U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

332 posts, read 463,191 times

Advertisements

crime is everywhere. this is a fact you cannot escape.

however,

you will encounter more crime on that side of town.

just my $0.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
I have lived in the Alamo Ranch area since 2005. Before it became "Alamo Ranch" the neighborhood I lived in was great when it was first built but now it isn't so much (Bridgewood). Since then I have moved and traveled around the states and came back. I have been back here for 6 months, and have worked at a (2 months ago) restaurant located in Alamo Ranch that was broken into and the T.V was stolen. My boyfriend has had his car broken into during the day (2 weeks ago). His window smashed, backpack full of college books stolen and his after-market radio ripped out of the dashboard. I worked at the (3 years ago) Target in Alamo Ranch as well and a woman was robbed in our parking lot and dragged by her purse when she wouldn't let it go. I did hear on the news that someone was robbed at gun point in the bathroom of the HEB on 1604 and Culebra (about 6 months ago). I like this area, but I agree that it will turn bad in a matter of a year or so. It always does. I have already seen tagging on and around businesses. I use to like this area because it didn't have much to offer and when it developed it was great to have these places around. There is always traffic and the stores are always busy no matter what time it seems. I do feel safe, to an extent, but It's definitely appearing to be going a bit down hill. There is and there always will be that bad crowd that ruins it for us all, in any area.

Although I have stated this, I do know many many people who love San Antonio, and many people who moved out of the city, but always returned. It is diverse, there are many things to do, and I think the city is still growing. Unfortunately, every city has its rats, and they will always lower the value of an area.

One place I say stay away from is the Wal-mart in this area. Every time I go I feel unsafe and have even been followed. I cannot stand to go in that place and I wish it was out of this area because I feel it brings in a bad crowd. Not to say bad people shop at Wal-Mart, but they seem to gather at this 24 hour grocery store.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM

852 posts, read 930,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
This is one of my favorite quotes of all time. If some dirt bag invades your home, let em have it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRS View Post
I have lived in the Alamo Ranch area since 2005. Before it became "Alamo Ranch" the neighborhood I lived in was great when it was first built but now it isn't so much (Bridgewood). Since then I have moved and traveled around the states and came back. I have been back here for 6 months, and have worked at a (2 months ago) restaurant located in Alamo Ranch that was broken into and the T.V was stolen. My boyfriend has had his car broken into during the day (2 weeks ago). His window smashed, backpack full of college books stolen and his after-market radio ripped out of the dashboard. I worked at the (3 years ago) Target in Alamo Ranch as well and a woman was robbed in our parking lot and dragged by her purse when she wouldn't let it go. I did hear on the news that someone was robbed at gun point in the bathroom of the HEB on 1604 and Culebra (about 6 months ago). I like this area, but I agree that it will turn bad in a matter of a year or so. It always does. I have already seen tagging on and around businesses. I use to like this area because it didn't have much to offer and when it developed it was great to have these places around. There is always traffic and the stores are always busy no matter what time it seems. I do feel safe, to an extent, but It's definitely appearing to be going a bit down hill. There is and there always will be that bad crowd that ruins it for us all, in any area.

Although I have stated this, I do know many many people who love San Antonio, and many people who moved out of the city, but always returned. It is diverse, there are many things to do, and I think the city is still growing. Unfortunately, every city has its rats, and they will always lower the value of an area.

One place I say stay away from is the Wal-mart in this area. Every time I go I feel unsafe and have even been followed. I cannot stand to go in that place and I wish it was out of this area because I feel it brings in a bad crowd. Not to say bad people shop at Wal-Mart, but they seem to gather at this 24 hour grocery store.
This is an old thread but since you Posted, thought I'd chime in. I live in Alamo Ranch and love it. We've had no issues what so ever. We feel completely safe and secure. We looked at other areas before we bought but none of them offered the aminities that we enjoy except the AR area. We love it!!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,918,357 times
Quote:

There is no need to call any segment of our population rats especially since all segments visit this site or their families. Even if someone feels "so and so group" is a <insert insult> there is no need to post that here.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,446,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
There is no need to call any segment of our population rats especially since all segments visit this site or their families. Even if someone feels "so and so group" is a <insert insult> there is no need to post that here.
I can think of worse names for those who steal, or cause harm to others. I think "rat" was a nice way to put it.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,381,420 times
Have lived AR and before that Westcreek (neighbors really) for years now....would NOT want to live anywhere else in SA. The ONLY thing we are lacking is a Sam's/Costco and Trader Joes. Once those two move into the area, you will be WISHING you had already bought!!!!!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM

381 posts, read 664,968 times
Afraid to go to wallmart at Alamo Ranch? I go there all the time to get my groceries and have never felt unsafe. Even with the family. I do keep an eye out for trouble, but I'm not PARANOID either.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM

340 posts, read 503,205 times
Quote:

First off, aside from your boyfriend having his car broken into (which is quite preventable by not living valuable items in plain sight), what you've listed seems like random isolated incidents that can occur in any highly populated area in any city. That HEB bathroom robbery occurred in December of 2011, not six months ago. Also, that story seemed fishy to begin with. It's a bit odd that the guy just so happen to be counting his money that he was going to send in a money order, coincidentally this is being as a "black" man with two pistols hasn't to also be in the bathroom. Talk about a crime of oppirtunity. I call a made up story on that one.

Nevertheless, alamo ranch is quite safe and aside from data and statistics probing such, I have friends out there and neve once have felt unsafe anywhere.

I doubt anyone would say the galleria mall in houston is unsafe but there, people get mugged and robbed on a regular basis. There was appoint where it was common for thieves to scout for single women who parked in a garage an went shopping. The thief would hide under the car until the woman returned. The thief would hen grab the woman's feet and trip here ten rob her at gun point.

It's crazy, it's sad, it's pathetic, but it happens even in safe, nice areas.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,381,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
First off, aside from your boyfriend having his car broken into (which is quite preventable by not living valuable items in plain sight), what you've listed seems like random isolated incidents that can occur in any highly populated area in any city. That HEB bathroom robbery occurred in December of 2011, not six months ago. Also, that story seemed fishy to begin with. It's a bit odd that the guy just so happen to be counting his money that he was going to send in a money order, coincidentally this is being as a "black" man with two pistols hasn't to also be in the bathroom. Talk about a crime of oppirtunity. I call a made up story on that one.

Nevertheless, alamo ranch is quite safe and aside from data and statistics probing such, I have friends out there and neve once have felt unsafe anywhere.

I doubt anyone would say the galleria mall in houston is unsafe but there, people get mugged and robbed on a regular basis. There was appoint where it was common for thieves to scout for single women who parked in a garage an went shopping. The thief would hide under the car until the woman returned. The thief would hen grab the woman's feet and trip here ten rob her at gun point.

It's crazy, it's sad, it's pathetic, but it happens even in safe, nice areas.
Biggest "threat" to AR ranch residents IMHO is speeding tickets and car accidents.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,353 times
Bumping this up because we are now in the same position as the original poster -- planning to buy in Alamo Ranch. I will say right up front that we are also planning to build with Centex. I know they are the low end but with three small children our priority right now is not a fancy house (not that there's anything wrong with a fancy house-- someday I might even own one, but right now we a re a one-income family so I can stay at home). We have weighed the pros and cons and Centex seems to be good enough. Not the best, but good enough.

So, I would welcome any current thoughts or feedback about Alamo Ranch generally and Centex specifically. Also, we definitely plan to hire a private inspector, so I'd also really appreciate specific recommendations about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or