U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 21,548 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been in SA for about a week now and have burned through multiple tanks of gas scouting all over the W/NW side. Truly eye opening as net surfing the city isn't nearly the same as driving it to see what's what.

We really enjoy the style of living in Boerne and found a great development close to Fair Oaks Ranch along the I10 corridor.

As part of my research I went to Bexar and Kendall tax sites to see what taxes apply where. On the particular home I'm interested in, I initially went to Kendall county to look up the tax info. My friend accidentally was still on Bexar county when he punched the same street in. This is when we discovered the multiple tax jurisdictions. A home I thought was only going to be about 5K in taxes wound up looking to cost 8700 in taxes!! Kendall was hitting up for Boerne ISD while Bexar was taxing for: Bexar CO RD & FLOOD, SA RIVER AUTH, ALAMO COM COLLEGE, UNIV HEALTH SYSTEM, BEXAR CO EMERG DIST#44, BEXAR COUNTY, BEXAR APPRAISAL DISTRICT.

I'm going to ask my realtor about this tomorrow but are there any hidden catches that I may not be factoring in as well? I had asked the sales rep in the development office about taxes during my walk through but I know that's not worth anything.

Does anyone leave near Fair Oaks Ranch that can speak to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
You don't say what the Fair Oaks home is valued at, but property taxes at that level are certainly what you could expect for a home in the $275K-325K range in the city of San Antonio.

Remember that there is no state income tax in Texas.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,378,125 times
From what you've written, that sounds about right if the house is physically in Bexar County but uses Boerne ISD. The area right around Shertz is in the same boat.

Of the things you've listed, nothing is duplicated. ISD is separate from all the other infrastructure type taxes. People do make the mistake of thinking they can buy much more house for their money and forget about the tax situation here.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:12 PM

130 posts, read 222,124 times
Doesn't San Antonio "own" like one road and part of the land on the side of the road, that runs through Fair Oaks Ranch?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,378,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
From what you've written, that sounds about right if the house is physically in Bexar County but uses Boerne ISD. The area right around Shertz is in the same boat.
that should say "similar" rather than same: school district straddling two counties.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM

706 posts, read 1,522,690 times
AFAIK, the city of San Antonio doesn't 'own' anything in Fair Oaks.

It is county taxes. And yes, if you live in Bexar county but Boerne ISD you pay Bexar county taxes and BISD school taxes. Fair Oaks encompasses 3 different counties; Kendall, Bexar, and a tiny triangle of Comal. The tax rate for Kendall is a little lower, or at least was when we moved 3 years ago.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,151,974 times
Default How are property taxes calculated?

For example, looking at the Bexar County 2011 Official Tax Rates & Exemptions, I see a big disparity in the apparent tax rates of various localities, and I see other items (like "Flood Fund", "Hospital District", various "ISD"s and "Emergency Districts") that seem like they'd over lap. Of course all have "codes", but I can't see a key or map that would let me look at a given piece of property and figure out which "code(s)" apply. I find it a little tough to believe that a given home could have six or seven times the tax rate as another, and so am figuring I must be missing something!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM

This thread is relevant to my interests!

How do you find out all of the tax districts a property is in? How do you know you've found all of them, as opposed to having just checked resources you could figure out on your own but you never knew about the Endangered Titmouse Protection District?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
This thread is relevant to my interests!

How do you find out all of the tax districts a property is in? How do you know you've found all of them, as opposed to having just checked resources you could figure out on your own but you never knew about the Endangered Titmouse Protection District?
They're all listed on the county assessment district web site listing for the property. In Bexar County, check out Bexar Appraisal District.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
They're all listed on the county assessment district web site listing for the property. In Bexar County, check out Bexar Appraisal District.
Yes, I've seen that page. But I don't see how to find out which district(s) a given address is in. The search is by name or by neighborhood, neither of which would help me.

Is there a map that would show overlays of all of the districts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio