U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM

186 posts, read 305,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Like the newsletter. Very disappointed to see the BOD president stating that the assessments are way lower than he thinks they should be. Still too much fat in a $1.1+ million budget. Didn't see any mention of why they are continuing to budget $7,000 for telephones. Time Warner is advertising business class phone and internet for $39 per month. Even if we had 10 separate lines like that its still under $5,000...and I bet we don't need 10 phone lines and 10 internet lines.
I received my e-newsletter today...and frankly I believe it looks great. I also read every article and was very impressed and satisfied by Mr. Severs letter. I found no indicators in the letter that would give me an impression that he was less than totally up front, honest and detailed in his explanation of events, processes and procedures within the BOD. I also agree with his view regarding assessments. It costs $$ to maintain an Association and roughly $32 per month $385 per year isn't out of line. Personally if individuals don't want to pay for the amenities that we have access to...then maybe we need to close down the pools, quit maintaing the Sports Park, stop landscaping of public areas and get rid of the CC&R's and ARC. We could open the CC two days per week for 4 hours per day and get rid of all but one or two employees...one to take messages and one to clean the office and do the filing. On days that no one was in the office we could switch all calls to an answering service and run a backlog of calls to return. We could turn the rest of the CC into a storage area and quit renting it out for functions. And here's the really good part...after all of this has been accomplished we can drive through WC and stare at overgrown weeds in yards, admire the vehicles up on blocks in peoples driveways, and help our neighbors change the oil in their cars and dig a hole and dump it in the front yard. We can also have loosely organized graffitti judgings and give out awards to villages that best depict urban blight and inner city squalor. So...lets put a stop to all of this petty crap and bickering and do away with the HOA...and lets all do our part to turn WC into a junkyard. How about it...anybody want to take me up on these suggestions? C'mon people it would be fun to turn WC into a blighted part of the county! Think of all the $$ we can save if we do this...no employees, or obligations to pay assessments, no one leaving notices regarding the 4' weeds and grass in our yards...we could even park our RV's and tractor trailers on the streets and have junk car contests! So lets do away with assesments and do way with the HOA. Any takers?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM

23 posts, read 24,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
I received my e-newsletter today...and frankly I believe it looks great. I also read every article and was very impressed and satisfied by Mr. Severs letter. I found no indicators in the letter that would give me an impression that he was less than totally up front, honest and detailed in his explanation of events, processes and procedures within the BOD. I also agree with his view regarding assessments. It costs $$ to maintain an Association and roughly $32 per month $385 per year isn't out of line. Personally if individuals don't want to pay for the amenities that we have access to...then maybe we need to close down the pools, quit maintaing the Sports Park, stop landscaping of public areas and get rid of the CC&R's and ARC. We could open the CC two days per week for 4 hours per day and get rid of all but one or two employees...one to take messages and one to clean the office and do the filing. On days that no one was in the office we could switch all calls to an answering service and run a backlog of calls to return. We could turn the rest of the CC into a storage area and quit renting it out for functions. And here's the really good part...after all of this has been accomplished we can drive through WC and stare at overgrown weeds in yards, admire the vehicles up on blocks in peoples driveways, and help our neighbors change the oil in their cars and dig a hole and dump it in the front yard. We can also have loosely organized graffitti judgings and give out awards to villages that best depict urban blight and inner city squalor. So...lets put a stop to all of this petty crap and bickering and do away with the HOA...and lets all do our part to turn WC into a junkyard. How about it...anybody want to take me up on these suggestions? C'mon people it would be fun to turn WC into a blighted part of the county! Think of all the $$ we can save if we do this...no employees, or obligations to pay assessments, no one leaving notices regarding the 4' weeds and grass in our yards...we could even park our RV's and tractor trailers on the streets and have junk car contests! So lets do away with assesments and do way with the HOA. Any takers?
Well said my man...well said. Any takers??

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOA Watcher View Post
Well said my man...well said. Any takers??
Again, I ask why are people complaining? Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 01-14-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM

872 posts, read 1,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOA Watcher View Post
Umm, 22 full time and one part time. Not really following your point but I'm guessing your up there 8 hours everyday or maybe you're just a Monday morning quarterback?
22 full time in the office? Better count again. Monitors are not part time and their 20 hours per week is out on the streets. Maintenance is out on the streets.

CM
Asst CM
Admin x2
Rec Dir
Standards Coord

That's 6, what FT employees (in the office) are missing?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM

872 posts, read 1,634,219 times
Quote:
It costs $$ to maintain an Association and roughly $32 per month $385 per year isn't out of line. It does cost money but over $1.1 MILLION a year?

Personally if individuals don't want to pay for the amenities that we have access to...then maybe we need to close down the pools, quit maintaing the Sports Park, stop landscaping of public areas and get rid of the CC&R's and ARC. The pools seem to be a good thing, the Sports Park has benefits but partially looks like crap (look at the rotting and falling down cable fence in front of it for example), public area landscaping is minimal at best with weeds normally taller than yards where people get written up, the CC&R's are written and thus don't cost money to exist, the ARC is a volunteer group and thus don't cost money. Either way, there is way more money for these things than the result would suggest.

We could open the CC two days per week for 4 hours per day and get rid of all but one or two employees...one to take messages and one to clean the office and do the filing. How about we get rid of all the assistance or dual-hat some of the employees to fill those rolls? Why do we have a cleaning contract for $12,000 (double check that number) when the employees could clean their own offices once a week? Cleaning fees are paid when the CC is rented...or the renter cleans the room themselves.

On days that no one was in the office we could switch all calls to an answering service and run a backlog of calls to return. See above.

We could turn the rest of the CC into a storage area and quit renting it out for functions. Or we could lower the price to allow residents to actually have a benefit from their assessments instead of paying just as much as they would "out in town".

And here's the really good part...after all of this has been accomplished we can drive through WC and stare at overgrown weeds in yards, admire the vehicles up on blocks in peoples driveways, and help our neighbors change the oil in their cars and dig a hole and dump it in the front yard.
We can also have loosely organized graffitti judgings and give out awards to villages that best depict urban blight and inner city squalor. Speaking of petty bickering...

So...lets put a stop to all of this petty crap and bickering and do away with the HOA...and lets all do our part to turn WC into a junkyard. How about it...anybody want to take me up on these suggestions? C'mon people it would be fun to turn WC into a blighted part of the county! Think of all the $$ we can save if we do this...no employees, or obligations to pay assessments, no one leaving notices regarding the 4' weeds and grass in our yards...we could even park our RV's and tractor trailers on the streets and have junk car contests! So lets do away with assesments and do way with the HOA. Any takers? You are the only one who has suggested doing away with assessments. We just want to see some sensible spending instead of so much waste.

If 3,400 homes pay $284 in assessments, that is $965,600 income in assessments alone. Plus CC rental fees, SP rental fees, pool party rentals, interest income, rental income from houses "owned", rumage sale proceeds.... Seems like the income could easily be over the $1.1 million shown in the budget. This is why people get frustrated with the spending and with the assessment raises.

This endless resource mentality is exactly the attitude that our government at all levels wants to go by and is why we see so many shortfalls in budgets around the country.

You want to do project X then donate some extra funds of your own or come up with a fundraiser to generate those funds but stop shoving your money grabbing waste down the throats of people who don't want it and can't afford it!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,697,132 times
Quote:
22 full time in the office? Better count again. Monitors are not part time and their 20 hours per week is out on the streets. Maintenance is out on the streets.

CM
Asst CM
Admin x2
Rec Dir
Standards Coord

You forgot the "no show" jobs. 16 of those makes 22.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

CM
Asst CM
Admin x2
Rec Dir
Standards Coord

OMG!! I see sarcasm goes right over your head...loosen up a little. It loses its affect if I have to explain it (Just hoping nobody would count). You guys take this thread way to seriously, like it will really change something? Get involved in something tangible and maybe then, just maybe....

Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,354,452 times
Quote:
I sincerely feel that there is no VOWC Resident out there, whether they post here or not who wants to do away with the HOA. I sure as heck don't. I don't think that folks mind an increase in their assessments but there needs to be give and take.

Let's talk about me and I'm certain many of you will agree. 10 1/2 years ago we decided to move and to be frank there were many subdivisions that we looked at and quite a few were pricier. We selected the VOWC for several reasons including the Subdivision's overall curb appeal, quality of the homes, location, HOA, amenities (Our Son's were younger then so the Sports Park was for them).

Times changed, my Stepson moved out to attend College and now he own's a home. Our youngest Son rarely uses the Sports Park and when he does he plays basketball. Again it is rare. My Wife and I rarely if ever use the Sports park. The last time we did was the last Yard Sale. Before that ?????. I don't mind that my money allows young Children and Families to have access to a nice park. I don't mind that I sweat my butt off weekly during the summer to mow our yard while others are swimming in a pool that I have helped pay for and maintain. Folks can eat my Hot Dog or Burger at the Annual Picnic, I'll gladly give it up.

Although I may , no , although I do moan and groan I don't want for much nor do I really need anything. (except for my weekly Lowes fix) What I want is what drew us to the VOWC 10 plus years ago. One that I can drive into after a long day at work and feel proud as I travel down Military Drive or Westcreek Oaks and pull into The Hollow. I can do without seeing a poorly maintained Main Entrance, ratty Common Fences, weedy greenbelts, weedy flowerbeds /monuments, weedy yards, oil stained driveways, banged in Garage Doors, etc. I can do without a paid Standard's Monitor who strolls through The Hollow as if it is meant for exercise.

So to sum all this up I will continue to pay our dues but give us something in return. As I have said many many times, working for SAWS affords me the opportunity to travel the City and County on a daily basis (well 5 days). I have seen many comparable (I will compare apples to apples) Subdivisions with HOA's that do a hell of a lot more with a hell of a lot less.

Last edited by wellguy; 01-13-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,017,851 times
Some of ya'll are bunch of idiots.. Who is HOA Watcher? The rationale person amongst all of you is wellguy..And I think HOA Watcher is acutally GoingRoug or whatever his name was...Funny, havent' heard from him lately

I want to complain about the complainers!!

It's really simple folks, get in or get out or shut up!!!!

Last edited by RGJ; 01-13-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,354,452 times
Quote:
[/b]

If 3,400 homes pay $284 in assessments, that is $965,600 income in assessments alone. Plus CC rental fees, SP rental fees, pool party rentals, interest income, rental income from houses "owned", rumage sale proceeds.... Seems like the income could easily be over the $1.1 million shown in the budget. This is why people get frustrated with the spending and with the assessment raises.

This endless resource mentality is exactly the attitude that our government at all levels wants to go by and is why we see so many shortfalls in budgets around the country.

You want to do project X then donate some extra funds of your own or come up with a fundraiser to generate those funds but stop shoving your money grabbing waste down the throats of people who don't want it and can't afford it!
I hear exactly what you are saying. You hit the Nail on the Head when you said "This is why people get frustrated with the spending........."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio