U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM

836 posts, read 2,996,531 times

Advertisements

I was reading over this forum and figured I would ask...So San Antonio is laid back place with nice but hot weather and somewhat low crime? Is that what I'm getting from this forum..

We were told we are possibly going to be relocating to San Antonio, but have no idea when just yet. So doing my research and since I have never been to San Antonio.. I have been reading forums about the area, schools, life, wildlife,..etc... So as far as the culture shock.. How does San Antonio differ from NC and KY?? We are not looking for homes in the city.. looking more along the outskirts or more country areas..with the best schools.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: new topic required new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM

836 posts, read 2,996,531 times
Hmm I guess no one knows the differences between the 3 places..or anything about the area..

Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,724,697 times
We lived outside of Raleigh a few years ago. If you are familiar with the area then you know there are very few NC natives in the area. Because of that I'm not sure how my experience compares to other areas. I will say that even though I find the hill country beautiful a lot of non-Texans seem to really miss the pine trees. We lived in Holly Springs on the edge of the woods so had more wildlife then I have here in Stone Oak. I suspect if I moved out more in the country I'd see as much here. We do have scorpions if you are rural which I didn't see in NC but I've only had 5 inside any of my houses in 40 years here so I wouldn't say here are that many in established areas. NC had lots of copperheads and ticks with lime disease. TX has more rattlesnakes but also copperheads. Again in town mostly a grass snake or two at most.

We were told Wake County ISD was excellent and that made sense with the level of colleges in the area. We were not aware it was about to implode over the busing situation. To avoid it we picked Holly Springs and were very unhappy with the school. It was very unfriendly and not on par academically as the schools in Stone Oak. However that may not hold true for other NC schools compared to other schools in SA. NC ranks better overall so check online for school ratings when looking for a place to live.

We also found that area to be more segregated then the part of SA we live on. There were certainly more African Americans on the area but the neighborhoods seemed to be (I hope) self segregated. There were a few Hispanics at the school but most we saw in the area were new immigrants. I don't recall any other nationalities in my area but Raleigh on a whole is probably more diverse due to RTP.

It will be much cheaper for groceries and gas here but you won't have lots of grocery stores to chose from. HEB dominates although everyone seems excited that Trader Joe's is coming. Property Taxes are much higher so plan for that if you buy. No income tax so we came out ahead when we moved back. Housing was cheaper in SA but our area there has dropped a lot. I think you can still get into a nicer neighborhood for a little less here in SA overall then in the Raleigh area.

A lot of people find the strong Hispanic culture in SA overwhelming. We're used to it so actually missed it more then we thought. Most people dislike the highways because of the businesses along them. They are not as pretty as the NC roads but on the upside the access roads make it easier to find your way.

Hope this helps some. I'm not impartial so I hesitated to post. I love where we live here and am Texan through and through so I didn't handle our move well. Hope you can read through that to get some info you need. As to KY my friend doesn't ever want to go back. She was one of the first group bused into the "white" school in her town and was shocked to see MY W. Tx HS wasn't segregated. Didn't give me much desire to live there but that's my only info so I know it doesn't mean much.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,181,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Hmm I guess no one knows the differences between the 3 places..or anything about the area..
nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio