Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Here's a look at the Sports Park yesterday from the bridge on Military.
Two creeks run through WC, Medio Creek at the Sports Park and Caracol Creek toward the front of WC. Did the flooding affect the Sports Park much?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 PM

872 posts, read 1,855,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Two creeks run through WC, Medio Creek at the Sports Park and Caracol Creek toward the front of WC. Did the flooding affect the Sports Park much?
The water was almost up to the pavilion at the Sports Park and a large part of the new parking area was swamped.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM

186 posts, read 345,248 times
My sources say that a few weeks ago they observed a makeshift causeway had been constructed across the creek bed behind the Sports Park. He said that it appeared to be a part of a foot path that was roughed in from the top of the hill ( the Reserve) to access the Sports Park. I would be interested in seeing if that is a contributory factor (man-made obstruction preventing/interfering with the natural run-off pattern of the creek) to the flooding in that area. Might be worth checking into when the water recedes.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,162 times
Hopefully that is not the case here. It is illegal for anyone to disturb the natural flow of a Creek, Stream, etc. without the permission of the San Antonio River Authority and TCEQ. This still applies to a dry Creek, Stream, etc. If anyone did obstruct / hinder the water flow then they (SARA and the TCEQ) would need to be contacted and that would /should /shall /must be done by the HOA Staff. Actually anyone could call but routing the calls to the Office would be best.

Speaking of The Reseve does anyone know why they pay another HOA type of fee? This has been mentioned here before.

Last edited by wellguy; 05-15-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
My sources say that a few weeks ago they observed a makeshift causeway had been constructed across the creek bed behind the Sports Park. He said that it appeared to be a part of a foot path that was roughed in from the top of the hill ( the Reserve) to access the Sports Park. I would be interested in seeing if that is a contributory factor (man-made obstruction preventing/interfering with the natural run-off pattern of the creek) to the flooding in that area. Might be worth checking into when the water recedes.
I saw some kids coming down that trail during the HOA-sponsored rummage sale last week and wondered where that came from.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 PM

23 posts, read 65,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
The makeshift causway consists of 7 - 8 large stones that have spaces between them to allow for water flow. They protrude maybe 2 feet from the normal water level in the creek. There is no way that they are the cause for any flooding.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpope22 View Post
The makeshift causway consists of 7 - 8 large stones that have spaces between them to allow for water flow. They protrude maybe 2 feet from the normal water level in the creek. There is no way that they are the cause for any flooding.

The flow is only as good as the cleanness (small branches, trash, etc) of the creek. It doesn't take much to slow or obstruct the flow of water.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 PM

80 posts, read 192,963 times
There is a pathway but the stones have spaces between each one. The water flows easily between each stone and could no way cause the flooding.

We do pay an additional HOA which takes care of lawn maintenance, sweeping of the streets, the signage, etc in our particular subdivision. If you drive through our subdivision you'll notice we have few to any unkept lawns or cars parked all over the street (unless they are construction vehicles) because notices are promptly given out for violations. One of my spouses' co-workers was written up for not mowing his grass and the violation was fixed within a few days. Prior to moving in we are told of the additional HOA fee so there are no surprises.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserve at WC View Post
There is a pathway but the stones have spaces between each one. The water flows easily between each stone and could no way cause the flooding.

We do pay an additional HOA which takes care of lawn maintenance, sweeping of the streets, the signage, etc in our particular subdivision. If you drive through our subdivision you'll notice we have few to any unkept lawns or cars parked all over the street (unless they are construction vehicles) because notices are promptly given out for violations. One of my spouses' co-workers was written up for not mowing his grass and the violation was fixed within a few days. Prior to moving in we are told of the additional HOA fee so there are no surprises.

Don't you already get the Lawn Maintenance services from the VOWC HOA? The County sweeps the streets for free and they also have a Code Compliance Dept. What about the signage? Do you mean Street Signs or Monument Signage or ???? Who takes care of the Fees you pay? Do you have your own Neighborhood BOD?

I don't mean to ask a lot of questions but I'm curious. I can remember several years ago when my Sister bought in an UPSCALE (Dominion Equivalent) California Subdivision which like WC had its' own HOA and BOD. She had to pay an extra fee (to the Builder) until the Subdivision was built out. If I remember correctly it was to insure that the area was immaculate at all times. There was no doubt that the Builder was looking out for his best interest. (He didn't want to or couldn't wait for the HOA to act) In that case it was all about sell, sell, sell ,which translates to $$$$$$

Last edited by wellguy; 05-15-2010 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 10:38 PM

18 posts, read 24,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Don't you already get the Lawn Maintenance services from the VOWC HOA? The County sweeps the streets for free and they also have a Code Compliance Dept. What about the signage? Do you mean Street Signs or Monument Signage or ???? Who takes care of the Fees you pay? Do you have your own Neighborhood BOD?

I don't mean to ask a lot of questions but I'm curious. I can remember several years ago when my Sister bought in an UPSCALE (Dominion Equivalent) California Subdivision which like WC had its' own HOA and BOD. She had to pay an extra fee (to the Builder) until the Subdivision was built out. If I remember correctly it was to insure that the area was immaculate at all times. There was no doubt that the Builder was looking out for his best interest. (He didn't want to or couldn't wait for the HOA to act) In that case it was all about sell, sell, sell ,which translates to $$$$$$

The Reserve has a sub HOA according to the BOD. When McMillen started building they ask for and paid for (lawyers fees) for a sub HOA. The folks in the Reserve must pay both association's assessments. They must also abide by the VWOA and their association's CC&Rs and Bylaws. I believe their association is managed by a management company. I understand but am not sure of their requirement that prohibits them from parking in the street. They may have more restrictive rules but not less restrictive than the parent association - VWOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio