U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,844,842 times

Advertisements

I live in the Alamo Hts area and work in Westover Hills. Both areas are nice and obviously I prefer Alamo Hts since I live there. That said I have frequented the Alamo Ranch shopping center since it was built daily and have never had a problem. The only problem I have is the graffiti in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,358,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Thanks for the correction Steel Man... I readily admit I am horrible at N,E,W,S directions... So if Bandera runs E to W then I guess hubs didn't want to look at houses anywhere North? of Bandera???

LoL, I told you I was horrible...
You're not wrong, for San Antonio.

I-10 is an East-West interstate, but through San Antonio, it runs more North-South than East-West, or at best, Northwest/Southeast before it turns fully west. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...tonio&ie=UTF-8

Bandera Road (Hwy 16) parallels it. I-10 runs nearly parallel to 281 - picture a V. So, within city limits, or at least north of downtown, I'd refer to it as east/west of I-10, and similar for Bandera Rd.

San Antonio roads were once described to me as being spokes on a wheel.

Last edited by Chaka; 06-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: wrong map...

Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 AM

19 posts, read 36,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
You're not wrong, for San Antonio.

I-10 is an East-West interstate, but through San Antonio, it runs more North-South than East-West, or at best, Northwest/Southeast https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Needl...ie=UTF-8&hl=en before it turns fully west.

Bandera Road (Hwy 16) parallels it. I-10 runs nearly parallel to 281 - picture a V. So, within city limits, or at least north of downtown, I'd refer to it as east/west of I-10, and similar for Bandera Rd.

San Antonio roads were once described to me as being spokes on a wheel.
You are absolutely correct!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,723,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrn89 View Post
Does anyone know if a gated community deters home invasion overall? Do a large number of home invasions still occur in gated communities?
I can tell you if you are looking at the neighborhoods along Huebner in SO the guards from Sonterra drive through during the day and night--I know that includes Oaks at Sonterra across from the more expensive neighborhoods as well. Also if you run the gate they chase you down. Not sure about the other gated areas. Gates don't stop anyone determined but any measure to take to make it harder helps. I don't live in a gated neighborhood but feel safe in SO. Most break-ins are well planned out and my street has a lot of moms in and out all day. It is unlikely a normal criminal wants to run into anyone so it's probably not heir favorite area. There were some break-ins several years back but they were done around the homeowners hey specific schedule. I don't think you see much random crime in this area.

Last edited by Bobcat4; 06-19-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM

19 posts, read 36,053 times
For security and piece of mind, there is no other option than Stone Oak or the Dominion are off the IH - 10.

Those area are just in another class and at times it can almost seem like you are not in San Antonio.

Safety is key and Stone Oak is probably one of the safest areas in the San Antonio-New Braunfels Metro.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM

11,144 posts, read 20,332,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrn89 View Post
Does anyone know if a gated community deters home invasion overall? Do a large number of home invasions still occur in gated communities?
If the gate has a guard at it all the time, that deters people from running the gate. Having a guard at the gate all the time makes your HOA dues higher but for some people it's worth it.

I've had people give me the code to their gate, in the fancier subdivisions in Stone Oak, when I was buying something from them on Craigslist. It's happened several times. A gate only works well when everyone who lives within it is trying equally to keep strangers out.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM

11,144 posts, read 20,332,252 times
Oh and about home invasions, if it's a big fear of yours, then buy a gun for home defense and learn how to use it. This is a castle law state, you can shoot someone who breaks into your home, without having to wait until you feel like your life is in danger.

If anyone breaks into my house when I'm not home, they can have whatever they can carry, as long as they don't hurt my pets. I have insurance. But if somebody breaks into my house when my kids and I are home, that person will be leaving the house in a bag.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I am just glad the Katrina victims are gone from around here , San Antonio is much safer place. Lets keep it that way. Keep up the good work here.
How can you be so sure? Look at all the diversity in and around I-35 and I-410. A lot Katrina evacuees were brought there. I used to live at Newport Apartments, and there would be pit bulls running loose inside the gated complex, even that breed was supposedly banned from the complex. Every race owns pit bulls, but still, they should be on a leash.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,173,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
Here ya' folks go.

Another weekend on the "NORTH" WEST side just inside the 1604 Loop and another headline news making crime.

Alamo Ranch is just 3 miles away from this?

Would you want to live in this area???

1 of 2 suspects nabbed in home invasion | News - Home

1 of 2 suspects nabbed in home invasion
Crime happens everywhere. You can't point to one instance, or even a dozen and say someplace isn't safe. Especially when you're talking about populations this large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
The thing to remember is that there is a large number of real estate agents on here. Many go to great lengths to pump up neighborhoods, and rather unethically, for financial gain.
I must be missing how this is advantageous for them. Don't they get paid a percentage of the sale no matter where it is? Why would they care? Realtors aren't limited to just selling houses in certain neighborhoods last I checked.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM

413 posts, read 652,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I must be missing how this is advantageous for them. Don't they get paid a percentage of the sale no matter where it is? Why would they care? Realtors aren't limited to just selling houses in certain neighborhoods last I checked.
It might not be personally advantageous at this moment but overall pumping up an area will slowly increase values and therefore commission. It's easier to pump up the value of a cheaper neighborhood.

Many agents also buy foreclosures and cheap properties in bad areas, pump them up, and sell them. We've seen this on here already with areas east of downtown. Go to bcad.org and search for some of the agents on here that have publicized their names and see what they own. This isn't breaking news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or