U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 PM

490 posts, read 970,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I still haven't seen an answer to my earlier inquiry, as to whether San Antonio is the exception in charging fees for emergency medical services, compared to other cities and communities across the country.

That's unusual. Most insurance picks up the tab for emergency transportation to the hospital, or at least pays most of it.
Austin, Dallas & Houston all charge similar fees for EMS services. I would suspect the rest of the country is the same.

EMS is abused by many and also used chronically by few, some who need it, some who don't. It makes sense to allocate the cost to the user. I would suspect the fees recovered under this patient billing only cover a small portion of the total cost, the rest of which goes to the taxpayer.

Someone mentioned fire department, I do believe there is a billing procedure for certain SAFD responses, including Hazmat incidents.

On the insurance side, it may be the OP is on a high deductible plan or similar, where the amount "covered" by insurance reflects only a negotiated discount up until a deductible has been hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,190,965 times
Newk, don't know if you've found a doctor but if you haven't, my mom sees Dr. Jocelyn Theard for Crohn's and LOVES her.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM

993 posts, read 2,193,412 times
PM'd

Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM

We called EMS again. This time for bowel perforation. Bill before insurance kicks in: $673. I wanted to drive her myself, but she literally couldn't move.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,873,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Wife called EMS a few weeks ago and they took her vitals and then promptly left. Why do they send me a bill? If I called the Fire Department because of a fire would they also send me a bill? If I called the Police because someone was breaking in, would they send me a bill as well?
Everyone wants money. If the fire department uses it's tools to take you out of your car, you will be billed. I am shocked they don't charge for the gallons if water used to quench a fire

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Everyone wants money. If the fire department uses it's tools to take you out of your car, you will be billed. I am shocked they don't charge for the gallons if water used to quench a fire
Listen to Adam Carolla's podcast, he has a lot to say about this topic and other city services.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,873,079 times
I wonder what would happen if I just refuse to ride the EMS, and I refuse to be treated by them. For example I get a broke leg in accident, I record me telling them to not treat me because I don't have money , and my wife is gonna come and take me to hospital.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if I just refuse to ride the EMS, and I refuse to be treated by them. For example I get a broke leg in accident, I record me telling them to not treat me because I don't have money , and my wife is gonna come and take me to hospital.
You wouldn't get a bill. What you describe is the equivalent of going into a restaurant and not ordering.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:15 AM

266 posts, read 495,268 times
Quote:
Stop wondering. You will still get a bill.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM

12,779 posts, read 28,795,683 times
Quote:
You wouldn't get a bill. What you describe is the equivalent of going into a restaurant and not ordering.
Depends on whether you called them or not. It is more like going into a restaurant, ordering, then refusing the food when it got there - you will get charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio