U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM

1,847 posts, read 4,087,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yeah, lets forget the fact that trained medical personnel with all the equipment needed for emergency life support came to your house within minutes and transported your son to the hospital in a vehicle that could sustain his life...

Oh those greedy people
I understand that they provided a necessary service. I suppose I am more frustrated that my insurance didn't cover it all. We always (as a society) pay more than we think. Ambulance ride, anesthesia, etc.

I pay thousands a year in insurance.

Don't take my post the wrong way, I am thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,878,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
And you need to pay for services rendered.
Yes, no one works for free.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,878,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Our health care system is a mess! I will be the first to say that. But you get a team of EMT's coming to your home on the double - they have all the equipment and training to take care of you, no matter what they find, expect to pay them for it! Even a physician's office visit would easily cost you $100. And if you think the EMTs are getting all that $100, think again.
Agreed! Why do people just expect this service for free??

Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 25,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
they are seen faster in that they don't have to sit and wait in the waiting room for hours. They are taken to the back where the treatment happens when they are brought in by ambulance. I know that from experience.
Given your experience, you then understand how a triage system works within the hospital setting. (..."don't have to sit and wait in the waiting room for hours...") I will respectfully disagree.

Although you will be brought directly to the intake / Nurse's station, it is at this point that your overall presentation and medical urgency will be gauged and even compared to the medical complaints of others waiting in the ER. Sure there are exceptions that can take place (empty ER waiting room, medical presentation which deems direct patient care, etc) which results in immediate care when brought in by an ambulance. However, a standard process that equates automatic care by a doctor so as to bypass the waiting room, simply because you had an ambulance bring you in, is non-existent.

If a patient has a medical complaint and wishes to be seen rapidly by a doctor in the ER for treatment and calls EMS just so they don't have to wait is ridiculous. If that patient's vitals are stable (non-life threatening) then that person should expect to be directed to the waiting room. Heaven forbid that a real emergency arises and an ambulance is not available because someone couldn't be bothered to "wait".

Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM

391 posts, read 588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Agreed! Why do people just expect this service for free??
It happens for free up in Canada thanks to socialized medical care.

But...

- payment for the services is hidden in the form of taxes which is higher in Canada
to pay for the universal coverage.

- every Canadian citizen qualifies for medical care regardless of their financial or
employment status.

My mom lives in Canada. Several years ago she had an EMS trip to the hospital
and hip surgery for a broken hip. No bill, no insurance company to deal with.

Recently she had surgery to remove a small breast lump and is currently undergoing
radiation. Again... no bill, no insurance company to deal with. All paid for and taken
care of by the government.

Move to Canada... where you an expect higher taxes but medical services for free.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM

1,847 posts, read 4,087,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
Move to Canada... where you an expect higher taxes but medical services for free.
No such thing as a free lunch, eh?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,425,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
It happens for free up in Canada thanks to socialized medical care.

But...

- payment for the services is hidden in the form of taxes which is higher in Canada
to pay for the universal coverage.

- every Canadian citizen qualifies for medical care regardless of their financial or
employment status.

My mom lives in Canada. Several years ago she had an EMS trip to the hospital
and hip surgery for a broken hip. No bill, no insurance company to deal with.

Recently she had surgery to remove a small breast lump and is currently undergoing
radiation. Again... no bill, no insurance company to deal with. All paid for and taken
care of by the government.

You failed to mention that under the *wonderful* Canadian system some people die while waiting for their turn to come up for surgery......

Not to mention: (article is a couple of years old)...

Quote:
The average wait time for a Canadian awaiting surgery or other medical treatment is now 18.3 weeks, a new high

"Canadians wait longer than Americans, Germans, and Swedes for cardiac care, although not as long as New Zealanders or the British," it reads. "Economists attempting to quantify the cost of this waiting time have estimated it to amount to $1,100 to $5,600 annually per patient."
Wait times for surgery, medical treatments at all-time high: report - Health - CBC News

Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM

993 posts, read 2,194,923 times
My wife had ulcerative colitis, and then had the surgery to remove her colon, and now the doctor is saying she has Crohn's, so she is just having a rough time of all of this.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:08 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,384,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I understand that they provided a necessary service. I suppose I am more frustrated that my insurance didn't cover it all. We always (as a society) pay more than we think. Ambulance ride, anesthesia, etc.

I pay thousands a year in insurance.

Don't take my post the wrong way, I am thankful.
I think it important here for ANYONE that calls EMS to understand that the vehicle, personnel and equipment NEEDED to keep someone alive is being "called upon" regardless of YOUR particular level of need should be considered.....EMS is a "LIFE SAVING" call that we can expect to respond when minutes count.....NOT a taxi service to a Dr Apt for those without transportation......TRUST ME....in these days of budget cutting and financial needs...if you are NOT willing to pay for it, you will soon be WITHOUT IT!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM

680 posts, read 1,552,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
My wife had ulcerative colitis, and then had the surgery to remove her colon, and now the doctor is saying she has Crohn's, so she is just having a rough time of all of this.
I hope she starts feeling better soon, I'm sure that has been a difficult adjustment for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio