U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM
 
56 posts, read 79,439 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Crime is worse in Orlando compared to San Antonio. In all categories. Shockingly so.

This website compares the two cities using 2010 data.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I totally agree that the crime is bad, actually it's horrible that is one of the major reason we are wanting to relocate. Not sure if you read the original post but I needed a comparison between the two cities in Texas nothing in Florida that where we trying to leave from.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
 
501 posts, read 836,632 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove81 View Post
I totally agree that the crime is bad, actually it's horrible that is one of the major reason we are wanting to relocate. Not sure if you read the original post but I needed a comparison between the two cities in Texas nothing in Florida that where we trying to leave from.
Oh ok. San Antonio for its size both city and metro wise is very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,349,733 times
Reputation: 1783
Austin's reputation as a "hip music mecca/better for young singles" really only applies to its inner city area/university area. Once in the suburbs, it's pretty much the same as San Antonio's suburbs. So, family-wise, either are fine. COL is lower in San Antonio overall, and our downtown is more family friendly than Austin's, but if you're comparing suburb to suburb, there's little difference.

Crime exists in every city, there are pockets of high crime, occasional periods of petty crime (eg a neighborhood will get targeted here and there), but generally not an issue.

I'd go where the better job offer is, keeping in mind COL and issues like commute, hours, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
 
56 posts, read 79,439 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Austin's reputation as a "hip music mecca/better for young singles" really only applies to its inner city area/university area. Once in the suburbs, it's pretty much the same as San Antonio's suburbs. So, family-wise, either are fine. COL is lower in San Antonio overall, and our downtown is more family friendly than Austin's, but if you're comparing suburb to suburb, there's little difference.

Crime exists in every city, there are pockets of high crime, occasional periods of petty crime (eg a neighborhood will get targeted here and there), but generally not an issue.

I'd go where the better job offer is, keeping in mind COL and issues like commute, hours, etc.
I don't think anyone expects no crime in a city, but less is best. Very much aware of crime in every city this is someone who use to live in Dallas and now in Orlando very immune to crime. The job offer isn't the issue they are all paying for his worth we are really wanting to know schools... And how family friendly the cities are and the crime. Thanks for the info :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,349,733 times
Reputation: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove81 View Post
I don't think anyone expects no crime in a city, but less is best. Very much aware of crime in every city this is someone who use to live in Dallas and now in Orlando very immune to crime. The job offer isn't the issue they are all paying for his worth we are really wanting to know schools... And how family friendly the cities are and the crime. Thanks for the info :-)
If job offer is equivalent, then I'd look at where you could live relative to the job and evaluate the quality of life based on that (commute time, type/size/location of house etc).

Texas as a whole has an abysmal record on education, and it's only getting worse. Bexar County in general has a pathetic high school graduation rate (I think it's lowest in the state but could be wrong on that, we do have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country by far). But again, taken on a case by case basis, both cities have some excellent schools.

I'd look at the specific communities within each metro area that would work for you and base your decision on that. As I said, the suburbs are pretty equivalent, some with "great" schools (based on test scores, which alone don't sway me much but which most people put their stock in), some with less than great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
 
14 posts, read 19,422 times
Reputation: 10
I agree that the suburbs of SA = suburbs of Austin. You will hardly notice any difference. I consider SA & Austin as one big megapolis aka the DFW metro. I've lived in Dallas before and getting to one end of Dallas to the opposite end of FW is more than an hour's drive. It's almost the same for SA & Austin.
If you consider SA then look at a NEISD which imo is the best school districts in SA. Also there nice family friendly neighborhoods around the NEISD schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio (near Hausman and Babcock)
246 posts, read 617,362 times
Reputation: 242
Hi, there, Blove81. I just sent you a PM explaining my reasoning for voting for San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
 
486 posts, read 868,498 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon4 View Post
I agree that the suburbs of SA = suburbs of Austin. You will hardly notice any difference. I consider SA & Austin as one big megapolis aka the DFW metro. I've lived in Dallas before and getting to one end of Dallas to the opposite end of FW is more than an hour's drive. It's almost the same for SA & Austin.
If you consider SA then look at a NEISD which imo is the best school districts in SA. Also there nice family friendly neighborhoods around the NEISD schools.
Be careful. Some schools in NEISD have abismal ratings. Also, many schools in the north part of NISD have exemplary ratings. So again, you have to look at specific neighborhoods. Also, AHISD has a very strong reputation and send many graduates to top US universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
 
56 posts, read 79,439 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Be careful. Some schools in NEISD have abismal ratings. Also, many schools in the north part of NISD have exemplary ratings. So again, you have to look at specific neighborhoods. Also, AHISD has a very strong reputation and send many graduates to top US universities.
Good to know thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,501,336 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Be careful. Some schools in NEISD have abismal ratings. Also, many schools in the north part of NISD have exemplary ratings. So again, you have to look at specific neighborhoods. Also, AHISD has a very strong reputation and send many graduates to top US universities.
I can't find any neisd schools that come in under academically acceptable. As a district it's rated recognized as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top