U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 12:43 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,115,223 times

Advertisements

I was checking out the San Antonio City Parks page, and I noticed alisting for 'Iron Horse Canyon' at 14712 Iron Horse Way (78023) with 594 acres but it listed as "not open to public/pending amenities." We live pretty close to there, but I have never seen anything concerning a city park in that area. Has anyone heard anything about it??

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 04:43 PM

330 posts, read 1,234,674 times
Good catch, I never noticed that. Here's two brief mentions I found on Google, and on the S.A. parks page I could see it was acquired in 2003 but nothing's been done with it. My guess is it was purchased almost as a city greenbelt, not intended for use but to prevent development? I really have no idea.

Brief mention of it as a natural area by Helotes Park Terrace/Park at French Creek:
http://www.ci.sat.tx.us/planning/pdf...0for%20Web.pdf

"Los Reyes Canyon is a single-family gated subdivision with 204 platted lots and private streets located immediately northwest and adjacent to Helotes with Iron Horse Canyon Park directly to the southwest."
CITY OF SAN ANTONIO PLANNING DEPARTMENT CITY COUNCIL AGENDA MEMORANDUM (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:HzWo-5OqbAEJ:epay.sanantonio.gov/archivedagendas/docsguest/7yh01!.PDF+%22Iron+Horse+Canyon+park%22&hl=en&ct=c lnk&cd=1&gl=us - broken link)

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,807 times
Here's the scoop from the Helotes City Counsel Meeting on Thursday, February 24, 2011:

That land was donated to the city by Mann because it is unsuitable for anything else. It has very steep inclines and drainage problems.

Helotes, however, has decided to turn it into a public frisbee gold course by applying for a grant from the Dept. of Wildlife and Parks and Recreation of Texas.

This is a bad idea because
1. There is not access to the land except through an existing lot in Iron Horse Canyon.
2. They will install PUBLIC TOILETS, CREATE A PARKING LOT, HOST A STATE TOURNAMENT, INSTALL LIGHTING all in your backyard.
3. The city also claims land that the Iron Horse Canyon HOA had planned to use for our own clubhouse and basketball court. The land is disputed.

There are many other problems too numerous to name here. Contact me for further information. I will be starting a petition drive and speaking to the Helotes City Counsel at their next meeting.

rebecca@scrapbooksjust4u.com

Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,807 times
Default Helotes City Council

Obviously, I can't spell today. COUNCIL......duh.......

Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Is it the property to the north or south of that address (14712 Iron Horse Way 78023)?

I don't think a public Frisbee golf course is such a good idea, some nice hiking trails would benefit both the local residents and other users much better. Plus, it would be less intrusive on the locals (other than parking, which might be an issue). There would be no need for lighting and such.

Still, I am curious as to why this showed up on San Antonio's web site when it clearly lies in the Helotes city limits?!?

Cheers! M2

p.s. You can't spell golf either ("gold")

Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,171,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Still, I am curious as to why this showed up on San Antonio's web site when it clearly lies in the Helotes city limits?!?
Because it was donated to San Antonio, similar to Rancho Diana park. Iron Horse is classified as an aquifer park. They (the city) would be quite restricted on developing surface area parking.

These properties are protected as preserve lands. Here is a link to something I found, both Iron Horse and Rancho Diana (off Menchaca) are listed:

http://cbnp.us/images-51/conservation-lands.pdf

IMO, the best thing the city can do is to give it to TPWD and let them incorporate the land into the Government Canyon SNA. I'm opposed to any kind of development on that land.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 02-26-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,079 times
Just to update: Iron Horse Canyon was one of the properties donated by the City of San Antonio to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission in Sept. 2009 for inclusion in the Government Canyon State Natural Area.

TPWD: News Release: Sept. 11, 2009: City of San Antonio Transfers Almost 3,000 Acres to Government Canyon=;

Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAinSA View Post
Just to update: Iron Horse Canyon was one of the properties donated by the City of San Antonio to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission in Sept. 2009 for inclusion in the Government Canyon State Natural Area.
Cool news, thanks for posting that!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,171,706 times
That's correct, but that's not the same property we were discussing here. The larger area of acreage you mentioned was given to TPWD 2 years prior in 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio