U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
Reputation: 937

Advertisements

It's ludicrous but that's how it is. I know someone who called EMS due to rapid heartbeat and they billed her $100.00 something dollars SIMPLY for checking her vitals for a mere 5 minutes, and off they went over 100 dollars richer.

Just beware that the minute you give them your ID and information, they have your address, so they know where to send the bill.

Moderator cut: inappropriate

Since you do have the bill now, keep in mind that you, in no way, have to pay a mininum payment every month. Feel free to pay only $1.00 every month online (they accept payments online) if that's all you can pay with your credit/debit card.

The name of the business that will handle your bill is: Business & Professional Services, in downtown San Antonio. The City of the San Antonio doesn't handle any payments; they contract through this company to handle all that for them.

I know of them because they are the exact same company that handles EMS bills for the City of San Antonio AND bills for emergency room visits for some of the hospitals in San Antonio.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Reputation: 2505
If you have health insurance, just send back the invoice stub with the medical insurance information on it. It's pretty much an automatic thing. My mother in law got a bill and she has medicaid so we filled out the form with her medicaid info and sent it back.
I believe the fire department only bills you if you cross over a flood zone and need to be rescued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
680 posts, read 1,547,817 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
It's ludicrous but that's how it is. I know someone who called EMS due to rapid heartbeat and they billed her $100.00 something dollars SIMPLY for checking her vitals for a mere 5 minutes, and off they went over 100 dollars richer.

Just beware that the minute you give them your ID and information, they have your address, so they know where to send the bill.

Moderator cut: inappropriate
Since you do have the bill now, keep in mind that you, in no way, have to pay a mininum payment every month. Feel free to pay only $1.00 every month online (they accept payments online) if that's all you can pay with your credit/debit card.

The name of the business that will handle your bill is: Business & Professional Services, in downtown San Antonio. The City of the San Antonio doesn't handle any payments; they contract through this company to handle all that for them.

I know of them because they are the exact same company that handles EMS bills for the City of San Antonio AND bills for emergency room visits for some of the hospitals in San Antonio.
Our health care system is a mess! I will be the first to say that. But you get a team of EMT's coming to your home on the double - they have all the equipment and training to take care of you, no matter what they find, expect to pay them for it! Even a physician's office visit would easily cost you $100. And if you think the EMTs are getting all that $100, think again.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-15-2012 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Reputation: 6342
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
It's ludicrous but that's how it is. I know someone who called EMS due to rapid heartbeat and they billed her $100.00 something dollars SIMPLY for checking her vitals for a mere 5 minutes, and off they went over 100 dollars richer.
REALLY?

How much does the ambulance cost that they drove over to check her freakin' heartrate? How many motorists were forced to yield (and how many potential accidents were there) because someone couldn't be bothered to go to the doctor's office?!???

Did they get there magically via warp? Did they return to their station the same way? Let me see....2 men....10 minutes there, 15 minutes on site (no matter what you say, there's no way they were in and out in 5 minutes - and even 15 would be fast), 10 minutes back to station. Process the call paperwork back at the station, replenish truck of any supplies used - they tied up at least an hour for 2 men - on a non-emergency call.....and you call $100 "getting rich"?!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 PM
 
211 posts, read 425,776 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
If you have health insurance, just send back the invoice stub with the medical insurance information on it. It's pretty much an automatic thing. My mother in law got a bill and she has medicaid so we filled out the form with her medicaid info and sent it back.
I believe the fire department only bills you if you cross over a flood zone and need to be rescued.
I tried this (EMS with no ride) and my brother-in-law (EMS call with ride) has tried this. Both of us have United Health Care. Both were denied. Both times they said you have to be admitted for it to be covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX (78201)
604 posts, read 1,667,949 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Wife called EMS a few weeks ago and they took her vitals and then promptly left. Why do they send me a bill? If I called the Fire Department because of a fire would they also send me a bill? If I called the Police because someone was breaking in, would they send me a bill as well?
because the government (and likewise your taxes) don't pay for medical expenses
I think we tried to do something about that 3 years ago....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Ohio
3,441 posts, read 5,168,892 times
Reputation: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
I tried this (EMS with no ride) and my brother-in-law (EMS call with ride) has tried this. Both of us have United Health Care. Both were denied. Both times they said you have to be admitted for it to be covered.

I guess that cuts down on the people that call to get their heart rate and blood pressure taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 2,304,915 times
Reputation: 3375
Wonder if they will come out and clip my toenails......

Most ambulance services that I know of are privately owned.....the city and your tax dollars have nothing to do with it.

I did have a little fun with the ambulance service that took me to the hospital a few years ago when I wrecked my motorcycle . They charged my $580.00 for a ride to the hospital....when I got the bill, I told them I don't recall riding in an ambulance. They explained that I was probably on a Morphine drip and don't remember much. Well, I said, I'm not going to pay for a ride that I don't remember taking! They saw it differently. Some people have no sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
I tried this (EMS with no ride) and my brother-in-law (EMS call with ride) has tried this. Both of us have United Health Care. Both were denied. Both times they said you have to be admitted for it to be covered.
You can appeal with your insurance if you feel you have a good case.
Why call the ambulance though if there's a strong possibility that the individual will not have to be admitted? In the future, I'd recommend going to an urgent care clinic first if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
Reputation: 18705
I think it is time that we ALL realize that IF there is a true emergency, we want to know you CAN call EMS and get some medical attention when minutes count and could make the difference between life and death...and without paying for the transportation, EMT's, gas it takes to get there, insurance, repairs, etc...there would be NO ONE to call if there was an emergency.

Keep in mind how many stories have been in the news about fools calling 911 to complain that someone got their burger order wrong at a drive thru.....

Yes, I AM a nurse and truly believe that maybe 1 out of every 5 calls to EMS are not actually necessary, but could have been handled proactively vs reactively in a medical situation. It is like whining that you sat in the emergency room for hours complaining of something you have been suffering from for days....DUH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top