Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,521,162 times

Advertisements

no reason to cry or whine about it? Tell that to little Ava's mother...

Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM

229 posts, read 472,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Were any of you there for the testimony?

The only jury I was ever put on, I saw police corruption and entrapment. I thought I was the "Law and Order" juror. I found out differently. Until you have been there, do not judge.

The usual Express News reporter assigned is probably a 22 year old new hire, that knows little.
I could buy your argument except for the fact that she PLEAD GUILTY. That is saying "Yep, I did it..my bad". No mercy.

As for jail space, how about we let out all the "criminals" that are in there for pot charges? That is a waste of time/space/money.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Usually the unwanted side effect to that combination is the pill-taker's death or a coma. This woman went to bed, in her own home, after taking the pills. She didn't crawl behind the wheel of her car at a bar and head for home after a binge. That's why this case is different.

IMO, the FDA needs to take this medicine off of the market.
I see your point. Her case is a little different from those other drunk drivers who intentionally got in their vehicles, killed someone, and still got 10 years probation. However, it is wholly irresponsible to mix sleep aids with alcohol.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I thought Ambien was illegal in the US.
As of '07 the French patent holder had to begin competing with the generics that were introduced to the market. The FDA will perhaps reevaluate this drug because at least in this city it has become a problem.

The following is from a WOAI piece.

Quote:
He didn’t remember walking to the store or paying for bags of items even though he had a receipt.
This is a comment solicited from that same article.

Quote:
My fiancee told me that I got up a night and went running around outside in the rain flailing my arms in my underwear.
Ambien: Complaints of bizarre and frightening behavior|WOAI: San Antonio News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
The usual Express News reporter assigned is probably a 22 year old new hire, that knows little.
The author of some of the E-N articles is positively a master at pulling heartstrings, having readers abandon all objectivity, and converting them into purely emotional creatures. Ava is not the only person or fact to this story even if some of the earlier articles and accompanying comments pretended that she was. Having readers emotionally invested sells more print or clicks so it is not that surprising.

Also while some will not appreciate this, juries are usually hesitant to convict women of Julie Ann Bronson's class or appearance. This verdict was no surprise either especially with the Ambien defense. It is also doubtful she willingly decided to drive and while mixing your meds with alcohol at home is certainly not wise it also isn't illegal. Luckily her life was not further ruined by this accident.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,392,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
I could buy your argument except for the fact that she PLEAD GUILTY. That is saying "Yep, I did it..my bad". No mercy.

As for jail space, how about we let out all the "criminals" that are in there for pot charges? That is a waste of time/space/money.
Again , without the facts and being there, I am slow to condemn the jury. As my wife says, I am a "softie" on drugs. I take nothing stronger for pain than aspirin and never a sleeping pill. Others cannot get by so easily are not as lucky. A physician friend saw the night as a perfect storm event.

If anyone gets behind the wheel after two quarts of beer and kills someone, a willful action has occurred and should be punished.

If someone inadvertently has such happen , perhaps , maybe perhaps, not the same punishment.

After my wife's death, I took Ambien for a short term. I am not certain that my actions were always as coherent as they may have been without the drug.

Maybe the outcome was good lawyering , maybe it was the truth. I was not there, the jury was.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post

Are there very many of these?
My impression and experience with others is that these charges often end up with probation as well.

Actually, I've never heard of someone busted with pot that got anything but probation, unless it was a dealer I guess.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
I have a friend who sleep-cooked while on Ambien. She'd wake up in the morning having cooked and eaten food in her sleep and had no memory of any of it. I remembered that when I read that this woman woke up in a jail cell with no memory of what she had done.

That's why I blame the drug more than the patient.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM

923 posts, read 1,494,979 times
Ambien does indeed have bad side effects.

I've seen people who take it and their behavior is bizarre.
My cousin took Ambien once and called her brother and asked him to bring their dad and come pick her up; only thing was, their father is deceased.

I would recommend everyone stay away from Ambien.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,793,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The jury, who had to consider the facts presented to them, decided it was Ambien to blame.

There is also not enough prison space and/or funds to lock everyone up.

I propose prohibition on alcohol in Bexar county. A simple yet radical solution. In either case there is no reason to whine, cry, or get bent out of shape over this issue. It is a problem but being a negative Nancy won't solve it.
Yeah, prohibition will go over well in this city. That will effect the revenue of Spurs games, the rodeo, Fiesta, etc. To makes generalizations that everybody who drinks alcohol runs over families is ridiculous. This woman was extremely irresponsible I do not think anyone can argue with that. As far as Ambien goes I have seen peaceful people become very violent while under this drug. I agree that it should be banned as well as certain other pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio