Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times

Advertisements

Several young, college graduates have complained about the lack of entry-level opportunities in SA and the issue has been covered by the newspaper and bloggers. The logical thing to do would be to look at which cities have better economic opportunities and not base any decision to move on people's isolated experiences and anecdotal evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 AM

501 posts, read 945,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you think the BLS has some conspiracy going on against SA based on your instincts, then you are free to conduct your on study and prove them wrong. Did I answer my own question? I don't remember doing that. I'm still waiting for a serious poster.
You asked a question but then had your own concluded opinion which you expressed in your original post.

You just want/wanted people to come into this thread and agree with you. There was no serious question.

The fact that you said SA was ranked 99th is telling of exactly what this thread was intended to be.

You want a serious answer to your not serious question?

San Antonio's lower ranking is due to the outcome of the methodology used by Forbes.

But my question, how is this a 2012 list when we're not even half way through this son of a biscuit?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
You asked a question but then had your own concluded opinion which you expressed in your original post.

You just want/wanted people to come into this thread and agree with you. There was no serious question.

The fact that you said SA was ranked 99th is telling of exactly what this thread was intended to be.

You want a serious answer to your not serious question?

San Antonio's lower ranking is due to the outcome of the methodology used by Forbes.

But my question, how is this a 2012 list when we're not even half way through this son of a biscuit?
I have not answered my own question. Where did I answer it? I have not given one reason for why San Antonio's job growth has slowed. The Forbes and New Geography lists are obviously meant to predict future job growth based on past trends. Their methodologies are posted right on their websites for you to read. It's pretty easy to see the trends because Austin, Houston, and Dallas' unemployment rates have been dropping faster than SA's.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Several young, college graduates have complained about the lack of entry-level opportunities in SA and the issue has been covered by the newspaper and bloggers. The logical thing to do would be to look at which cities have better economic opportunities and not base any decision to move on people's isolated experiences and anecdotal evidence.
So these lists reveal which cities have the most entry level job openings and even go as far as listing the job field? Wow, these lists seem like the bomb.

So if we are to go off the link you provided, is it safe to assume recent professional college grads having trouble here should up and relocate to McAllen? It's ranked higher, must be filled with entry level jobs for professionals and not an insane amount of mminimum wage jobs.

See what I mean about putting so much stock into these lists.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I have not answered my own question. Where did I answer it? I have not given one reason for why San Antonio's job growth has slowed. The Forbes and New Geography lists are obviously meant to predict future job growth based on past trends. Their methodologies are posted right on their websites for you to read.
Yes, and there always infallible. Like the population forecasts done in the early 2000s that predicted SA wouldnt have 2 million residents by 2015.

What exactly is your question? Why did SA job growth slow? Who said it did? Forbes didn't show the numbers they used. Maybe you should use google to answer that question yourself.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM

These lists do not mention how many entry-level jobs are in each city. My post was in response to you complaining about people putting so much stock into lists. I used an example to show you that looking at statistics to determine your next move is a lot better than relying on people who only have recent experience living in one city, thus, cannot make a comparison. Plus, their experiences are their own. They cannot be generalized.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, and there always infallible. Like the population forecasts done in the early 2000s that predicted SA wouldnt have 2 million residents by 2015.

What exactly is your question? Why did SA job growth slow? Who said it did? Forbes didn't show the numbers they used. Maybe you should use google to answer that question yourself.

SA wouldn't have 2 million residents by 2015? How is that not true? It hasn't been proven wrong yet. Currently, we have about 1.3 million people. Anyone who has the ability to think rationally knows that the further out you make predictions, the less accurate they become. These lists included 2011 data to make predictions for the next year.

I've been following the information posted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the past year, so the trend Forbes is showing is not hard for me to believe because I could already see it.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 AM

So I did a little "research" on google and found that San Antonio's job growth increased from 2010 to 2011.

2011: San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX - May 2011 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

2010: San Antonio, TX - May 2010 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
SA wouldn't have 2 million residents by 2015? How is that not true? It hasn't been proven wrong yet. Currently, we have about 1.3 million people. Anyone who has the ability to think rationally knows that the further out you make predictions, the less accurate they become. These lists included 2011 data to make predictions for the next year.

I've been following the information posted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the past year, so the trend Forbes is showing is not hard for me to believe because I could already see it.
SA meaning the metro area. Which in 2010 was 2.07 million and as of this writing is at 2.2 million.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Um, you're comparing the total number of jobs in 2010 to the total number of jobs in 2011. All that says is that there was job growth in San Antonio. It does not say that the job growth rate increased or that it's greater than that of other major cities in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio