U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM

69 posts, read 62,120 times
Default Looking for German Food: Rindswurst and Ketchup

Anyone know where I can buy German rindswurst and ketchup within an hour or so of SA?

I've looked around at menus at various German restaurants, searched the store shelves, etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 PM

8,303 posts, read 12,823,854 times
Awww, you've got bad timing; I just got back from a week in Heidelberg...

Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM

409 posts, read 435,687 times
The only places I can think of is Old World Delicatssen on Babcock or Bavaria Haus in Kirby on FM 78. Das essen ist sehr gut.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,834,881 times
Do you mean the curry ketchup? Have you checked World Market? Seems like I have seen it there in the past, but often I see something there and then they don't have it the next time. Also possibly Central Market...

For the rindswurst, maybe Opa's in Fredericksburg? More than an hour, but not much more. I would definitely call before going. If they don't offer it, maybe they know someone who does.

I would love to find good brotchen at a local bakery.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM

52 posts, read 70,033 times
We order stuff from germandeli.com as when we left Germany, we missed our German foods. Unfortunately, according to their website: "The FDA has banned import of products containing beef from Germany. We haven't yet located a USA butcher that makes Rindswurst like one would expect to get in Germany."

Good luck to you! If you do find something delicious, please let us know!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM

69 posts, read 62,120 times
Thanks major; youíre all heart.

Sonny Iíll check out the Old World Deli Ė didnít know about that.

Buffy, not curry ketchup. The German stuff looks just like American ketchup (red) but tastes so much better. I looked at Opaís menu a while back and they didnít list rindswurst. Guess I should call. Far as brotchen goes HEB sells some rolls that are semi-closeÖbut no cigar.

Thanks Luminous, Iíll check out germandeli.com. Donít get me started on the FDA.

If I do find something, I'll update this.

After I eat.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM

56 posts, read 49,316 times
I second germandeli.com. I order from them all the time.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 21 days ago)

21,007 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Nope. You will not get it in San Antonio.
There is no authentic German food anywhere close to SA.
While the cook in Bavaria House is German, the people cooking at Old world are not. In both places food is Americanized.
Check the sausages at Sasha International Market on Callaghan, they do not have German sausages, but Polish - which could be similar in taste.
For German ketchup check the Alibaba International Market.
The closest place ( to my knowledge ) to get some of that stuff would be Houston.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,807,200 times
Sadly, I think Old World has closed.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 21 days ago)

21,007 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Oh... not that I am missing their food, but it's sad that another (non-Mexican) ethnic restaurant is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio