Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM

77 posts, read 205,445 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be moving soon to SA (Zip code 78258) from out of state. This will be my first time living in SA, and I would like to obtain information on facilities / activities in the area I will be living in.

I’m a single guy in my late 20’s, and I enjoy sport / being active. Can any of you please let me know of places where I could play tennis, swim and sign up for yoga lessons/classes? Preferably, they should not be too far from where I will be living. I do not restrict myself only to the items I have mentioned earlier (e.g. I like volleyball also), so information pertaining to any sport/ activity would be very useful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
There is a YMCA on Thousand Oaks about 10/15 minutes from that general area They have all that stuff, and even racquet ball. Also there is a country club called Sontera; they have a bunch of those activities, you have to be a member though. Right down the street from the YMCA is a sports bar called Sideliners, they have a bunch of beach volley ball courts, and they have leagues going on all the time.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,620 times
Probably Sonterra Country Club for tennis and golf. I don't think there is much tennis near the area other than that. They actively recruit for new members, so definitely worth a visit.

Year round swimming at lifetime fitness and gold's gym (recently converted from spectrum) @ either evans road or rodgers ranch.

Lifetime @sonterra and golds @ rodgers ranch have basketball courts. Volleyball nets are setup sunday morning at rodgers. Best bet for volleyball is mentioned in the post above.

Yoga is offered at the gyms. The price is included in the gold's, but additional at lifetime. If your advanced, you'll probably have to just do drop in at a few of the boutiques studios in the area.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM

77 posts, read 205,445 times
Thanks for responding, the info is very useful. What can I expect to pay, on an average, for an adult membership at both places? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,520 times
You may want to look into the Adventure Club of San Antonio. They are an active group that does sports activities, hiking, tubing, ziplining as well as happy hour, movies, etc. Great way to meet people. Also check out meetup groups in the area. There are tons. If you like running the Run On San Antonio has a weekly social run on Wednesday evenings. Lifetime is a great gym and has an awesome pool but no tennis.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
whoo...the spectrum at rodgers ranch is now a gold's gym??? when did that happen?

Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
whoo...the spectrum at rodgers ranch is now a gold's gym??? when did that happen?

Gold's Gym bought out all Spectrum Clubs in San Antonio in February:: Gold's Gyms acquires 11 S.A. Spectrum locations - San Antonio Express-News

Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
wow. totally missed that. Thanks for the link.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,816 times
We are members of Shadow Cliff Swim and Tennis Center. It's $295 for swimming and tennis per year. YMCA on thousand oaks is supposed to be nice too. However if you play USTA leagues you cannot play though there yet from what I understand. I think they may have a separate league that so not affiliated with USTA.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
Hello,

We are moving to SA area. My daughter into competitive ballroom/latin dancing and my son is into hockey. Can you please recommend professional dance studios and the hockey team/club.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio