U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM

332 posts, read 461,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
No offense taken, my kids' attendance is not an issue; but I don't see the motivation behind this to better these kids' education but to ensure the schools continue to draw monies from the state and Federal governments.p
well, kids will be kids and skip school. would you rather your money get spent on a) a bad teacher or b) a program that will ensure people skipping school are caught every day and parents notified? extreme comparison maybe, but my point stands.

Quote:
I don't see this as a solution to attendance problems, just a waste of money and an infringement of privacy. As I stated, students that are not in class are most likely not on campus, and given the limited range and capability I just am not seeing the 'bang for the buck.'
how is this in any way a waste of money? kids that would otherwise be skipping school would have a way to be accounted for. are you saying you'd rather the school let them skip and deny them an education?

Quote:
I'd rather the limited funds go into improving the education of those students who do make it to class. Hunting down those who skip and making them sit in class doesn't mean they're suddenly going to get an interest in their education.
so you'd rather deny them an education because you see them as a waste of time? how do you know they simply arent bored (as i was) because the course material is a few levels below them? or maybe they simply dont understand the material and need further explanation that the bad teacher was not willing to give?

Quote:
So sorry, while I agree it is more than the school's responsibility to get the students where they need to be; I don't agree with wasting already limited funds on those who: 1) don't have an interest in being there, and 2) whose parents don't care either way.
i skipped HS a lot during my freshmen year because the material was levels below me. once the school brought me in to the counciller, they discovered this, changes were made and suddenly i was a straight A student in AP classes again, doing college-level work.

simply put:

you have no idea why the kids are skipping school and are assuming the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpiderWeb View Post
No thanks. If the schools are "constantly losing students" that just screams red flag to me.
maybe.. like... bad teachers? if kids are skipping because material isnt being explained properly, or the teacher isnt doing their job...

we dont have tenure in texas, but we do have something thats identical that NEEDS TO GO.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfil View Post
it wasn't on fox and friends this time .

I wouldn't know...I get my news from real sources.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
I wouldn't know...I get my news from real sources.
wikipedia doesnt count either.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
LOL....no, it does not.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,409,375 times
Default Yes,yes,

It must be a difficult thing to do , to motivate children to facilitate
learning, for teachers And, to maintain that fresh outlook for them every or nearly every day.
I remember, the good ones stand out don't they when looking back.
It takes a certain kind of person to do this profession. The temperament
the motivation and realization of just how important it is.
Yes ,cull out mediocrity, but where to find good ones ?
Quote:
maybe.. like... bad teachers? if kids are skipping because material isnt being explained properly, or the teacher isnt doing their job...

we dont have tenure in texas, but we do have something thats identical that NEEDS TO GO.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah

simply put:

you have no idea why the kids are skipping school and are assuming the worst.
I doubt the reasons kids are skipping school differ too much than the ones 30 years ago.

And please inform all of us how your expert opinion is more accurate than anyone elses?!?

The bottom line, once again, is that this system is expensive and not overly effective. If a student isn't in class, they likely aren't on campus; and there are som many ways to circumvent this tracking system that the ability to prove that the student is actually physically present on campus is slim.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-29-2012 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: OT/personal comment not permitted

Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Sourced Wikipedia does.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 AM

502 posts, read 813,162 times
Didn't work when I was in school it won't now either! Btw if you forgot kids are the most crafty creatures!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 AM

Why don't they just install surveillance/closed circuit television cameras with facial recognition software? That's been utilized in the UK for quite some time now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio