Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM

56 posts, read 92,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Probably every person (parent or not) has at least some concern about crime. I tend to think it's an odd question though. No one asks "Where's the place with the highest crime? That's where I want to live!" So when people make a big deal about trying to avoid crime, I do tend to think they have an over-concern about it. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our issue that is of most concern to us. However, i don't think you'll ever get fully away from the possibilty of some type of crime. And we all have our own perceptions. I live downtown, in an area most here will tell you is crime-ridden, except we leave our doors unlocked, walk home late at night, our kids play outside, and do all sorts of things people might think are an invitation to crime. My friends in the "best" areas (gated communities, or neighborhoods people talk about here as best) have had more issues than we ever have. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist here, it's just not a daily problem. However, if you're the type to see danger with any stranger walking by, then everywhere will be scary or you.
I deffinately agree with the school information you stated. I believe the crime question or the way I may have worded it has been taking out of proportion. If you go on the Orlando forum that question would not be consider a odd question i see it appear all the time. I'm not parrinoid but like to have an idea. I don't like to live in fear I live life I just have two girls and I like to know about everything. going up on rent if need be to get a better place is okay with me thats why I am researching everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove81 View Post
I deffinately agree with the school information you stated. I believe the crime question or the way I may have worded it has been taking out of proportion. If you go on the Orlando forum that question would not be consider a odd question i see it appear all the time. I'm not parrinoid but like to have an idea. I don't like to live in fear I live life I just have two girls and I like to know about everything. going up on rent if need be to get a better place is okay with me thats why I am researching everything.
Although watching the local news might lead you to believe otherwise ("if it bleeds, it leads"), the violent crime rate is relatively low here; property crimes are about average. Again, as others have mentioned, it varies widely depending on what part of the city you're in. Generally-speaking, outside Loop 410 is going to be safer than inside, although there are pockets inside 410 that are certainly safer than some pockets outside of 410. Outside 1604 is probably almost guaranteed to be the safest.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Although watching the local news might lead you to believe otherwise ("if it bleeds, it leads"), the violent crime rate is relatively low here; property crimes are about average. Again, as others have mentioned, it varies widely depending on what part of the city you're in. Generally-speaking, outside Loop 410 is going to be safer than inside, although there are pockets inside 410 that are certainly safer than some pockets outside of 410. Outside 1604 is probably almost guaranteed to be the safest.
Oh thank you very much for that information. I think you understand my question about crime just to have a GENERAL idea. Some others did as well but this is what I was wanting to know.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
It's a common question anywhere, including on this forum. I just find it kind of odd when anyone asks - especially when it's the central theme- because I can't imagine anyone _wanting_ to live where there's crime.

FYI I have two kids as well. And we don't live in fear. Right now, all my doors and windows are open. I am home, so it may not seem odd, but I know people who wouldn't even do that (door is ALWAYS locked even if they're home), and they live in the "best" "no crime" areas.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's a common question anywhere, including on this forum. I just find it kind of odd when anyone asks - especially when it's the central theme- because I can't imagine anyone _wanting_ to live where there's crime.

FYI I have two kids as well. And we don't live in fear. Right now, all my doors and windows are open. I am home, so it may not seem odd, but I know people who wouldn't even do that (door is ALWAYS locked even if they're home), and they live in the "best" "no crime" areas.
Coming from someone who does not know that city and where to go.... How will I know what area is good or bad? That's why I asked... I never ask for a area with no crime didn't even know they exist. btw if I was familiar with the city I would have never asked... And I won't live in fear where I go I keep hearing that come up.... If that was the case I would have not move to a complete different state of I lived my life in fear I'm not understanding some of these statements... This is deffinately taken out of content.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Coming from someone who does not know that city and where to go.... How will I know what area is good or bad? That's why I asked... I never ask for a area with no crime didn't even know they exist. btw if I was familiar with the city I would have never asked... And I won't live in fear where I go I keep hearing that come up.... If that was the case I would have not move to a complete different state of I lived my life in fear I'm not understanding some of these statements... This is deffinately taken out of content.
As long as you accept that anywhere you live, there is always the potential for crime, then it's not a big deal. You've been given many suggestions, so run with them.

It's easier to ask about a specific neighborhood/zip code/street than to respond about an area the size of San Antonio. If you find a house that appeals in your price point, give us the location and you might get specific responses re: crime/schools.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
I can offer this. According to zillow $1,175 gets you a 2 bedroom in Oak Park which is in Alamo Heights School District. Woodridge is not as prestigious as Cambridge but a very good elementary.

102 Treasure Way is $1,095 a month and is farther north with Thousand Oaks Elementary. I am sure others can tell you the quality of that school. If you want more rooms to rent then prices in the better areas will rise. These were just two examples and good luck in your search for a new home.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM

487 posts, read 992,010 times
Quote:
Blove81, for someone just looking for general advise you seem to get very defensive easily. I think people are just trying to give you their best opinions based on the information you provided, which is very limited. For example, I based my recommendation of San Antonio over Austin on the fact that we have a lot of stuff to do for kids (which in my case it's a major selling point), but you quickly dismissed it. You didn't provided, however, more information on what you are looking for.

So, unless you provide specific questions, you can expect answer all over the place.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
102 Treasure Way is $1,095 a month.
That's not a house. You didn't post the address of your first place, but I would assume the same for that one.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:23 PM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
the violent crime rate is relatively low here; property crimes are about average.
Actual statistics say otherwise:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I will say that most violent crime is easily avoided if you don't live in a gang neighborhood and don't sell drugs, but property crime here is way above average (2.5x the national average).

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio