U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM

211 posts, read 425,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
It does seem like the word "ghetto" is used to label areas of certain % ethnic makeups or less high-income areas. Get rid of that word, people, and say what you're REALLY thinking!
Bingo! I feel the same.

Sent from the secret mobile dojo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,319,047 times
^I have battled with certain people on CD on this subject. It has become part of our vernacular, and people *giggle* whenever they use the term. It is used to lable certain ethnic makeups in areas of a city. duh. It is racist people!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

413 posts, read 652,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
It does seem like the word "ghetto" is used to label areas of certain % ethnic makeups or less high-income areas. Get rid of that word, people, and say what you're REALLY thinking!
Go look up ghetto in the dictionary. It is exactly what you are telling people not to use it for. A ghetto in San Antonio would be an area that is predominantly Mexican and poor, or black and poor, or white and poor.

I'm truly amazed at the number of people on here that don't have a basic understanding of common words in the English language.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,668,208 times
^^approves of this statement^^

Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 PM

193 posts, read 294,762 times
This entire thread is pretty pathetic.

SA crime is pretty low level, do some of you really have expectations that high? That's great. But this isn't as big as a deal as some of you make it to be.

Graffitti in SA is just kids running around causing trouble pretending to be cool, not much gang related.
I have never been scared in SA around all of Culebra from downtown to 1604.

In Houston, 2nd or 3rd ward..I have been, seen gun shots. In Detroit, Scary place, seen robberies live. in LA, yes.. cocaine being sold on the street in broad daylingt in all of those places.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 AM

413 posts, read 652,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post
SA crime is pretty low level, do some of you really have expectations that high? That's great. But this isn't as big as a deal as some of you make it to be.
Violent crime is pretty low in San Antonio. If you're not in a gang or selling drugs, you're probably safe. That being said, property crime is extremely high, even in very nice areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post
I have never been scared in SA around all of Culebra from downtown to 1604.
That's a pretty horrible measure of quality of life. The point is that if one has any amount of money, choosing to live near Culebra is a bad decision when houses/rents in much better areas are not that much more expensive.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM

852 posts, read 925,547 times
We're far from poor and we live near Culebra in Alamo Ranch and love it.. Not sure where the down with Culebra comments are coming from. We've had no issues at all

Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,844,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
We're far from poor and we live near Culebra in Alamo Ranch and love it.. Not sure where the down with Culebra comments are coming from. We've had no issues at all
Culebra is a long road and runs through many less to be desired areas. That being said anywhere aroung 1604 is not one of those areas.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM

501 posts, read 837,366 times
1604 at Culebra is quite safe and has quickly developed in the last 7 years.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM

169 posts, read 251,721 times
I live in MD 5 miles from the White House. I lived in SA when I was younger and went to South San HS before moving here. I was just down in SA visiting my brother who lives miles north of that intersection. I found this thread to be entertaining and humorous as I thought the whole area from 1604 and points north were nice. You can barely see the lights of town from the pool atop his canyon at night and he has no neighbors for miles.
I got a kick from the housing prices being tossed around. Come north for a shocker. Your crime statistics are paltry as well. Google the crime stats for the DC area and be glad you are there. If graffiti is your main complaint you are lucky. I enjoyed my brief visit but you gotta go home. If you want to see ghetto I can show you something that would scare you to death.
I wish I owned a Taco Cabana and Pirate's Cove franchises up here as I could make a killing.
Consider yourselves lucky - hot, but lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or