U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 PM

153 posts, read 248,870 times

Advertisements

Someone tell me why motorcycles are exempt from safety laws??
So far since nobody has answered, I guess I am 100% correct!! Lord help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 PM

5,159 posts, read 9,686,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccvms View Post
They have to pass the same safety inspection that cars do, and you cant really have a seat belt on a motorcycle.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccvms View Post
What safety laws are you referring to?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You do know Insurance only has to be valid on the day the car is inspected, correct? And all they need is an insurance card, so if they sign up for a policy, and then cancel, its still valid for the inspection. $15 may not seem like a lot of money, however when you multiply that by the number of cars in the state, its a lot of money.
You do know that insurance companies are required to report to the state when you cancel your policy now, right?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,686,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You do know that insurance companies are required to report to the state when you cancel your policy now, right?
Okay. However when you cancel your insurance, you still have your insurance card and the person doing the inspection is only doing a visual inspection on the insurance card. If the card says the insurance is good, its okay for the inspection.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:16 AM

153 posts, read 248,870 times
What I am referring to is they do not make you wear a helmet, its your choice.
Everyone must wear a seatbelt, no choice, why? for our safety??? Doubt it, its about the Benjamins and being able to stand under a bridge and point you over to the next 4 officers waiting happily to earn money for their perticular area.
I believe an accident on a motorcycle would on average cost more healthcare dollars than in a car, so I believe that theory is shot.
I'm not trying to be an ass, it has just always bothered me that everyone should have their own choice with this if it is for our safety.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 AM

208 posts, read 318,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
We pay you cops for help, but in all my 20 years in San Antonio the cops were helpless when I needed help, and in fact gave me wrong information or did the wrong thing (like the time my car got hit and was rendered undriveable and yet the cop didn't arrange a tow truck for me which I couldn't do due to severe hearing impairment). Maybe it's time for me to whine about the San Antonio police, so maybe you can tell me who I can write to about police malfunction?
It's very easy to either complain about or give cudo's to a police officer. And believe it or not, a police department wants to hear from citizen's who want to let them know about officers who are messing up and those doing a good job. Most people only think about complaining about what we do, not tell the department leadership about the good things we do. Call whichever police department and tell the operator or dispatcher what you want to do. They will give you instructions on how to do what you want to do or they will transfer you to someone who you can talk to.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,079,148 times
Thank you Texascop, I am going to the phone and do it right now. After living here in San Antonio for two decades, I have a LOT to discuss with whoever they put me in with, maybe the police chief himself I hope.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,608,927 times
Full disclosure: I have had a few "opportunities" to engage in a "brief conversation" with SAPD traffic enforcement. In other words, I was speeding and got caught. My fault, my responsibility to pay the consequences.

I have a great deal of respect for members of law enforcement, whether city, county, state, or federal. Their jobs are often thankless, unseen, and unannounced. Folks often decry the "bad apples" or the times when things don't go as planned. However, I submit that there are many more hard working, honest and respectable officers who make the right calls, work the long hours in environments we'd rather not discuss, and generally keep us safe at night.

Sure, I've watched my share of police injustices in my 35 years on this rock, but I've also had a chance to get to know a lot of law enforcement officers, special agents, etc. and can tell you that I would have no qualms if either of my daughters choose that profession. These folks are local heroes (for the most part) and don't ask to be treated as such.

So, next time you see a cop standing on the corner, or look out your car window and see SAPD sitting right next to you, instead of looking away and muttering, say "thank you for your service" or give a friendly wave. Chances are, the officer will be surprised. But, I can almost guarantee you that you'll make his or her day.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or