U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

986 posts, read 1,040,812 times

Advertisements

We gave books that have concise statistical analyses. However, a case study or critical incident is what informs people to do the appropriate analyses - which have been done.

For example, Broca's patient gave us insight into left hemisphere localization of language. Then follow up studies proved he was correct.

Incidents like the Boxer, led to CCW and CHL laws and studies that show civilians repeated defend themselves with firearms. Of course, I'm sure those who deny this are expert statisticians and have read the criminological journals in detail.

Personally, your self-defense is your own issue. If you don't want to protect yourself - fine with me. Darwinian evolution is fine principle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM

8,368 posts, read 13,370,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
I love when people start using anectodotes as statistical facts.

But hey, I give you guys credit for inspiring me to get my CHL. I just did a little research and found that I can take a 1-hr online class and be almost there

About the Class (http://www.onlinegunclass.com/about-the-class.php - broken link)

Can you please help me understand what else I need to do? I'd love to get my license as soon as possible so I can start carrying around and feel safer around other "law abiding" citizens
If you're going to live in this state, get yourself a proper Texas CHL. Info can be found on the DPS website (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/genInfo.htm - broken link). Basically you need to complete a minimum 10-hour course, weapons qualification (very easy to do, but if you want to carry a semi-auto pistol, you have to qual on one), and submit your paperwork. Turn-around is about two months, as long as you're a law-abiding citizen; but some folks have been getting them quicker. See the DPS CHL FAQs page (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlfaqs.htm - broken link) for more info.

Quote:
By the way, if we are going to justify an "industry" for its economic benefits, I guess you'll agree with me that we should legalize prostitution (and not the concealed type), drug distribution (just as we do with alcohol and tobacco) and other morally questionable activities
No kidding, TexMex food is responsible for killing more people than guns in San Antonio!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 PM

484 posts, read 527,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Don't have kids, don't want kids.
Very sensible decision.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If I had kids... yup! What measures is Chuck E. Cheese taking to ensure my safety after not allowing me to defend myself? Let me guess... none. They'll try their best to dial 911. Thanks, but no thanks.

99.999999% of the time, nobody needs a gun. But when the 0.000001% happens, and you don't... you're gonna regret it. If you live.

The odds of winning the lottery are far less than being the victim of a violent crime, but nobody calls me crazy for wagering my $1 on the Mega-Millions. Do you have car insurance or a fire extinguisher? Why? Are you paranoid about fires and crashes? Or planning on getting into a wreck? Or are you just trying to be prepared in case of an emergency. That's all a sidearm is... preparation for a possible emergency.
I really feel safer knowing that when I take my kids to Chuck E. Cheese you won't be there carrying a gun. And I do call crazy to anyone spending money on loteries. But hey, it's a tax on stupidity.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
If you're going to live in this state, get yourself a proper Texas CHL. Info can be found on the DPS website (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/genInfo.htm - broken link). Basically you need to complete a minimum 10-hour course, weapons qualification (very easy to do, but if you want to carry a semi-auto pistol, you have to qual on one), and submit your paperwork. Turn-around is about two months, as long as you're a law-abiding citizen; but some folks have been getting them quicker. See the DPS CHL FAQs page (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlfaqs.htm - broken link) for more info.

No kidding, TexMex food is responsible for killing more people than guns in San Antonio!

Cheers! M2

I hate TexMex. It's a watered down versio of something much better. Those who die from it deserve it for not eating the real deal.

So, getting serious, are those websited bugus? they claim that with their courses you can get a CHL in Texas...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
So, getting serious, are those websited bugus? they claim that with their courses you can get a CHL in Texas...
Yeah, they're BS. The state mandates a minimum of ten classroom hours for an initial CHL, and there's a test in addition to the range qualification. It's not as easy as some expect...

Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM

892 posts, read 957,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yeah, they're BS. The state mandates a minimum of ten classroom hours for an initial CHL, and there's a test in addition to the range qualification. It's not as easy as some expect...
Not to mention that one of the things that will get you red-flagged in the application process, is back child-support. I guarantee you that leaves out a lot of people that would like to have a CHL.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 PM

88 posts, read 88,572 times
Quote:
I really feel safer knowing that when I take my kids to Chuck E. Cheese you won't be there carrying a gun.
You'll never need to worry about it... Chuck E. Cheese is crap pizza and you won't be seeing me at one any time short of the heat death of the Universe. So you can "feel safe"... up until the time someone ignores the silly signs. Maybe you can argue this out with him... "But there's a SIGN!!! Can't you read? Your gun isn't allowed here, so you need to commit your robbery or kill your ex or battle Satan with something else, BECAUSE THERE'S A SIGN AND I DON'T FEEL SAFE!!!" Be sure to click your heels together three times when you do that... that's how you remind the Universe to send a wizard riding a Skittle-crapping unicorn to readjust reality to conform to your feelings.

Meanwhile, I'll be carrying my sidearm just like I always do, and you'll never feel unsafe because you won't see it. Just like a child pulling the blankets over his head... "If I can't see it, the boogeyman can't get me!" I guarantee that you pass by people carrying guns every day, so you'd better start to feel unsafe, or huddle in places with the signs. Just remember the heel-clicking thing, because the bad guys are going to ignore the sign if you don't!

I don't understand how you can choose to go through life so afraid. But it is your life, and your right to believe that the moon is made of green cheese, so enjoy your Chuck E. Cheese pizza. But keep an eye on everyone around you! Just in case!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM

69 posts, read 68,064 times
Best I can figure, it must be a malfunctioning gene or something.

What other explanation could there be for a man not wanting to protect himself and his family?

It's what men do...or used to do before the PC, metro-sexual, Liberal revolution took hold.

Or are they hoping a stranger with a gun will step up?

Educate me here.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
Best I can figure, it must be a malfunctioning gene or something.

What other explanation could there be for a man not wanting to protect himself and his family?

It's what men do...or used to do before the PC, metro-sexual, Liberal revolution took hold.

Or are they hoping a stranger with a gun will step up?

Educate me here.
Some people have very strong opinions about how the world is going to be and do a pretty good job of sticking to those convictions until such time as reality *****-slaps them, at which point they pray that someone with a bit more common sense comes to their rescue.

But don't expect them to admit until such time as such an event happens.

And it is still what men do, but just because someone is an adult male doesn't necessarily make them a man! There's a lot more to it that obviously some "males" don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio