Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,644 times

Advertisements

I have decided to move to San Antonio from WI since I just graduated. I need to find a place to live, but I'm not sure if I should go down and pick out a place, and come back. I don't have much time as my lease runs out in two weeks.
The extra expense of going down and back just to find a place to live is going to hurt. Has anyone tried to set up a rental deal without seeing it in person? I was thinking of contacting a realtor, good idea?
I need a 1 bedroom apt/house with a garage.
I have gotten some advice that you want to live in the north side of town, preferably north of the 1604.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 AM

229 posts, read 669,686 times
Budget?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM

584 posts, read 1,188,022 times
Checkout the www.forrent.com site and also check www.apartmentratings.com. I think those are both the correct links but if not google them. Keep in mind that most apartment ratings are bad since people normally don't post if they like something.

I live outside 1604 on the northside and love the area. Others who do not live in the area will definitely tell you to stay away because traffic is terrible. Yes during rush hour it can be bad but other then that no issues. My husband and I both travel outside the area for work daily.

Good luck finding an apartment. There are definitely apartments in the area with garages and I am sure there are different price points but normally there are move-in specials.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,733,345 times
Apartments with garages are usually more expensive because they're the newer/more upscale complexes. Apartments on the north side north of 1604 are usually more expensive because of the area.

You can rent without seeing the place, but they all look nice on the computer...even the worst complex has a couple of decent spots to take pictures. I'm not sure using a realtor would help much. If you can budget for a couple days of staying in a motel while you look for a place to live, that would be the best way to do it.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,134,564 times
You don't want to rent with out checking the place out. There are so many things the internet does not show. Check out the apartment review websites, they help alot,

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 AM

I have been doing a bit of research online, there is just so much info out there it is hard to know where to start! I am looking to spend around $700-800. Thanks much for the quick replies!
I can't have a place without a garage, I use it too much.
Is there any particular areas that are nice and safe outside of the North/Northwest side of SA?
A house would be nice...

Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,134,564 times
Where are you going to be working? Finding a house or an apartment with a garage for 800 a month is going to tough

Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM

I still have to find an internship, but a commute isn't going to bother me.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM

130 posts, read 252,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh001 View Post
I still have to find an internship, but a commute isn't going to bother me.
What internship are you looking for? Commutes can range from 15mins to over an hour, depending on where you choose to live.

Plus, what type of lifestlye are you looking for?
Downtown (sort of a night life)
Near college university?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,733,345 times
What do you use the garage for? Most apartment complexes have rules against working on your car in the complex and it's too hot to do lots of outdoor stuff here in the summers, you may not really use a garage as much as you think you would.

Most houses want first and last months rent and a deposit, is that in your budget? Also, to get approved for an apartment (or probably a house) you have to have a job or other income, usually three times the monthly rent. You can have your parents cosign for it but they have to make seven times the rent, usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio