U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times

Advertisements

Guess that's what seperates a true animal lover from the rest of you then.. I hold animals and little kids on a pedestal. The rest of the people have lost their innocence. They're the only true pure ones left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:23 PM

11,141 posts, read 20,325,757 times
I think Austin is more of a dog-loving town, in terms of events and being able to take your dog places like restaurants. My sister lives in Austin and she's always going to the dog parade or dog play group.

I live at the edge of San Antonio. There's a dog park nearby, it has trees and some training equipment (a ring to jump through, ramps to walk on). It's nice and we see other dog-lovers there. I take my dog there because I'm not comfortable walking her in my neighborhood anymore, after we got attacked by two pit bulls one day.

In my neighborhood, we find dumped dogs all the time. People love to leave them at the school, figuring, I guess, that they'll get taken home by some sweet kid. Instead, they sit there looking at everyone who walks up, hoping their owner has come to get them, while all the moms make excuses to their kids and to each other about how they're way too busy for another dog. Personally, if it's a small dog, I will take it home, clean it up, take it to be scanned for a microchip, make a small search for the owner, and end up rehoming it on craigslist. If it's a large dog, there's almost no hope of rehoming it. My neighbors (many of them, not just one or two) let their dogs run loose and don't spay or neuter, so their dogs are running around procreating until they get run over or attacked by the packs of big dumped dogs that live in the fields here, or the wild hogs that live near the water treatment plant.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
Moderator cut: Off-Topic They buy dogs without any thought and just toss them out when they become bored with them. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Not a day goes by here where I don't see people out walking their dogs and training them. It is actually an insult to have a dog that isn't well behaved. It is not tolerated nor is it accepted. Anyone that claims the same is true in SA (along with quite a few other places) is delusional.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-19-2012 at 04:23 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Part of the problem with strays is not just irresponsible owners but some of the policy changes at ACS several years ago. Litterers and no-kill sheltering are also contributing factors.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-19-2012 at 04:23 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
The majority of the homeowners in my neighborhood also own dogs. Many own 2-3 dogs. I've never lived in a place where people owned so many dogs.

Since a few of the neighbor dogs are "outside" dogs that bark for no apparent reason, I think I'd prefer to live in a place that had fewer dogs.

IMO the fact that the local newspaper has a local columnist who writes a weekly column about pets, and that column is about dogs 90% of the time, is another indicator of how dog-centric this town is.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM

413 posts, read 652,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Since a few of the neighbor dogs are "outside" dogs
That's not a dog. That's a piece of property. Any "dog owner" that keeps their dogs outside should be ashamed of themselves. I keep shovels outside, I keep lawn chairs outside. I keep my family inside.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM

111 posts, read 147,216 times
Drive down through Mexico and Central America and you find the same lack of caring for animals..It's the culture.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM

413 posts, read 652,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Part of the problem with strays is not just irresponsible owners but some of the policy changes at ACS several years ago. Litterers and no-kill sheltering are also contributing factors.
As much as I love dogs, no-kill is a horrible idea by people who obviously don't have dogs. The real solution is to get the IRS involved in catching people not reporting income from breeding, $5000 permits to breed a dog or keep an unneutered/unspayed dog, and banning pet stores. A big step would be to convince CraigsList to require people "re-homing" dogs to submit identification and pay a fee to post.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-19-2012 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
That's not a dog. That's a piece of property. Any "dog owner" that keeps their dogs outside should be ashamed of themselves. I keep shovels outside, I keep lawn chairs outside. I keep my family inside.
I agree and I feel sorry for the dogs. I don't know why they bother to have a dog if they don't want to live with it. There's no law against it, though.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM

210 posts, read 438,064 times
I've lived here for almost a year and I wouldn't call San Antonio a "dog town". Maybe a "stray dog town" or even a "leave-your-dogs-in-the-back-yard-24/7 town".. But no, not a "dog town".

I've come to hate many pet owners since arriving here. In my 23yrs in England I encountered ONE stray dog that had gotten lose from it's home. ONE! In the last six months I've chased down EIGHT dogs *in my neighbourhood alone* and returned them to their owners.. Who promptly shoved them in the backyards again. Sigh.

Sorry, as an animal lover this absolutely makes me rage. I'm not equating them to humans, they are animals at the end of the day, but they certainly don't deserve the horrible treatment bestowed upon them by so-called owners. Poor things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or