U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
 
10,409 posts, read 12,671,808 times
Reputation: 3794

Advertisements

This store has always kind of intrigued me. It's smaller than most of the new HEB's. I'm wondering now if it didn't used to be a Handy Andy. There are high windows in the front under an overhanging ranch-style roof. There is also an indoor cafe on the side with large windows, which looks kind of interesting from the outside. The kind of things you see in older buildings from about the 1960's.

Does anyone know anything about this particular store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,506,299 times
Reputation: 1735
It was a handy Andy up until the mid 90s. It was actually smaller than it is now with multiple tenants in the space. Heb enlarged the store and upgraded it quite a bit. There are living oak trees in the store that actually do grow out of the roof. The store was also bestowed with the store number at 1 to designate how special it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
It was a handy Andy up until the mid 90s. It was actually smaller than it is now with multiple tenants in the space. Heb enlarged the store and upgraded it quite a bit. There are living oak trees in the store that actually do grow out of the roof. The store was also bestowed with the store number at 1 to designate how special it was.
That's correct. I think the Handy Andy opened there in the mid 1960s, and lasted until the mid 1990s, as you said.

The Handy Andy store was actually contained only in the portion of the building that has the gable roof end facing the parking lot - the rest of that building housed a "mini mall". Some of the tenants I recall being in the mall portion over the years were San Antonio Savings, Fox Photo, a drug store, a barber shop, and Second Looks clothing.

The building across the parking lot that now houses Milano's, was originally a barbecue place, I think; and later was La Posada Del Rey, before they moved to Lincoln Heights. Behind that building where Starbuck's is, was an Enco/Exxon station, which matched the other buildings architecturally, as did the now-demolished office building across Nacogdoches, where the HEB employee parking lot is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
 
500 posts, read 796,784 times
Reputation: 397
It's my understanding that the neighborhood folks ('09r's) call it H-E-Handy, as opposed to the H-E-Gucci (Central Market) on Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
Reputation: 1748
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
It's my understanding that the neighborhood folks ('09r's) call it H-E-Handy, as opposed to the H-E-Gucci (Central Market) on Broadway.
I've heard the Oak Park store referred to as the "Handy-B".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,506,299 times
Reputation: 1735
Hmm we call it oak park, versus Gucci-b (central market) and ghetto-b (austin highway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
 
500 posts, read 796,784 times
Reputation: 397
Ahhh, my dyslexia rears it's ugly head!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
490 posts, read 968,947 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
It's my understanding that the neighborhood folks ('09r's) call it H-E-Handy, as opposed to the H-E-Gucci (Central Market) on Broadway.
We call it the Retro-B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM
 
2,355 posts, read 5,405,343 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That's correct. I think the Handy Andy opened there in the mid 1960s, and lasted until the mid 1990s, as you said.

The Handy Andy store was actually contained only in the portion of the building that has the gable roof end facing the parking lot - the rest of that building housed a "mini mall". Some of the tenants I recall being in the mall portion over the years were San Antonio Savings, Fox Photo, a drug store, a barber shop, and Second Looks clothing.

The building across the parking lot that now houses Milano's, was originally a barbecue place, I think; and later was La Posada Del Rey, before they moved to Lincoln Heights. Behind that building where Starbuck's is, was an Enco/Exxon station, which matched the other buildings architecturally, as did the now-demolished office building across Nacogdoches, where the HEB employee parking lot is now.
i remember it being a handy andy in the late 70's- early 80's their bakery was one of the best. I think it closed in 1995?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM
 
Location: san antonio
332 posts, read 461,529 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
ghetto-b (austin highway)
that part of austin highway is not ghetto at all. its nothing but businesses. how can you call that a ghetto, when none of it is run down, in disrepair or an eyesore?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top