Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM

359 posts, read 773,880 times

Advertisements

In one of the shortest conference affiliation stays ever, UTSA has, for all intents and purposes, left the imploding Western Athletic Conference [WAC] for Conference-USA. It was only 4 years ago that UTSA made it public that they wanted to start a football program, pursue FBS football and base their sports in Conference-USA. Time does indeed fly; or RUN!

UTSA Roadrunners poised to exit WAC for Conference USA - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Cant wait for them to start playing some non-conference games against some of the Big XII(-2) teams

Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I see this move as a bit of a double-edged sword from a venue standpoint. The key factor that got UTSA into C-USA was football attendance. Eventually, they'll want to move out of the Alamodome, and when they do, they'll want hundreds of millions in taxpayer money to build a new stadium along 1604 that offers as much seating. And they'll point to demands by their conference as requiring that much seating for membership.

For now, I'm happy that they're using the Alamodome. (I'm happy when anyone uses the Alamodome!) I fear that UTSA may "outgrow" it faster in C-USA than they would have in the WAC.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM

92 posts, read 160,252 times
Wrong, they got in because of the San Antonio Market. It's all about money and Television contracts. Conference USA can sell the fact that they captured the San Antonio television market to ESPN and other carriers to get a better TV deail for the conference. It has nothing to do with Alamodome attendance.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
Wrong, they got in because of the San Antonio Market. <snip> It has nothing to do with Alamodome attendance.
Not wrong and I'll prove it. From the article in the OP:

Quote:
UTSA then made the 66,000-seat Alamodome their home field and are now transitioning at a pace that is among the fastest ever into playing in college football's top tier.
The ESPN expert cites the Alamodome's capacity as a factor.

This April 6 article on mysa.com discussing their chances of a move into C-USA or the MWC agrees with you that the TV market ranking of #36 was a factor, but also cites attendance as a factor.

Quote:
(UTSA also would have ranked second in both leagues in attendance after averaging 35,221 last season to set a start-up record.)
It ain't all about TV ratings. They're also planning to put fans in the seats to justify their place in the big time conference.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Not wrong and I'll prove it. From the article in the OP:

The ESPN expert cites the Alamodome's capacity as a factor.

This April 6 article on mysa.com discussing their chances of a move into C-USA or the MWC agrees with you that the TV market ranking of #36 was a factor, but also cites attendance as a factor.

It ain't all about TV ratings. They're also planning to put fans in the seats to justify their place in the big time conference.
So you expect them to double the attendance in the next couple of years?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Man, that did NOT take long at all....

Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
So you expect them to double the attendance in the next couple of years?
Clearly, they don't need to, if their Season 1 attendance would put them at #2 in C-USA. But if they do double their attendance, that gives them a strong case for Big XII membership. I wouldn't be surprised if that's their ultimate goal. The travel and the rivalries would be much more favorable in the Big XII.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Clearly, they don't need to, if their Season 1 attendance would put them at #2 in C-USA. But if they do double their attendance, that gives them a strong case for Big XII membership. I wouldn't be surprised if that's their ultimate goal. The travel and the rivalries would be much more favorable in the Big XII.
But the talent isn't there, its no where near there. They would be at the bottom of the Big XII(-2)

Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Big X(II) is the proper way to say it.

Seriously, I wish the best for UTSA. That program moved up pretty damn fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio