Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
In Austin it is $800 and if you aren't transported your insurance likely won't pay it. Make sure it's a real emergency before calling them.

An automatic blood pressure cuff can be bought at the drug store for ~$50.00. It's a whole lot cheaper.

Unless you can't breathe, are bleeding profusely, having chest pain, or unconscious don't call them. Go to the ER yourself.
You will usually get faster care when you get to the hospital if you come in an EMS type service because you were already triaged by the ambulance crew, but "chest pains" always jump to the front of the line in either case.

But I do agree, unless it is really serious, or have no other way, always drive there instead of calling EMS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
I guess what still has me shaking my head is why someone would question getting an EMS bill......guess too many folks are becoming WAY too used to "Uncle Sugar" taking care of us. What they forget is that everyone else ends up paying that bill - which in an emergency, I'm okay with - but it's WAY too abused IMO.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
After reading through this thread all I come away with is why didn't wife call husband and have him take her to one of the numerous Med clinics here?

EMS being called to take vitals? LMAO....

One uses EMERGENCY medical services and then whines they have to pay?

Excuse my French but that takes balls.....

I had to utilize EMS services a couple of years ago and got a bill for $575.00... I paid it without batting an eye. Why? Because they were there in under 10 minutes, were trained medical personnel and saved my life. All I can say is I thank my lucky stars they weren't at someones home taking someones blood pressure and heart beat when they were really needed....

Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
After reading through this thread all I come away with is why didn't wife call husband and have him take her to one of the numerous Med clinics here?

EMS being called to take vitals? LMAO....

One uses EMERGENCY medical services and then whines they have to pay?

Excuse my French but that takes balls.....

I had to utilize EMS services a couple of years ago and got a bill for $575.00... I paid it without batting an eye. Why? Because they were there in under 10 minutes, were trained medical personnel and saved my life. All I can say is I thank my lucky stars they weren't at someones home taking someones blood pressure and heart beat when they were really needed....
To be fair, we dont know why they called EMS. I imagine they felt they were having a medical emergency, called EMS, and when they got there they assessed the situation by taking vitals, determined there was no emergency and left.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
To be fair, we dont know why they called EMS. I imagine they felt they were having a medical emergency, called EMS, and when they got there they assessed the situation by taking vitals, determined there was no emergency and left.

.....and that's fine - just don't gripe over a $100 bill.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:06 AM

16 posts, read 28,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You will usually get faster care when you get to the hospital if you come in an EMS type service because you were already triaged by the ambulance crew,....

I may be reading this the wrong way and I hope no offense is taken. There seems to be a widespread misconception as it relates to EMS and how quickly a person will be seen in the ER by a doctor. EMS transport does not equal "faster care" within the hospital system. Individuals that call EMS simply because they believe they will "get seen by the doctor faster" are mistaken as they are still subject to the individual hospital's triage system and consequently may or may not be seen any faster than if they had driven there themselves. Sure the EMS personnel will assess the patient and upon arrival at the hospital (if deemed emergent enough to be seen immediately by a doctor) the information obtained will be passed on and in this manner will help to facilitate the treatment of the patient. However, to believe that simply by being dropped off at the hospital by ambulance you will automatically be seen faster and have a faster arrival and departure turn-around time is simply not true. For example: If two individuals came into the ER for a paper-cut; one in their own vehicle and the other via an ambulance, the person brought by ambulance isn't automatically going to be seen faster. Upon arriving at the hospital, the information obtained by the paramedics will be passed on to the ER staff but this person might be directed to the waiting room and end up sitting right next to the person who came in their own vehicle. As stated (chest pain, etc) will obviously be seen first but seeing as how any service has limited resources, if everyone decided to call EMS so as to get seen "faster" then those resources would constantly be exhausted and therefore potentially unavailable to other medical emergencies.

When calling any EMS system, the goal of the paramedics is to stabilize the patient's condition, administer advanced pre-hospital care and then transport for definitive care by a physician, in a hospital. Unfortunately, individuals substitute EMS/ ER services for treatment and care that should be obtained by establishing and maintaining a relationship with a primary care doctor (e.g., monitoring vitals, obtaining prescriptions, etc.) Which speaks to the other side of the time problem as emergency rooms are flooded with non-emergency patients that would be better serviced outside of the hospital setting.

I agree that when a person has a medical "scare" and deems their situation as "life threatening" then they should call 911. I also agree that a person utilizing this service, just like any other service, should expect that there will be a fee associated with it.

I have to say, this was a great topic and I can somewhat understand why the OP would be somewhat confused about the billing aspect. Sorry about the long post....just my two cents on the subject.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker Stand View Post
I may be reading this the wrong way and I hope no offense is taken. There seems to be a widespread misconception as it relates to EMS and how quickly a person will be seen in the ER by a doctor. EMS transport does not equal "faster care" within the hospital system. Individuals that call EMS simply because they believe they will "get seen by the doctor faster" are mistaken as they are still subject to the individual hospital's triage system and consequently may or may not be seen any faster than if they had driven there themselves. Sure the EMS personnel will assess the patient and upon arrival at the hospital (if deemed emergent enough to be seen immediately by a doctor) the information obtained will be passed on and in this manner will help to facilitate the treatment of the patient. However, to believe that simply by being dropped off at the hospital by ambulance you will automatically be seen faster and have a faster arrival and departure turn-around time is simply not true. For example: If two individuals came into the ER for a paper-cut; one in their own vehicle and the other via an ambulance, the person brought by ambulance isn't automatically going to be seen faster. Upon arriving at the hospital, the information obtained by the paramedics will be passed on to the ER staff but this person might be directed to the waiting room and end up sitting right next to the person who came in their own vehicle. As stated (chest pain, etc) will obviously be seen first but seeing as how any service has limited resources, if everyone decided to call EMS so as to get seen "faster" then those resources would constantly be exhausted and therefore potentially unavailable to other medical emergencies.

When calling any EMS system, the goal of the paramedics is to stabilize the patient's condition, administer advanced pre-hospital care and then transport for definitive care by a physician, in a hospital. Unfortunately, individuals substitute EMS/ ER services for treatment and care that should be obtained by establishing and maintaining a relationship with a primary care doctor (e.g., monitoring vitals, obtaining prescriptions, etc.) Which speaks to the other side of the time problem as emergency rooms are flooded with non-emergency patients that would be better serviced outside of the hospital setting.

I agree that when a person has a medical "scare" and deems their situation as "life threatening" then they should call 911. I also agree that a person utilizing this service, just like any other service, should expect that there will be a fee associated with it.

I have to say, this was a great topic and I can somewhat understand why the OP would be somewhat confused about the billing aspect. Sorry about the long post....just my two cents on the subject.
they are seen faster in that they don't have to sit and wait in the waiting room for hours. They are taken to the back where the treatment happens when they are brought in by ambulance. I know that from experience.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
they are seen faster in that they don't have to sit and wait in the waiting room for hours. They are taken to the back where the treatment happens when they are brought in by ambulance. I know that from experience.
Not always.
Recently, my elderly parents were visiting for a week. The entire time they were at my house, my dad complained of pain from a bladder infection. He had just finished a course of treatment for the infection and insisted he was okay. He refused to allow me to take him to see my doctor, or a minor emergency clinic or even the VA (were he receives his usual medical treatment in Dallas). The morning we were leaving to drive them back to Dallas, he woke in severe pain and could not stand up, and demanded that I call an ambulance. He wouldn't allow me to drive him anywhere. He insisted that they instructed him he should always come by ambulance in order to get quicker treatment. I could have had him from my house to the VA hospital in about 20-25 minutes in morning traffic.

I called 911. They questioned his symptoms. Was he conscious, breathing, bleeding, chest pains, etc? I think they determined over the phone that it was not life threatening, so they didn't rush to get there. It was during morning rush hour, through school zones, etc. By the time the ambulance got there, did their initial evaluation, etc and got him loaded in the ambulance it was more than 30 minutes. Once they loaded him, I got in my car and left, to meet them at the hospital. They were still sitting in front of my house when I drove away. I beat them to the hospital by about 10-15 minutes. When they finally arrived, the hospital staff took his info at the desk and left him in the waiting room with all the walk in patients. If he had just allowed me to drive him to the hospital, he could have been there at least 30 minutes earlier. I didn't receive the bill for it, so I'm not sure how much it cost, but I know it wasn't cheap. It didn't get him seen any faster at the hospital. A man that walked in on his own, just ahead of my dad being wheeled in, was seen before my dad. All his ambulance ride did was cost the taxpayers money, because it was all billed through the VA, medicare or whatever.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
My son had a seizure (second one in two years). They came and took his vitals then took him to the hospital. Now I get a bill that shows that insurance paid about $275 of the bill and I owe the remainder (which is about $250). It seems a little outrageous for them to charge $525 to take someone to the hospital.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
My son had a seizure (second one in two years). They came and took his vitals then took him to the hospital. Now I get a bill that shows that insurance paid about $275 of the bill and I owe the remainder (which is about $250). It seems a little outrageous for them to charge $525 to take someone to the hospital.
Yeah, lets forget the fact that trained medical personnel with all the equipment needed for emergency life support came to your house within minutes diagnosed a possible life threatening situation and transported your son to the hospital in a vehicle that could sustain his life...

Oh those greedy people

I guess next time you'll just call a cab or take him to the hospital yourself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio