U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:01 AM

656 posts, read 1,682,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanantoniomike View Post
What you say is true but what Ron says is true too. SA doesn't have high finance or stock markets or investment banks or hedge funds (that I know of) and such industries.
There is at least one headquartered here. US Global Investors they offer about a dozen Mutual Funds mostly focused on foreign stocks. GROW on the NYSE. They have in the neighborhood of 80 employees in San Antonio including traders and analysts.

About Us - U.S. Global Investors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 116,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
There is at least one headquartered here. US Global Investors they offer about a dozen Mutual Funds mostly focused on foreign stocks. GROW on the NYSE. They have in the neighborhood of 80 employees in San Antonio including traders and analysts.

About Us - U.S. Global Investors

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised they don't focus on energy. Initially I was contrasting Chicago which has an actual exchange to SA which has none. Dallas doesn't have an exchange but they have a FED branch and lots of big banks with HQs or major corporate offices. In high school we took a field trip to the NYSE (the trading floor visiting overlook) and the underground gold reserve at the FED (there wasn't as much gold as I thought there would be but I hear they've been stocking up recently)...I bet both are off limits today.

I turned that lifestyle down because the pursuit of (primarily) money seemed so worthless. I was told the average life expectancy of an investment banks is 45 years. The runners on the stock market floors work 110+ hour weeks and low pay with the hopes to move up the ladder (only to die young?). I figured better to be middle class and enjoy life than rich and dead.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM

239 posts, read 387,413 times
...and of course we give out tacos as soon as you step off the plane!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,285 times
...which will also result in an average life expectancy of 45 years.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
According to the salary.com comparison tool, if you make $100,000/yr in San Antonio, you would have to earn a salary of $126,164 to maintain your current standard of living in Chicago, where the cost of living is 26.2% higher than in San Antonio, TX.

So to turn that around, if you made the same amount ($100,000/yr) in Chicago, then you'd only need to make $79,262/yr to maintain your current standard of living in San Antonio.

Additionally, that same site states "Employers in San Antonio, TX typically pay 12.1% less than employers in Chicago, IL . Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in San Antonio, TX you are likely to earn $87,947," a net increase in disposable income of $8,686!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
Sorry but Chicago is one of the last places I would consider living. San Antonio is great, low housing prices and IT is expanding here. Home prices are very low, gas is low and there is lots of thing to do because in IL most of the year is so cold you have to stay in side so much, unless you love ice fishing.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,410,017 times
Default Chicago Winters,

If living in frigidity is your choice Chicago is great, but the traffic is horrendous and it is so big a city !!!!!!!
Besides ice fishing, Charlie Brown -Don't leave out - ice hockey, snowmobiling, ice skating, Ice sailing,yes, a sailboat on skis, downhill skiing, cross country skiing, ice sculptures , polar bear dips, and freezing your behind off with frostbite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown737 View Post
Sorry but Chicago is one of the last places I would consider living. San Antonio is great, low housing prices and IT is expanding here. Home prices are very low, gas is low and there is lots of thing to do because in IL most of the year is so cold you have to stay in side so much, unless you love ice fishing.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 22,874 times
SA is not very dynamic there is not much of a professional demo-graph here. Once it gets HOT it stays hot for 7 months as in stay indoors kinda heat. There isnt much culture here and the downtown area is microscopic with little to see or do. There is one desirable living area in SA which is the Northwest quadrant the rest is not very pretty. The sales taxes are high at 8.125 with an increase on the way. The real estate taxes are ridiculously high. Dont let the old "cost of living" nonsense trick you...Remember you get what you pay for. Select Chicago, my family lived close to Naperville and they are ready to move back from this nuclear heat.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,246,110 times
Comparing Chicago and San Antonio is like comparing Audi and Kia. And Chicago is the Audi incase anyone is confused.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
SA is not very dynamic there is not much of a professional demo-graph here. Once it gets HOT it stays hot for 7 months as in stay indoors kinda heat. There isnt much culture here and the downtown area is microscopic with little to see or do. There is one desirable living area in SA which is the Northwest quadrant the rest is not very pretty. The sales taxes are high at 8.125 with an increase on the way. The real estate taxes are ridiculously high. Dont let the old "cost of living" nonsense trick you...Remember you get what you pay for. Select Chicago, my family lived close to Naperville and they are ready to move back from this nuclear heat.
Most of us have learned to deal with the heat, and having lived in both climates, I will tell you it is easier to adapt to the heat than extreme cold!

But your comments about lacking culture here demonstrates to me that you've never stepped foot in San Antonio. There is not only the expected Mexican/Hispanic/Latino influence, but also German and Czech as well as many others. San Antonio has always been a melting pot of foreign cultures, just look at the nationalities of those who fought and died at the Alamo to see how this city has drawn in people from all over the world.

And yeah, the cost of living "nonsense" is a "trick." Statistics prove that the standard of living is higher in SA as compared to Chicago. It's not some magic being deployed by the city, it's from a compensation and human resource management solutions company whose services are used by compensation professionals for compensation planning. The owners of that website (salary.com)--Kenexa Corporation--provides employment and retention solutions to assist organizations in hiring and keeping workers. It employees 2600+ individuals and made over $156M last year. They have no reason to choose SA over Chicago other than the well researched statistics...

So explain the logic of this somehow being a "trick" to me...I'm waiting to hear your explanation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or