Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 PM

841 posts, read 1,742,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
I highly suggest New Braunfels, Schertz/Cibolo, Stone Oak and the areas on the far north side of San Antonio.

Yes, traveling into the inner city and Ft. Sam will be longer but those North areas are SAFE and CLEAN and have the best schools overall. Alamo Heights in a nice inner city area with great schools but it is still inside the 410 Loop and as all locals know, that is usually means unsafe.

Please do research and ask a realtor to give you the honest truth on where in San Antonio is safe.

Simple....(can't say 'truth' because most of what you say is incorrect at best), please take your own advice and do some research before making such comments. Strange that Whole Foods, Central Market, and Trader Joe's would all decide to put their first (and except for Whole Foods, only) San Antonio stores inside of 410.

Now back to the original question. For a newer home in the $200-250k range with a big yard, New Braunfels, Schertz may actually be a good suggestion. I don't think you will find much of anything in that price range (i.e., need to start around $300k) in the subdivisions Smuboy mentioned with the exception of Windcrest (built 1970's-80's). Northwood (from the mid-1950's) is known for its large lots, and you CAN find something in your target range, but it will probably require some "updating".

Since no one else has said it yet... welcome to San Antonio! You will soon find out why so many of our military families (including my parents) were from somewhere else, got stationed here, and then stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,770 times
Thank you so much for your input. I will do my own research but I find it very helpful to hear all the opinions that are out there.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,537,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
Alamo Heights in a nice inner city area with great schools but it is still inside the 410 Loop and as all locals know, that is usually means unsafe.
LOL at Alamo Heights being described as "inner city" and "unsafe."

It's been called a lot of things, but inner city and unsafe aren't among them....techincally, it's a suburb of San Antonio, one of the first, very old money.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,425,841 times
Windcrest, Alamo heights, Terrell hills, and olmos park all have their own police force which in this case means the absolute safest areas of the city. In fact all those police departments request that when residents go on vacation they be notified so they can do drive by checks

Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM

62 posts, read 105,082 times
Terrell Heights might fit the bill for you. It's very close to Ft Sam and within AHISD. In your budget, the houses will probably be on the smaller side but you might be able to find something. Terrell Heights is right next to Alamo Heights, Northwood, and other neighborhoods that previous people recommended. And seriously, Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, etc are all as safe as you'll find in any city. I mean, seriously, the thought that these places are crime-ridden totally makes me laugh.

Per your question about commute...I honestly wouldn't want to consider living in NB and commuting to Ft Sam. It would just eat up too much of the day.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,265,121 times
Well, my favorote area for newer homes with great schools in that price range are Stone Oak and Encino Park BUT the drive would be over 30 minutes during peak times. Along 281 inside 1604 there are a few newer neighborhoods. We lived off Jones Maltaberger in the new section of Heritage Oaks and the houses were nice and it should be within that commute time. Schools are Coker, Bradley MS and Churchill HS. They ranked well last time I checked. Some streets in the area are Macarthur HS rather than Churchill. Some people love that school but the people on our street were snobby about it. We moved to SO before our son started school so can't compare. I believe the zip code over there is 78232 but it is a big zip code so you'll have to check the school boundaries if you look there. I personally only drive on 35 if forced or if I just have to drive to the outlet in San Marcos. But that's me, got hit on it years ago and it intimidates me!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it here. We love our military here in SA. We sold our previous SO house to someone at Ft Sam and our neighbo drove to Lackland so even "way out here" in Stone Oak we have military making the drive. Guess I'll have to see if they are "mentally ill"

Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM

145 posts, read 378,204 times
We are military and just purchased a home in Stone Oak a couple of months ago and yes my husband commutes " all the way to Ft Sam Houston". We are at the corner of Wilderness and Hardy Oak so we are up in Stone Oak and my husband's commute to the base is 30 minutes either way. I believe we are 20 miles from the base and my husband says its a pretty painless drive until, you get to the gate. We mainly choose Stone Oak for the school district and also for the fact that we could afford a newer 4 bedroom house with a pool.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM

Darn Kindle moves my curser all around deleting letters in the wrong places--I really can spell. Back to the topic. IF you are interested in Stone Oak/Encino Park the zip codes out here are 78258 and 78259. A bit further out it is 78260 but that would add to the commute.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM

145 posts, read 378,204 times
Concerning my post above our zip is 78260

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM

I didn't realize it started that close in. I thought it was along 281 out Overlook Canyon way. Good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio