fratt exchange area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio