Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I hear if there is a +20 degree difference between the thermostat inside and the outside temperature, it will never turn off.
Depends on the unit, I guess...I keep mine set at 72 year round and it does cycle off, even during the hottest part of the day in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Too many unknowns to consider to give someone an accurate answer to this question. Without a timed on/off type thermostat run fan on "Auto" when not at home. Service regularly.. if low on freon. ...repair leak. Don't let anyone just add freon. Keep your condenser clean (outdoor coil). Check and replace filters as needed.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM

45 posts, read 129,777 times
If you're frequently going up and down it's not good energy-wise, but if you crank it down all day (while at work), and then have it turned up for at night (so there's only one temperature change/day), that's where you can save energy.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:26 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I hear if there is a +20 degree difference between the thermostat inside and the outside temperature, it will never turn off.
If this is happening with your unit, it is either undersized in need of repair/replacements, or your residence needs some improvents in insulation. I keep mine at 75-76 inside and when it is 100+ outside my units have no problem keeping up with the heat, cycling on and off.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM

164 posts, read 329,792 times
update*

Since everyone basically advised to leaving the a/c on throughout the day I went ahead and purchased a programmable thermostat for $20 at Home Depot. It had been great and was easy to install myself. It automatically switches the temperature up to 85 while im gone during the day and down to 78 at evening and while i sleep.

I will see what my bill is at the end of the month?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 AM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
Smart move!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
update*

Since everyone basically advised to leaving the a/c on throughout the day I went ahead and purchased a programmable thermostat for $20 at Home Depot. It had been great and was easy to install myself. It automatically switches the temperature up to 85 while im gone during the day and down to 78 at evening and while i sleep.

I will see what my bill is at the end of the month?
CPS has energy calculators where you input the size of your home, the different appliances and how many hours you use them, number of people living in the house, etc. and it will calculate what your bill is likely to be. I've used it before and it's within a few dollars of my actual bill, usually.

http://c03.apogee.net/calcs/rescalc5...tyid=cpsenergy

Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 PM

332 posts, read 529,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
Hello everyone. It is now that time of year, getting hot! This means I will be using my AC more and more.

Here is my question for you money saving experts out there:

Is it more efficient to run my AC all day at like 78 or just when I sleep set at 78.

When I turn it on just at night it will have to work extra hard to cool down the room from 85-90 degrees so it is running hard for a bit.

fyi I am in a smaller apartment.

Also, i only have one of those old school thermostats. Would it be worth it to buy a digital one for cheap at Home Depot so I can set it to automatically turn on and off at certain times?

thanks
honestly, once you turn it off during the day it becomes an uphill battle. best way ive found to keep the temp down, as well as elec, is to run it til it gets to the temp you want, turn it off for an hour or so, let it warm up no more than 10F, cool it down, repeat.

also, since i live in an older house, i went to lowes and bought 3 tubes of clear silicon sealant. i plan on doing this in the next place i live in as well. i use clear to minimize the 'damage' i do, which is goin crazy with it and sealing every corner i can. i finished the windows in the living room and kitchen today. got a nice layer on the windows, let it dry, sealed it up nice and tight.

another good investment is a handheld gun that will show you heat/cold leaks. that in itself helped me track down *all* of the miniscule leaks that were abundant in my living room.

yet another good piece of advice is to go get rubber insulation pads for your light switches and elec outlets. those plastic covers leak heat/cold into your place something fierce! they also leak nasty cigg smoke from your neighbors, or whatever they happen to burn while cooking.

consider installing an exhaust system in the hottest room. for me, this is the kitchen. what i did was, on the panel that my dryer connects too, i used a 1/4" piece of wood, cut to fit. i put the dryer exhaust on the far corner then used the remaining space to cut in many holes for all the computer fans i have lying around. i have 5 x 90mm fans all running off a 2watt power supply. each fan runs at 2100 rpm (love coolmaster fans. so quiet and reliable). my kitchen went from an idle temp of around 75F to 68-70F. i realize this solution might not be for everyone, but for those of us in older, stone houses, this solution has REALLY helped me keep the kitchen cool during the heat. does wonders as well when i burn something!

computer fan exhaust systems also work wonders in the bathroom! i have one in there as well that does wonders keeping human and kitty funk at bay! custom built both of mine, can send you links to the parts i used if youre interested.

finally, you can get home window tint for your windows. since the film likely has adhesive on it, what you can do is thoroughly clean your windows (get a razor blade out and have at it), apply the tint WITHOUT removing the protective film that hides the adhesive, get some clear packing tape and use that to fasten it to the windows. of course, if you use soapy water, it should stick with no tape. this is what i did to my windows in all my rooms. it peels off REALLY easy, so when i move, i can take it with me and apply it to the next house i inhabit.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
Wow... y'all like it on the warm side.

I keep my home at 70 degrees when occupied and 75 when not occupied.

Oh, wow, a rich guy! Want to marry me?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM

218 posts, read 501,382 times
I keep my night at 72 and my day at 85. I'm on the averaging plan and it is $140 right now. 2400 sq. ft. House with all the bedrooms upstairs.

Sent from the secret mobile dojo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: