U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,180,394 times

Advertisements

I'm not doing your research for you. Prove what you're saying or stop claiming it.
You make a lot of negative comments about this area of town but have little real proof to back it up.

We get it, you don't like this area but many people think it's a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 AM

332 posts, read 463,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrn89 View Post
Does anyone know if a gated community deters home invasion overall? Do a large number of home invasions still occur in gated communities?
depends on wether or not the gate is staffed. if unmanned, not really, as you can just wait for someone to drive in. if its manned, then yes, the guard (or whomever) on duty makes sure you actually live there or have business there.

im sure you could lie, but knowing the gate wont open if the guy doesnt open it would (in my opinion) deter a lot of criminal activity.

ive even seen apartment complexes that have EXIT codes for their gates now!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM

41 posts, read 74,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
depends on wether or not the gate is staffed. if unmanned, not really, as you can just wait for someone to drive in. if its manned, then yes, the guard (or whomever) on duty makes sure you actually live there or have business there.

im sure you could lie, but knowing the gate wont open if the guy doesnt open it would (in my opinion) deter a lot of criminal activity.

We haven't looked in any subdivisions where the gate was staffed.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,386,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
There's a complex ove by 151, an older place now, though was new at the time and the only thing around, that has an exit code. Always freaked me out -1. because I often forgot it when visiting friends and 2. because I always wondered what would happen if I was in a rush (say, hurrying off to the hospital) or if there was a fire (I'm from SoCal, and have had to drive away from a brush fire, so it's hard to get out of that mindset). I don't like that idea of being trapped behind a gate. But then I don't even like any subdivision, gated or not, that only has one entrance/exit. I much prefer multiple access routes. But then, I'm also not hyperparanoid about house theft/attack....it happens, but we feel extremely safe where we are (downtown).

Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM

852 posts, read 931,238 times
I seriously can't believe all of the AR bashing. I live here and love it. We've had NO issues what so ever, the neighbors are great, love how close shopping/dining is, traffic isn't near as bad as the SO area, etc etc. How anyone could compare this area to Moderator cut: orphaned a ghetto is beyond me. Are they referring to a different AR?? Sure, inside 1604 isn't impressive but it doesn't impact us at all. Are these folks just trying to get people to live in SO so it can be even more conjested than it already is???? It's already a crazy nightmare over there why make it worse?? I don't get it at all

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 36,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I seriously can't believe all of the AR bashing. I live here and love it. We've had NO issues what so ever, the neighbors are great, love how close shopping/dining is, traffic isn't near as bad as the SO area, etc etc. How anyone could compare this area to Moderator cut: orphaned a ghetto is beyond me. Are they referring to a different AR?? Sure, inside 1604 isn't impressive but it doesn't impact us at all. Are these folks just trying to get people to live in SO so it can be even more conjested than it already is???? It's already a crazy nightmare over there why make it worse?? I don't get it at all
Alamo Ranch is far from the elite status that communities such the Dominion or various neighborhoods in Stone Oak are.

Alamo Ranch is new and not too bad right now but it is surrounded by ghettos. It makes no sense to spend 200K on a house in a neighborhood that is just 2-3 minutes away from a stretch of neighborhoods that are worth 1/3 of the houses in Alamo Ranch.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Precisely one of the reasons we didn't buy in SO or the Dominion areas. We aren't "elite" kind of folks nor do we pretend to be such. We are hard working, community involved, family oriented, fun loving kind of people who want to live around like minded folks. "Elite" to me equals snobs and from much of what I've read on this site, there are quite a few of those living in SO and I just don't care to be a party to that culture. I'm sure there are some great down to Earth folks in SO but I've not seen much evidence of that on this site so I'll just keep my money and my family over here in the "ghetto" thank you very much

Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM

19 posts, read 36,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Precisely one of the reasons we didn't buy in SO or the Dominion areas. We aren't "elite" kind of folks nor do we pretend to be such. We are hard working, community involved, family oriented, fun loving kind of people who want to live around like minded folks. "Elite" to me equals snobs and from much of what I've read on this site, there are quite a few of those living in SO and I just don't care to be a party to that culture. I'm sure there are some great down to Earth folks in SO but I've not seen much evidence of that on this site so I'll just keep my money and my family over here in the "ghetto" thank you very much
Whatever makes you happy

Have fun living 2 miles away from sec. 8 housing.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,297,690 times
Don't hate on section 8....

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
Whatever makes you happy

Have fun living 2 miles away from sec. 8 housing.

Ya know some of the nicest and most respectful people around live in section 8 housing. People go through hard times and need help until they can get back on their feet. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-21-2012 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: no personal comments - attack the idea but do not attack the speaker of the idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or