U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:21 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,742,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratesofhealth View Post
What do you think of Culebra and Callagham area? I'm thinking of moving to San Antonio from California and found some homes that are very affordable near there.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 9,769 times
For texas7: Del Webb Hill Country Retreat is perfectly fine. It's a gated community. I think they actually have guards at the main entrance but I'm not sure about that. They have a very nice, large clubhouse and pool with organized activities and clubs. I feel safe in the general area. Lots of people are moving in to the general area and traffic can be a problem depending on your schedule and where you have to be. Hope that helps.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:41 PM

12 posts, read 9,769 times
Quote:
What do you think of Culebra and Callagham area? I'm thinking of moving to San Antonio from California and found some homes that are very affordable near there.
It's an older area, built out in the 1960's. I would not want to live there personally. I don't think I'd feel safe walking around the neighborhood at night or leaving my house unattended during the day. It's unfortunate because there are some nice houses, the location is convenient, and the infrastructure and services are pretty good. The lot sizes and trees are attractive too.

If your budget is really tight, you are used to living in an inner city/urban area, and you don't plan to have kids in public school it might be an OK choice. You'd have to look at the neighborhood and specific streets in person at several different times of day and on different days of the week to see if you feel comfortable with it.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 AM

6,201 posts, read 8,676,430 times
Quote:
I see this was brought up from one of my quotes. I actually thought of this area when I got a job at 410/90. It was closer than I was before (410/10) but not right by where i was working that I did not feel safe being at after 7pm. With that being said I ended up renting at a complex at Wurzbach/Bandera and opted not to be near 410/Culebra. One reason I considered it was because it had a trail head to Leon Creek near by (I am a runner) in addition to the distance to work. As I was looking in the area there was a a drug related murder on the trail (I think it was drug related) and I noticed the traffic exiting to Culebra and 410 would back up like crazy I was trying to get away from that. I would, like I said before, consider looking just a tad bit further east if I were you for the reasons outlined by myself and others.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 451 times
I live near the corner of Bandera and Huebner. I am in an electric wheelchair. In the 4 years we have lived here I have ventured out at night and never once had a problem. Not the prettiest area but no crime that has affected me or my family..

I have previously live near Culebra and 1560 near Alamo Ranch but in the much cheaper Silver Oaks in a brand new house that we rented because of the one story floor plan. Again, very safe. I sat outside often. Lower income neighborhood that was not as well maintained as I'd have liked. It was what I'd consider a "starter neighborhood" for your 1st home.

Before that (7 years ago) in Parkwood off of Prue, not far from Bandera. That area has gone downhill in the past 15 years. The houses need maintainable that isn't being done by many BUT the school ratings are fantastic still.

Daughter just moved from an apartment near Huebner and 1604 to near Bowen and 1604 to a very affordable house $160,000 and a great rated school. The kids will graduate from O'Connor as their parents did. She previously had her kids in Potranco Elem which has high ratings but is not a great school. Look at the reviews on Greatschools.

I worked in the Stone Oak area until three years ago and it is great but traffic is heavy, as it is at Culebra and 1604. Depends on where you work. San Antonio is wonderful for all income levels. Buy where you are comfortable.

Last edited by Cynthia357; 01-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or