Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 12,554 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my husband and I have lived in the Washington, DC area all our lives, but are considering a move to the San Antonio area for a job opportunity my husband has, that's located about 35 miles north of San Antonio. I would love any comments and feedback on the area, the best places to live north of SA, and especially from anyone who's lived in the DC area as well. The plan is that I would look for work in SA, so we'd live somewhere north of the city so my husband can commute further north to his job, and I could commute south into SA. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM

437 posts, read 902,861 times
When you say north do you mean along HWY 281 or IH-10?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
When you say north do you mean along HWY 281 or IH-10?
Or I-35? Three places would take you to very different potential areas for living:

I-10: Boerne, Fair Oaks Ranch, La Cantera area, etc

281: Stone Oak, Encino Park/Ranch, Bulverde

I-35: New Braunfels, Garden Ridge, Selma, etc.

What is your budget? Houses in those areas range from 200's (or less) to millions, depending on specific subdivisions. If you provide more details, we can point out to more specific areas.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM

584 posts, read 1,192,815 times
I am from MD just outside DC. Obviously don't expect DC and SA to compare but trust me I do love it here. I love that the lifestyle is more laidback. DC area everyone is always trying to get somewhere on time (here people seem to be late a lot more to events or meetings).

My husband and I live in Canyon Springs which is just behind Stone Oak which is in the 281 area. I love the area because we have lots of shopping and restaurants to go to without having to travel out of the area. We do travel outside the area for work though.

Would love if San Antonio had a metro but maybe someday but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.

We have lived in San Antonio now seven years. Prior to here we were in Colorado Springs for four years and before that Maryland which is where I was born and raised. I am not a winter person so moving back to that area was not even a thought when my husband retired from the military and of course the cost of housing ... we would have to live in a townhouse and not have the space we enjoy now. We both have excellent jobs in this area which is great. We get to do a lot more traveling because the cost of living is so much lower.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser2 View Post
Hi there, my husband and I have lived in the Washington, DC area all our lives, but are considering a move to the San Antonio area for a job opportunity my husband has, that's located about 35 miles north of San Antonio. I would love any comments and feedback on the area, the best places to live north of SA, and especially from anyone who's lived in the DC area as well. The plan is that I would look for work in SA, so we'd live somewhere north of the city so my husband can commute further north to his job, and I could commute south into SA. Thanks!
Where will your husband work? I'll try to help as I know the area pretty well and also have some experience with DC. I was also given an offer to relocate to DC, but I turned it down to stay in SA...even took a huge pay cut.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM

10 posts, read 63,433 times
Personally I like north of SA more than south of SA or downtown area.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser2 View Post
Don't do it. I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. Yes, we did live there for almost 3 years (I'm originally from the Northeast). Couldn't leave quick enough. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 AM

584 posts, read 1,192,815 times
firstclassflyer ... you are always so negative towards San Antonio but never state in any posts why you hate it so much. I am just thinking you are a grumpy person who generally doesn't like anything. I have lived in Maryland, Florida, Colorado and Texas and personally I love San Antonio. They only thing it doesn't have for me is a great beach I can get to but I can always fly to Florida, Mexico or the Carribean to get my beach fix.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM

104 posts, read 216,769 times
I'm from Fairfax/Vienna outside DC. It's a big adjustment but we like it.
Cost of living is great, 30% or less than DC! We are in Stone Oak and like
it. It's very close to what you are used to. I'm an attorney and
Work downtown. People talk about how bad the traffic is, it is a cakewalk
compared to the beltway!!
It an adjustment but a welcome one, my kids love it. Good luck

Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
How's that 115 degree weather working out for ya, DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio