U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 AM

797 posts, read 2,124,764 times

Advertisements

Paka I am surprised at your response to banning pitbulls. As far as I see it if you can own a gun you can own a pibull. It's up to the owner to be responsible and train/contain the animal period.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:45 PM

5,786 posts, read 9,005,275 times
Yea, but guns don't run loose hurting/maiming others. The ONLY way you will come up against a gun here is if you are breaking into property...not out for exercise or to enjoy the sportspark.

Again, the past several incidents of serious dog attacks both IN the home, and those that have been out and about in public have been this breed. Unfortunately, this breed has been bred to attack instinctively. I do not blame the dog, I do blame the owner...and hope that they are held as accountable as someone that went after someone without cause with a gun. If a pit bull (or any other dog) kills or mauls someone breaking into their home, God bless the animal!

Unfortunately, A 1999 City Journal article stated that "Pit bulls and pit-bull crosses (not always easy to distinguish) have caused more than a third of the nation's dog-bite fatalities since 1979 and a comparable proportion of serious injuries."

Last edited by Paka; 04-05-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,043,105 times
I agree with you 99.9% of the time Paka, but I cannot agree with you here. You are of course entitled to any opinion you want, but hopefully you will not sign that "petition" thing (I always put it in quotes because it is actually just a bunch of little pieces of paper in a basket).
The most dangerous thing in this neighborhood is a human. They are responsible for everything, including bringing in animals and neglecting them. I would much rather see a ban on groups of people such as alcoholics, drug addicts, sex offenders, convicted felons and the likes. These people are much more of a threat than a dog.
I know you are a big fan of personal responsibility and that is what I want to hold accountable here. The person that owned that particular pit bull is known and should be charged. They should also announce his name so the rest of the neighborhood can encourage him to be more responsible or move. That is the only solution to this problem. Also, what will they ban next? this is like trickle down from national-level politics here. Don't hold people responsible, instead make everone else suffer for the greed and stupidity of a few.
BTW, you will still get dogs roaming around the neighborhood because there are other neighborhoods attached to us and I know and you know that some of them are not exactly brimming with responsible people.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM

5,786 posts, read 9,005,275 times
Actually, I will not be signing the "petition" for Westcreek because I don't agree with the neighborhood making that decision....however enlight of the recent deaths in the city/county area, I would not be surprised to see it passed at one (or both of those) levels as a ban on this breed. Several cities have already done so, and it is only a matter of time before it is seen here as well. They are also banned (along with some other breeds) from base housing at military installations around the world.

I have taken notice and have changed my dog walking habits because of these attacks...I would die if anything happened to my fur baby as was described...

I sure hope this owner is sued and that is published...maybe it will give others thought about control of their animals.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 AM

good to hear it, however I doubt anyone will take action on it. I read the entire newsletter and got the impession that the neighborhood is being run by indecisive people that have no spine. I think it's time for a change that can actually help everyone (maybe that platform should've run last year?). My wife thinks I'm crazy, but someone needs to do something to the place. We have too much at stake to just sit around and let some goofballs run the show. Plus I have a feeling there is some rampant corruption when it comes to the budget. I think the management, lawyers, and consultants need to all hit the road. What exactly could a consultant do for the neighborhood anyhow? It's like they're trying to turn the place into a city government and importing all the corruption from the city..

Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM

3,060 posts, read 5,066,309 times
The consultant is only in place for the hiring of the new community manager and recreation director.

And the issues with the neighborhood have been brought up repeatedly - yet no one seems to show up to help or change things? Only at the annual meeting do some show, and only to complain that no one did anything for them. Where were they?

I've seen first hand the abuse the management and staff take from the residents, and it's ridiculous. It's a tough job, because we have a neighborhood filled with 1/8 people that care, and the rest is a mix of babies, snobs, busy bodies and those that couldn't be bothered. Look at the volunteer picture on the website. 14 people. Two of which are myself and my wife. We have some paid staff, sure, but it's necessary. C'mon, indecisive without spines?? It's a do/don't job - if you *do* something for a group, the rest get upset about unnecessary costs and whatnot. If you *don't* do something, the others get upset that their dues are being wasted. How can anyone win?

I know that I myself have been on this forum, a few others, I run other websites, I talk to plenty of homeowners and residents, and have asked folks to step up and at the very least help out, or maybe if they can run for board or even find work in Westcreek. My wife and I have run a business group (free) for the residents and businesses in Westcreek, and have asked them personally to take action, and we hardly get any response. I run into some folks here and there at events - good folks like Paka and her husband even come out to volunteer for events for the local kids, when theirs are grown! But the majority can't be bothered to do anything. Very frustrating.

At the last annual meeting, the accountant rep was there, with a report that was a year too late and an excuse why it was so. But you know what? I was there to say that late reports weren't ok. I was also there to pat Sandy on the back when the residents wanted to know why there wasn't MORE for them to do!!! One lady was upset that someone in her family applied for a lifeguard position several times and was denied. Sandy took the heat for that, even tho we just started hiring our own guards. But had she been paying attention, she would have known that. She complained about several things - but when asked "where were you" she didn't have an answer.

How many of the residents that visit the VWOA thread here have actually met? rd, you live 5 minutes from me, and we've never met in person. I've lived here since 2003.

I've considered running for the board, and so has my wife, but we sold our home last year and are currently renting. That is the ONLY reason I'm not on that board. Who supported Oktoberfest, or helped with the rummage sales, or the Easter events, swim team, soccer, Snacks with Santa? Who took advantage of the muscle toning classes, or enjoyed the pools, park, or courts? My wife and I have held classes at the community center, FREE to residents, FOR the residents. Any CoP members on here? If you see graffiti, do you report it? How long til it's gone? In my experience, usually the same day, if it's on WC property. I think we all need to take a step back and realize what we're asking, and what we're truly happy/unhappy about, and what we can do to make a difference - instead of constantly bashing the GOOD people that have to deal with all of this. There's change coming - the CM is gone, the rec director is gone, the assistant rec director is gone. Anyone interested in applying?

/soapbox

Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM

ok, point taken. I need to do more in person and less online..

Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 AM

3,060 posts, read 5,066,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ok, point taken. I need to do more in person and less online..
rd, sorry, that wasn't completely directed to you - I just get to hear lots of similar comments, and I guess it boiled over.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM

no, it's cool and was deserved. Action needs to be taken and I've been meaning to for a long time, but never got off my duff and did something. This dog thing is the straw that broke the camels back for me, though. Plus I still don't see how a lot of those costs in the budget can be valid.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 AM

173 posts, read 409,300 times
When is the next home owners meeting?
I have HAD IT with the ongoing decline of our neighborhood and I WILL start attending meetings to find out what the hell is going on around here! Several of my neighbors feel the same and plan on getting more involved too.
The crappy shape of fences, graffiti, unkept yards, people having garage sales (ignoring HOA policy!!!), loose dogs(no matter the breed), and POOR customer service at the HOA office are some of the straws breaking MY back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio