U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM

45 posts, read 114,619 times

Advertisements

Hey, we are moving to SA and wondering which school districts are good, in safe family neighborhoods, which will also have a dedicated gifted and talented program for my son entering 3rd grade. He's been tested and needs to be receiving this type of education. So what's your vote? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 PM

11,160 posts, read 20,457,871 times
My child is in an elementary school in NISD and only goes to GT class one hour a week.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Hey Hedgehog-mom, have you heard of any other places that offer more? We were putting him in a school where it was GT all day every day, but now we have to move to SA.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM

130 posts, read 222,157 times
He would probably have to be tested first, however, like the 2nd post...GT is mostly limited in Elementary Schools, unless you can find a private academy, that does these options.

So, are you looking for public or private schools?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
In NEISD, the GT program for elementaries is a half-day pullout program, one day a week.

Here's an overview of the GT curriculum in a PDF document.

Overview is available at: http://www.neisd.net/curriculum/SchI...t/gtindex.html

Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 PM

Well, now I feel like crying - he's not going to get in this year because we didn't get him tested in time. He was tested here but not in SA. I don't know if that matters. Ugh! Andrewcool, we were wanting a public school. I've heard a few people say there are popular districts but the schools are not necessarily that good. How do you figure these things out without actually living in SA for a few years first? Obviously I'd like to move and stay put. I appreciate all your help. I really hate moving and I hate that I have to take my kid out of a very, very good school program and put him into some unknown with new kids, etc, etc. Well, it's late and I'm getting emotional. lol!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Andrewcool - public, but the more I look at things maybe we need to go private. ugh! I suppose it's going to be insanely expensive.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 AM

890 posts, read 1,531,916 times
Are you a military family?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,978,448 times
I am not sure why you are hearing that the schools are not very good... That is far from the truth... NISD and NEISD are 2 of the top school districts in town and both have outstanding schools from Elementary up to High School level... Are some of the schools within the same district better than others? Of course, as is true in all districts, regardless of city or state...

If your son is that gifted and talented that a regular elementary school will not fit his needs then you may want to look at a Montessori School... You said you were going to put him into a school that was GT all day, everyday and a Montessori School would pretty much fit that bill... Looks like somebody also recommended this type of school to you in your "Moving to Pittsburg" post last week...

Good Luck...

Last edited by mrstxcop; 06-02-2012 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 AM

6,848 posts, read 10,139,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindata View Post
Well, now I feel like crying - he's not going to get in this year because we didn't get him tested in time. He was tested here but not in SA. I don't know if that matters. Ugh! Andrewcool, we were wanting a public school. I've heard a few people say there are popular districts but the schools are not necessarily that good. How do you figure these things out without actually living in SA for a few years first? Obviously I'd like to move and stay put. I appreciate all your help. I really hate moving and I hate that I have to take my kid out of a very, very good school program and put him into some unknown with new kids, etc, etc. Well, it's late and I'm getting emotional. lol!
Check with the schools that you're interested in, as some Texas schools will take the GT testing/results from other states w/o having to retest.

Here is the list of
SA's school districts w/website links.

And, here is the Texas Education Agency site w/the Accountablity Ratings for each district/school. Choose map or text-only on this first page and on the second page, enter in the district name of your choice - this will bring up the school district (w/website link as well) and map location if chosen, along with the overall Accountability Rating, Enrollment and the Academic Excellence Indicator System (AEIS) for the past three years, along with a complete list of schools, their address, phone number and link to each school's Accountability Rating, Enrollment and AEIS for the past three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or