U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,959,744 times
Reputation: 163192

Advertisements

I can't hear it on the south side! Could you have them turn it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,404,873 times
Reputation: 1536
For southsiders--- There is no volume control for the Govt. detonations
s.a.tx.56. At least you used to have the sonic booms from Brooks Field to comfort you back in the sixties. Alas , no more. Those booms used to startle hell out of me whan I was 6-7 years old.
You will have to drive nearer to hear explosions now. In case you miss these noises.
Something a bit more constructive and cost effective could be done with these explosives however I believe, let's see... excavate some basements for future barracks sites, get rid of obsolete tanks, airplanes and equipment, quickly, clear land of overgrowth for future practice drill areas, things like this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I can't hear it on the south side! Could you have them turn it up?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-07-2012 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: title removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,811 posts, read 33,101,095 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Something a bit more constructive and cost effective could be done with these explosives however I believe, let's see... excavate some basements for future barracks sites, get rid of obsolete tanks, airplanes and equipment, quickly, clear land of overgrowth for future practice drill areas, things like this.
They could be used as part of a July 4th fireworks display there. Alternate fireworks with ordinance.

Sky display
Ground "display"
Sky display
Ground "display"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 AM
 
270 posts, read 842,643 times
Reputation: 242
Just heard 4 in succession....rattled the windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
 
337 posts, read 740,619 times
Reputation: 157
rocking us pretty good in Timberwood Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,623,157 times
Reputation: 3910
I'm feeling vibrations in Stone Oak and I'm NOT in my bedroom!

Unsure if it's the Encino Rio quarry or the Camp Bullis detonations. I'm guessing the Camp Bullis explosions couldn't reach this far, but usually they only blow up stuff at the quarry once, not multiple times like have occurred in the past few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,404,873 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Heh,heh,

Great idea Bo. Detonations would a dual purpose, to get the entertainment value back out of the investment, let's detonate on the fourth of July Celebration
and get rid of old explosives at the same time !
Probably the best idea. All spectators could draw benefit this way along with the u.s. govt..very cost effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
They could be used as part of a July 4th fireworks display there. Alternate fireworks with ordinance.

Sky display
Ground "display"
Sky display
Ground "display"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,959,744 times
Reputation: 163192
The Medina Base blast had me going. These days Brooks looks like Chernobyl. I lived out at Boerne Stage Rd and Scenic Loop area back in the early 80's. I did hear loud explosions then. It was me setting off 5 blasting caps at a time trapping Deer and (turkeys unfortunately) too. This to drop a 60sq.ft net on deer to turn loose off the property on the road.

Frequenting Camp Bullis and Stanley area, Leon Springs. Don't recall if We heard much back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
For southsiders--- There is no volume control for the Govt. detonations
s.a.tx.56. At least you used to have the sonic booms from Brooks Field to comfort you back in the sixties. Alas , no more. Those booms used to startle hell out of me whan I was 6-7 years old.
You will have to drive nearer to hear explosions now. In case you miss these noises.
Something a bit more constructive and cost effective could be done with these explosives however I believe, let's see... excavate some basements for future barracks sites, get rid of obsolete tanks, airplanes and equipment, quickly, clear land of overgrowth for future practice drill areas, things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: NW near Sea World...and in a house
546 posts, read 1,311,162 times
Reputation: 331
Husband works at the ranges at Bullis apparently its old stuff from camp stanley. oh well. glad i dont live near there. The only thing i have to deal with is the screaming engines of the C5 and the 149th's F16s which tend to bring my son out of a nap here and there, but i just tell him its the sound of freedom and he goes right back to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 02:23 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,404,873 times
Reputation: 1536
Default C-5 Noise,

Mrs. B ,yes the noise off the C-5 A is deafening, nothing can be spoken and heard if they are at low enough altitude, I counted 25 wheels on the underside once of those monsters.
My brother who was a mech. for the A.F. said some of these tires will blow at upon landing very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
Husband works at the ranges at Bullis apparently its old stuff from camp stanley. oh well. glad i dont live near there. The only thing i have to deal with is the screaming engines of the C5 and the 149th's F16s which tend to bring my son out of a nap here and there, but i just tell him its the sound of freedom and he goes right back to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top