U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Mid South Central TX
3,183 posts, read 7,418,550 times
Reputation: 2188

Advertisements

True, the last time a school in NEISD was rated academically unacceptable (per TEA) was for the 2006-2007 school year (West Ave. ES).

However, there are other rating/ranking entities as well, and some may not rate a school well even with an acceptable rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM
 
413 posts, read 652,456 times
Reputation: 453
In my opinion, if schools are your top priority, then you should leave Texas. Also, for $1250 per month, you're unlikely to find anything in a great area so you'll likely be stuck in a not-so-great school and a higher level of crime. In both cities, it is all about your area, not the city as a whole. In my current area, I could leave the front door wide open and not be worried about a break-in. My last neighborhood had stray dogs, car thefts, etc. Someone actually cut off the harness to my tow hitch. They thought it was easier to break it and spend 15 minutes soldering it back up rather than buy it new for $5. That's what you get with a cheap neighborhood in San Antonio.

As for Austin vs San Antonio, in the burbs, they're the same. Austin is overall a younger, more vibrant city with many more middle-class and higher jobs. San Antonio is cheaper. Personally, I would go to Austin as long as you can find an easy commute between your job and a house you can afford.

Last edited by ItsTheTruth; 05-18-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,902,054 times
Reputation: 1788
That is the truth ItsTheTruth. I must agree since the OP is worried about crime.

Fact is most violent crimes are down across the board, although property crimes are rising, so if someone is not reassured by that and are still worried about violent crime when the rates are falling then they simply will not be happy there, here, or anywhere in between.

They will especially not like it here if they are worried about crime to the extent that is a major reason they are wanting to relocate to begin with. The object is to enjoy a whole city and not stay secluded in your own neighborhood with a circle-the-wagons mentality.

I will even go so far as to recommend leaving the South entirely and not just Texas. Now if the OP is fine with only enjoying their own neighborhood and never venturing to the rest of a city then my comments should be disregarded.

Most school districts are also going to be hurting across the board in Texas through the coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 AM
 
413 posts, read 652,456 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I will even go so far as to recommend leaving the South entirely and not just Texas
The older I get, the more I agree, especially after visiting cities with a plan and a future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
 
56 posts, read 79,529 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
In my opinion, if schools are your top priority, then you should leave Texas. Also, for $1250 per month, you're unlikely to find anything in a great area so you'll likely be stuck in a not-so-great school and a higher level of crime. In both cities, it is all about your area, not the city as a whole. In my current area, I could leave the front door wide open and not be worried about a break-in. My last neighborhood had stray dogs, car thefts, etc. Someone actually cut off the harness to my tow hitch. They thought it was easier to break it and spend 15 minutes soldering it back up rather than buy it new for $5. That's what you get with a cheap neighborhood in San Antonio.

As for Austin vs San Antonio, in the burbs, they're the same. Austin is overall a younger, more vibrant city with many more middle-class and higher jobs. San Antonio is cheaper. Personally, I would go to Austin as long as you can find an easy commute between your job and a house you can afford.
Again I am asking about the schools it is a concern of mind but not a "Top priority." not sure if you even read anything I posted, I'm asking certain question about thing I have not got enough information on. I don't believe that I need to leave Texas because of my max rental. Again as stated I have live in Texas and stayed in Frisco with that amount and was fine. Texas is one of the cheaper states especially compared to where I live now which is Florida way more expensive than Texas could ever be and I live in one of the top places in the metroplex.... I will not subject my family to a nots so good area that's why I am asking. Don't need help with the commute or other things that some of you are giving I ask specifics... Don't mean that all or the top priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM
 
413 posts, read 652,456 times
Reputation: 453
I did read your post carefully, but you seem to not like my answer. $1250 won't get you a safe area with good schools. Go on zillow.com and search for rental detached houses in San Antonio under $1250. Nothing appears at all outside 1604 (not on the west/northwest), or anywhere in the area bordered by 281-410-10-1604. Those are the safe areas with good schools. Zero matches. Yes, you can go west and south and find a house for $1250, but at lower levels of safety and school quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM
 
56 posts, read 79,529 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
That is the truth ItsTheTruth. I must agree since the OP is worried about crime.

Fact is most violent crimes are down across the board, although property crimes are rising, so if someone is not reassured by that and are still worried about violent crime when the rates are falling then they simply will not be happy there, here, or anywhere in between.

They will especially not like it here if they are worried about crime to the extent that is a major reason they are wanting to relocate to begin with. The object is to enjoy a whole city and not stay secluded in your own neighborhood with a circle-the-wagons mentality.

I will even go so far as to recommend leaving the South entirely and not just Texas. Now if the OP is fine with only enjoying their own neighborhood and never venturing to the rest of a city then my comments should be disregarded.

Most school districts are also going to be hurting across the board in Texas through the coming years.
I think any mother would ask about the crime? Im not sure what you think people suppose to ask when relocating to another city??? Once again I lived in Dallas growing up now I live in Orlando need I say more? And we don't live in a bubble as you call it and I won't any where that's why you ask these question and check it out yourself and make adjustments being that I lived in Texas almost all my life except two years I will take these last 2 comments like a grain of salt. Florida crime and school could never compare to Texas not by a long shot. We are locating back to Texas more reason than I want to share on here because it is irrelevant. I got everything thanks for the advice anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
 
56 posts, read 79,529 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I did read your post carefully, but you seem to not like my answer. $1250 won't get you a safe area with good schools. Go on zillow.com and search for rental detached houses in San Antonio under $1250. Nothing appears at all outside 1604 (not on the west/northwest), or anywhere in the area bordered by 281-410-10-1604. Those are the safe areas with good schools. Zero matches. Yes, you can go west and south and find a house for $1250, but at lower levels of safety and school quality.
Not that I didn't like your answer but other then this site I have done my research and I have found rentals through a realtor and found some in the are you claim there is not..... Zillow doesn't have everything that is available.... Thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
 
413 posts, read 652,456 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove81 View Post
Not that I didn't like your answer but other then this site I have done my research and I have found rentals through a realtor and found some in the are you claim there is not..... Zillow doesn't have everything that is available.... Thanks anyway.
Well of course zillow doesn't have everything, but it show a general trend for neighborhoods. If your realtor is finding properties significantly below market value, then you should either jump on them or ask yourself why they are so cheap.

As for schools, I'm not sure why you're ranking Texas higher than Florida. At best, they're comparable.
State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,360,469 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove81 View Post
I think any mother would ask about the crime? Im not sure what you think people suppose to ask when relocating to another city???
Probably every person (parent or not) has at least some concern about crime. I tend to think it's an odd question though. No one asks "Where's the place with the highest crime? That's where I want to live!" So when people make a big deal about trying to avoid crime, I do tend to think they have an over-concern about it. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our issue that is of most concern to us. However, i don't think you'll ever get fully away from the possibilty of some type of crime. And we all have our own perceptions. I live downtown, in an area most here will tell you is crime-ridden, except we leave our doors unlocked, walk home late at night, our kids play outside, and do all sorts of things people might think are an invitation to crime. My friends in the "best" areas (gated communities, or neighborhoods people talk about here as best) have had more issues than we ever have. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist here, it's just not a daily problem. However, if you're the type to see danger with any stranger walking by, then everywhere will be scary or you.

As for schools, the current Texas administration seems to believe that schools only matter if they're private. Public school funding is being cut left and right. So, as a whole, I'd say the state of Texas education is pathetic. However, individual schools excel despite that, and they're not all in the "best" districts. You also have to decide what matters to you about school - education or test scores. I've known people who have moved *out* of the "best" districts (or who send their kids to our school despite living in the "best") because they don't like the testing focus. It's a problem for ALL public schools, unfortunately, but some schools deal with it better than others or offer other things that make it worthwhile (for us, it's the dual-language immersion program, access to the arts and outdoor sciences). If you prefer to only base your decision on test scores, then it's easy. If there are other elements that matter to you, then talk to people who go to those specific schools to get a feel for the pros/cons of each.

You're best off looking for the type of places you want, in your price point, and then looking to see if the commute and local school and neighborhood are suitable to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top