Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM

679 posts, read 1,795,048 times

Advertisements

Out here in the hills there are two bilingual classes per grade in the elementary school. The goal is to get them into English speaking classes as quickly as possible. We also have translators at important parent meetings. I know many families who speak only Spanish at home so the children retain a piece of their heritage and gain a valuable skill. It hurts them a bit in preschool/kindy but in the end -- very very smart, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,518,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
The only thing I have issue with is the notion that people who speak spanish are Spanish. You do realize that people who are Spanish are from Spain right? .
I believe the OP said he/she was of Spanish descent (not Mexican or other Latin America, but of Spain)

Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,518,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Out here in the hills there are two bilingual classes per grade in the elementary school. The goal is to get them into English speaking classes as quickly as possible. We also have translators at important parent meetings. I know many families who speak only Spanish at home so the children retain a piece of their heritage and gain a valuable skill. It hurts them a bit in preschool/kindy but in the end -- very very smart, if you ask me.
The program at our school is very different from typical bilingual education(a lot of people assume dual-language immersion is bilingual).

The dual language program starts in kinder at 90/10 (spanish/english), with decreasing ratios each year, so that by 6 grade they're mostly in English classes except one class for Spanish. The goal is to get the English speakers to be mostly fluent in Spanish (I'd say about half the English speakers are from non-hispanic families, the others from hispanic families who don't speak Spanish). It also helps the Spanish speakers to transition to English, but it doesn't have a push to get them into English classes. While the aim is to have a student ratio of 50/50, it's actually hard to get that ratio because the Spanish-only parents fear their kids won't learn English so put them in the English classes (most of the teachers are bilingual anyway).

Interestingly, despite the emphasis on Spanish, a lot of the kids who started with Spanish only in the fall are now pretty fluent in English.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM

332 posts, read 527,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy2tx View Post
I'm half Spanish and half Italian..
you will have no issues speaking only english in SA. the overwhelming majority of the residents here speak it.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-25-2012 at 03:12 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM

487 posts, read 988,349 times
I'm a first generation immigrant from Mexico (10 years and counting) and while we still speak Spanish at home, my kids (who where born here) struggle more and more with Spanish as they grow older. At first I was a little surprised (and even critical) at how quickly second or third generation Hispanics lost their Spanish skills, but now I do realize now how easy it is to lose it, particularly if you are surrounded by English-speaking people. I do still want my kids to become completely bilingual, as I see that as an advantage to people who only speak one language.

While I never demand and sometimes not even expect people to speak Spanish (even here in San Antonio), it is always nice to find someone with the same level of "fluency" in Spanish. Since I've visited and lived in many countries in Latin America, we almost immediately find something in common. So, please don't judge me if you hear me speaking Spanish on the street. I promise that as soon as you start talking to me in English, I'll switch for you. By the way, many of my friends who also are recent immigrants usually switch to English if there is someone in the group who doesn't understand Spanish. Out of respect, you know.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM

679 posts, read 1,795,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The program at our school is very different from typical bilingual education(a lot of people assume dual-language immersion is bilingual).

The dual language program starts in kinder at 90/10 (spanish/english), with decreasing ratios each year, so that by 6 grade they're mostly in English classes except one class for Spanish. The goal is to get the English speakers to be mostly fluent in Spanish (I'd say about half the English speakers are from non-hispanic families, the others from hispanic families who don't speak Spanish). It also helps the Spanish speakers to transition to English, but it doesn't have a push to get them into English classes. While the aim is to have a student ratio of 50/50, it's actually hard to get that ratio because the Spanish-only parents fear their kids won't learn English so put them in the English classes (most of the teachers are bilingual anyway).

Interestingly, despite the emphasis on Spanish, a lot of the kids who started with Spanish only in the fall are now pretty fluent in English.
I am very familiar with immersion language programs, I moved from the north where they are quite popular. I wish we had something similar. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-25-2012 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Illegal immigration can only be discussed in the P&OC Forum

Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM

108 posts, read 240,606 times
Just be yourself it doesn't matter If this city is Bi-cultural. I am Hispanic and born in Denver I didn't understand one word in Spanish since I was raised speaking English. I took Spanish in Junior High and got a C then again in High School and got a B my Spanish teacher was Irish American. I then took 3 years of German and received straight A's go figure. There are things about the Mexican culture I don't understand ,I didn't know why we celebrated Cinco de Mayo. I speak Tex-Mex when I speak to an elder who can not speak English and I would sound like a fool or disrespectful because they expect me to know the language. My Great-Great Grandparents were from Floresville or whatever the name was prior when it was part of Mexico but then again Texas was Mexico. I guess that make me Texican.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,364,515 times
Default Well Said Max,

Put it as it is. One does not need spanish here.
You always do, nearly. I used to work in New Braunfels once,
and worked with an Old Man- Henk-, a farmer- was his name, who still retained
his German accent into the early eighties. It was humorous actually, looking back now. A heavy accent it was too. He owned a little business there at the west end.
San Antone will never be accused of blandness, in a city. No matter of how many people look down their noses at the place.
Protestants are merely watered down Catholics to me. If you want to mention dilution as a social condition.
I am not a Catholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

As a non-Hispanic, non-native Texan I have never encountered any language difficulty in San Antonio. I have met people here who speak little or no English, but never in a situation where it was a big issue (e.g. a waiter).

I grew up in Florida and while the Spanish heritage is more predominant here, it’s more of a historical/cultural thing to appreciate and enjoy. I for one like the fact that there is a strong heritage still evident in this city, too many places I have seen have become bland due to the “watering down” of such icons and a legacy like the one in San Antonio should be embraced and not feared.

Plus, Spanish is not the only culture prevalent in this part of Texas, there is a heavy German influence in this area as well as Czech and other nationalities.

All that said, it’s never a bad idea to speak a second language.

Most importantly, welcome to Texas and San Antonio! We hope you love it here as much as we do!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by huckster; 05-24-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,364,515 times
Default Nahhhhhhhhhh!

I am Mexican and I nearly always thought I was Spanish !
I also never knew that being called Spanish if a Mexican was offensive.
I am offended now. I don't think I'll take it any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
The only thing I have issue with is the notion that people who speak spanish are Spanish. You do realize that people who are Spanish are from Spain right? There seems to be this thing where the word Spanish is used for Hispanics/latinos and its incorrect and offensive. BTW, to echo the rest of the people in this thread, no, you don't need to know spanish.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM

578 posts, read 1,088,635 times
I live in the Midwest and am planning on starting Spanish lessons. It's the wave of the future. I just really hope English stays the main language. I guess I would consider English the "united states" cultural language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio