U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
210 is a PAST member?????
where did he go? what happened????
Hopefully he'll be back Pops! I don't know specifics but our moderator had to enforce the TOS rules one time too many! We miss you 210! Now promise to behave and come back!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
I've been to DC/MD area and honestly I think if you can navigate that area you'll eventually be fine here. Some people complain about the "layout" of this city, but it was not planned on the usual "grid" system most cities have. Bexar County and San Antonio have been a hub for all things Spanish and Mexican for over 250 years, on into the Republic of Texas and into US Statehood. The city/county has had numerous governments and has evolved differently than most cities, which makes our road system unconventional at best!

That being said, we're now under a lot of construction to accomodate lots of new growth in the city. Once you get settled, you'll find the best routes that suit your commute and community needs. I can just about get anywhere in the city and avoid the freeways completely. You'll be fine in no time!

Good luck and keep us posted on your arrival! And Welcome to SA!!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:18 PM

178 posts, read 703,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
AKF -

I'm still getting a handle on the highway system in SA, and I haven't even moved out there yet (but I will be, like, in a month or so).

To compare to 495/95 in MD/VA/DC -

410, to me, is the equivalent of 495 around DC. You have I35 which I'd liken to I95 coming into 495 from Baltimore, and I10 would be analogous to 270 heading out to Frederick. ALSO, the major Interstates running into downtown SA would be kinda analogous to the whole 295/50/395 mess in downtown DC, at least as far as I can tell looking at the maps. 1604 is 5-10 miles outside of 410 (depending on which site of town you're on - it's closer to 5 on the west side, and 7-9 on the south and east sides), and would be as if there were a second loop around DC that would run through, say Gaithersburg south-west to Great Falls/Reston continuing around to brush the south side of Fort Belvoir before crossing the Potomac into northern Charles County/southern Prince George's County, then roughly following 301 to 197 around through Laurel then just south of Olney and back into Gaithersburg. Or take 100 and have it go around Baltimore, cutting through Randallstown, Owings Mills, Cockeysville and then ending at I95 in Perry Hall or Joppa.

Sorry for the wall o' text. Would be easier to draw on a map than to describe, truthfully.
Any SA natives want to critique that mess? I think I'm describing it relatively accurately, but...
It's been a few years since I've driven through metro DC but I'd say your fairly accurate. Now traffic in SA is nowhere near as the nightmare DC has to offer though.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF View Post
Hi everyone,

We visited San Antonio a few months ago. The city was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The only problem, I am scared to death of all the roads...the overpass from the highways. I do not recall the highway numbers but I remember feeling very overwhelmed and scared. We did not stick around to truly "see" anything because I felt totally out of sync. We would like to come back again but I am almost too afraid. (We took an exit and almost fell off! It was dark and it seemed like the road hadn't been completed. Of course it did NOT help that we were being tailgated.) Can anyone tell me what "parts" of SA are considered "safe" and what areas to avoid? Is there another way to get into the city without having to get on the highway? Also, I am interested in finding out if you have to pay to get into the museums, galleries etc.

Thanks!
Hiya AFK....
Don't be alarmed or scared... Nighttime is definitely NOT the best time to get acquainted with the roadways throughout San Antonio. I have lived in a few different states in the US, have traveled to and through many others and I have to tell you, driving in SA literally had me dizzy when I first moved here.

For me, the problem was way bigger than understanding the two loops and the concept of being 'inside' or 'outside' the loop. To further complicate things, when I first arrived (via car), I was simply following a 'triptik' created by AAA (which now uses mapquest; I'm glad it was free!) and I paid no attention to E, W, S, N, etc. I just followed the turn by turn directions. So when I got to my destination I had it in my head that to get from 1604 to my relative's residence was traveling a certain direction. It was actually the opposite and I was lost every single time I left the house. I finally drew out the two loops and the main interstates, I-10 and I-35 on several post it notes.... I always had one nearby and always kept one in my wallet and one stuck to my dashboard....... I have to use mapquest and or my navigator on my cell phone to fnd many places.....
but.... don't try to drive around at night too much until you've familiarized yourself with that route......

This is a very earthy, laid back, friendly, growing community and I have been very happy here.... Feels like my So Cal homeland......

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 PM

634 posts, read 2,704,081 times
210 is an awful road going downtown.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,953 times
I think you mean 281. But its one of the nicest in town (inside 410) there are sharp curves but thats why we have speed limits. The scenery is awesome for an urban freeway. The only bridge in this town to fret about is the 410/10 interchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or